A funny way to read the novel.

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
Kelsiermist.

A funny way to read the novel.

Post by Kelsiermist. » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:53 am

Time ago, after i read the novel a couple of times, i decided to started again, so, i take it one night, and,instead of begin a new rereading, i told myself: What about to follow the perspective of one character and just read the chapters (or parts) when he/she appears? :think:
So, i start this kind of "literary game" with Oskar (obviously) and it was like read a short tale, hidden in the novel, :lol: wich give me a new viewpoint of the characters (also i could focus in the development of each one). Of course, this is better with the main characters, i had to omit this with the most irrelevants (like Oskar's mother).
I don't know if this is possible in other versions of the novel (i don't know how it's structured in the original version, how is the division of the chapters, etc.), but, don't know, would you like to try this crazy way of read? :D have you ever make something similar to this? (skip one chapter to follow the plot of Oskar or Eli?).

bluezephyr

Re: A funny way to read the novel.

Post by bluezephyr » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:25 pm

I think it's a great idea. Only thing is you'd have to read the book like you said a couple times so you get the context of each characters situation. For example when Oskar' s mom scolds him you'll understand why. :lol: Very good technique though if you want to go in depth. Might try it later.

Pissball

Re: A funny way to read the novel.

Post by Pissball » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:16 pm

I thought in that too.
Actually, it's also an interesting approach for a screen script (maybe a new adaptation could do that, instead, we had LMI) and for ff (a short story about the woman with cancer before and after her encounter with Eli, or the guy with the rolex eated up by Hakan, etc).
JAL opted for a linear narrative, which was the right decision since the film focused heavily on the relationship of Eli and Oskar and most of the subplots were obviously eliminated.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”