Seasons greeting no.10

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
johnajvide

Seasons greeting no.10

Post by johnajvide » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:58 pm

My, oh my.
So this is actually the TENTH time I write to you all on this special time of the year?
Amazing that at least quite a few of those that were here from the beginning still linger and that every once in a while a new infected join the ranks.
It has been quite a busy year. I still meddle in three different projects for film and television, maybe starting a fourth. Best news is that unexpected and vital life has been blown into my movie adaptation of Handling the Undead, making it look quite promising.
Bookwise I have published "Fail again, fail better", a meditation on writing, based in my 1500+ pages of notes for all of my novels. No word on any translation of that. I have published one (really good, actually) short story. "The Keeper´s Companion" in the anthology "Shining in the dark", celebrating Stephen King. Another short story "Night Rowing" was published seperately by Novellix. And finally a prose adaptation of a story in the swedish comic "Bamse". The final one being the most enjoyable, as I have always been a big fan of Bamse. The second part in The Places trilogy "I always find you" came out in english in the summer.
I have travelled around a bit, following the movie "Border", based on my short story and with a script co-written by me. Came back from Seville a few days ago, where the movie was nominated in four categories in the European Film Awards. Didn´t get any, though. "Cold War" got them all. It was also Sweden´s submission to the Academy awards, but alas it didn´t make it to the final rounds. It´s a wonderful, wonderful movie and if you get the chance to see it, do.
A lot of time this year has gone into writing scripts and right now I´m writing a play for a theater in Stockholm.
But! In three weeks time we are going to Cuba for seven weeks and there I will concentrate fully on my next novel, "The Kindness". I expect it to be quite long and "epic" in scale, so it will take some time to finish. I have written about a 100 pages and I´m just getting started. It might turn out to be my best novel so far, if I can keep it together. Until then, I still consider "Little Star" to be my best work.
Me and my wife still play Pokemon Go, now on level 37. The other day we got a Switch for ours and the family´s amusement during the holidays, otherwise we trudge on with "Red Dead Redemption" (Or "Horse Simulator 2" as someone in the family called it). Oh, if you get a chance to catch the series "The Terror", I can recommend it. And of course the thing I blubber about to anyone who hasnt seen it, the spanish heist-series "Casa de papel". Great fun and excitement.
That´s it, basically. I´m still overflowing with ideas and there are so many things I want to write. I actually also have the embryo for a proper follow-up to Let the right one in, not a short story but a full novel. First I want to write "The Kindness", and then a novel based on structure of the video game "Forbidden Siren" which will be kalled "Värdet" ("The Value"). But after that I just might return to Oskar and Eli, in the present day. We´ll see.
Have yourselves a very merry christmas and may Santa grant you all you wish for.

John

gkmoberg1

Re: Seasons greeting no.10

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:04 pm

Life has you busy! As well you are engaged creatively not just in the present but with plans and yet more plans. Cheers to your 2019 and Cuba and those 100 pages and perhaps even level 38

be-me-a-little

Post by be-me-a-little » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:23 pm

Merry Christmas John! Thank you so much for keeping us updated on how you're doing! I so look forward to reading your new stories in the new year!
I will also say, 'Border' is my favorite film of the year!
perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood

SpartanAltego

Post by SpartanAltego » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:33 pm

Happy holidays, John. May your new year begin with promise and fulfillment (and additional opportunities to scour the land for Pokémon with your wife).
"The dark is patient, and it always wins. But its weakness lies in its strength: a single candle is enough to hold it at bay. Love is more than a candle. Love can ignite the stars." - Matthew Stover

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:32 pm

Wow, so many irons in the fire! Live life to the fullest, sir, as we eagerly await more amazing yarns!

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:14 am

Always great to read your words. :)
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Microwave Jellyfish

Post by Microwave Jellyfish » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:30 pm

Thank you so much for still taking the time to check in! Also to Woofy for keeping the site alive. I remember the first JAL post and its impact - never would've thought it will become this sweet yearly tradition.

All of you, John included, have a good one this year, yeah?
And we danced, on the brink of an unknown future, to an echo from a vanished past.

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:01 am

Thanks, Jon. Looking forward to all your new stuff. Also waiting anxiously for "Border" to arrive in San Francisco.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

Phobos

Post by Phobos » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:40 pm

hope you all had a nice christmas and happy holidays.
I have a Switch too, so we could connect as friends via switch-online :roll:
Liberate me ex damnatio

abner_mohl

Post by abner_mohl » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:15 am

Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year :)

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”