Would you sell your blood to Eli?

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
Phobos

Would you sell your blood to Eli?

Post by Phobos » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:27 pm

After re-reading the book, i can´t get the basement scene out of my head, in which Eli "buys" blood. First this would be a solution to obtain blood without killing or infecting anyone. And i also asked myself if i would have sold my blood. The answer is defently YES. I wouldn´t even demand any payment. Well.... i would have asked Eli if i may hold his hand while he was drinking. But i wouldn´t insist on it if it´s to repulsive...
Liberate me ex damnatio

SpartanAltego

Re: Would you sell your blood to Eli?

Post by SpartanAltego » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:13 am

I would have multiple questions, but if Eli waved a stack of cash in my face I'd probably stop talking quick. I'd prefer a needle and tube to a razor across a vein though - y'owch.
"The dark is patient, and it always wins. But its weakness lies in its strength: a single candle is enough to hold it at bay. Love is more than a candle. Love can ignite the stars." - Matthew Stover

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:30 am

Eli goes back to the basement to check on Tommy. There is worry here, then, that ummm, things might always go so well. That Eli had a pack of razors and had a technique in mind indicates he has done this before. And that he was worried enough to check on Tommy later further suggests the outcome has not always been the desirable one.

Ergo, I'll forgo selling any to Eli. Thanks, but no thanks.

cmfireflies

Post by cmfireflies » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:07 am

gkmoberg1 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:30 am
Eli goes back to the basement to check on Tommy. There is worry here, then, that ummm, things might always go so well. That Eli had a pack of razors and had a technique in mind indicates he has done this before. And that he was worried enough to check on Tommy later further suggests the outcome has not always been the desirable one.

Are you sure? You'd be helping Eli and quite possibly saving a life. It's a doubly good deed.
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:13 am

cmfireflies wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:07 am
gkmoberg1 wrote:

Are you sure? You'd be helping Eli and quite possibly saving a life. It's a doubly good deed.
Are we talking about your life? A doubly good deed, then, indeed!

:think: 8-)

cmfireflies

Post by cmfireflies » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:20 am

gkmoberg1 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:13 am
cmfireflies wrote:
gkmoberg1 wrote:

You lack of trust wounds Eli, I was thinking of some other poor victim.
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:40 am

cmfireflies wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:20 am
gkmoberg1 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:13 am
cmfireflies wrote:

You lack of trust wounds Eli, I was thinking of some other poor victim.
Ohhh, yes, some other poor victim. Not naming any names (not even ha! not telling!! ), but okay I'll excuse any of the fanfic writers. Okay, any of the forum members. Probably. Maybe. Yeh, maybe.

But on the other hand, if it doesn't go so well, all bets are off :twisted:

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:41 am

gkmoberg1 wrote:

Hmm...I tend to think that Eli would come back to check on him because losing a liter of blood, although not fatal, is certainly enough to make Tommy more likely to faint, or at least be a bit wobbly on his feet. If merely putting her mouth against his arm and drinking blood would do it, wouldn't Oskar be in danger when Eli kisses him with (probably contaminated) bloody lips? Or Oskar might have canker sores, small scrapes, etc. :think:

As for me, I wouldn't charge Eli anything. ;) But I do know a few folks out there I might want her to visit in her other capacity, as a personal favor... :o ;)
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:04 am

I can see a lot of WTI lining up.Pick me Eli,pick me. :lol: We would be her little smorgasbord.There would be "snack" members.The skinny ones.Then "main meal" ones.The more portly of us. :lol: Seriously though,I don't think I'd do it.The fact that Eli checks on Tommy implies some sort of risk involved.Having said that Eli would never put Oskar in danger but from memory she just sort of fiddles with a piece of skin and stops when it falls off? So maybe she has to take a good old bite for the infection to be transmitted? :think: I think there are a few people I'd like her to meet.I could even introduce her saying (with a little smirk on my face).."Say hello to my little friend" :lol:
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:53 am

ltroifanatic wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:04 am
I can see a lot of WTI lining up.Pick me Eli,pick me. :lol: We would be her little smorgasbord.There would be "snack" members.The skinny ones.Then "main meal" ones.The more portly of us. :lol: Seriously though,I don't think I'd do it.The fact that Eli checks on Tommy implies some sort of risk involved.Having said that Eli would never put Oskar in danger but from memory she just sort of fiddles with a piece of skin and stops when it falls off? So maybe she has to take a good old bite for the infection to be transmitted? :think: I think there are a few people I'd like her to meet.I could even introduce her saying (with a little smirk on my face).."Say hello to my little friend" :lol:
What you wrote makes a lot of sense. Still, um, I could use a few shekels. :think:
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”