Was Oskar and Eli planing on leaving or was it spontaneous?

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
OskarTheArsonist

Was Oskar and Eli planing on leaving or was it spontaneous?

Post by OskarTheArsonist » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:27 pm

When I first read the book I thought that they where originally going to separate which is why Eli left and also explains Oskars depressed and indifferent mood at the end. After re reading it however im starting to think that they where planning to meet up again. Which one do you guys think?
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"

metoo

Re: Was Oskar and Eli planing on leaving or was it spontaneous?

Post by metoo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:21 pm

OskarTheArsonist wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:27 pm
When I first read the book I thought that they where originally going to separate which is why Eli left and also explains Oskars depressed and indifferent mood at the end. After re reading it however im starting to think that they where planning to meet up again. Which one do you guys think?
I think they did not plan to meet up. Like you say, I see no reason for Oskar to be in such a desolate mood if he had hopes of seeing Eli again. What’s leading you to reconsider that thought?

To continue my thoughts, I also think that Eli did go away, quite far away. He would have had to, in order to remain safe. To stay behind while letting Oskar believe he had gone would be just pointless.

So, something happened that made Eli return. Personally, I think he was in a similar mood as Oskar and found that he couldn’t continue his old life. He held out for three days (or nights), and then gave up and returned. For what? Meeting Oskar? I think not. He knew that it would only hurt, himself as well as Oskar, and he surely wouldn’t want the latter. A favourite idea of mine is that his intentions were to secretly catch a last glimpse of Oskar, and then to continue to some remote islet in the Stockholm archipelago and greet the sun the next morning.

But things turned out differently.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:45 am

OskarTheArsonist wrote:
Hi Oskar.I'm with Metoo on this.I've never got the feeling that they had planned to meet up again.Eli asks him if he wants to be like him and Oskar refuses and Eli understands.Even if Oskar wasn't infected,Eli knows how dangerous it would be for them to meet again and would never let Oskar's life be in danger.After 3 days of heartbreak he goes back just to see his love for one last time.I like Metoo's ending (I'm a sucker for romance).Beautiful little Eli watching something he hasn't seen in hundreds of years and thinking of Oskar.His last thought before the sun kills him is of himself and Oscar being together after death,forever. :cry:
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

OskarTheArsonist

Post by OskarTheArsonist » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:18 am

metoo wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:21 pm
OskarTheArsonist wrote:
I think they did not plan to meet up. Like you say, I see no reason for Oskar to be in such a desolate mood if he had hopes of seeing Eli again. What’s leading you to reconsider that thought?

To continue my thoughts, I also think that Eli did go away, quite far away. He would have had to, in order to remain safe. To stay behind while letting Oskar believe he had gone would be just pointless.

So, something happened that made Eli return. Personally, I think he was in a similar mood as Oskar and found that he couldn’t continue his old life. He held out for three days (or nights), and then gave up and returned. For what? Meeting Oskar? I think not. He knew that it would only hurt, himself as well as Oskar, and he surely wouldn’t want the latter. A favourite idea of mine is that his intentions were to secretly catch a last glimpse of Oskar, and then to continue to some remote islet in the Stockholm archipelago and greet the sun the next morning.

But things turned out differently.
what lead me to reconsider was that Eli gave Oskar everything that he had except the rubix cube and a small amount of money. this of course set of alarms since I can see Eli giving Oskar a lot but giving him pretty much everything would greatly hurt Eli's chances of survival since he would have to start worrying about money again. this made me think there where going to meet up after things with the police cooled down and Oskar was holding on to everything until then. your idea dose also explain this though ;) .

OskarTheArsonist

Post by OskarTheArsonist » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:28 am

ltroifanatic wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:45 am
OskarTheArsonist wrote:
Hi Oskar.I'm with Metoo on this.I've never got the feeling that they had planned to meet up again.Eli asks him if he wants to be like him and Oskar refuses and Eli understands.Even if Oskar wasn't infected,Eli knows how dangerous it would be for them to meet again and would never let Oskar's life be in danger.After 3 days of heartbreak he goes back just to see his love for one last time.I like Metoo's ending (I'm a sucker for romance).Beautiful little Eli watching something he hasn't seen in hundreds of years and thinking of Oskar.His last thought before the sun kills him is of himself and Oscar being together after death,forever. :cry:
maybe Eli confessing to Oskar about how he felt and what he was going to do convinced Oskar to be with him. I know this is wistful thinking but I really hope John dose a sequel continuing right after the pool scene. I would just love to see how they decided to live together forever, seeing the blood mixing scene from Eli's and Oskar's perspectives, and how Oskar adjusts to being a vampire. do you also see the insane amount of potential for a sequel or do you think i'm just crazy?

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:01 am

You're right there is tons of potential and I've often daydreamed about a sequel but I think we shouldn't tamper with perfection.Any sequel just wouldn't cut it (imo) and might even be harmful and taint the original.Having said that,there are lots of great FF stories that go into detail about Eli and Oskars adventures after the pool scene. :D
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

metoo

Post by metoo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:56 pm

OskarTheArsonist wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:18 am
what lead me to reconsider was that Eli gave Oskar everything that he had except the rubix cube and a small amount of money. this of course set of alarms since I can see Eli giving Oskar a lot but giving him pretty much everything would greatly hurt Eli's chances of survival since he would have to start worrying about money again. this made me think there where going to meet up after things with the police cooled down and Oskar was holding on to everything until then. your idea dose also explain this though .
Well, I agree that this may give rise to suspicions whether Eli and Oskar were planning to meet again.

However, Oskar's depression after Eli's departure trumps that, in my opinion. That, and Oskar's rejection of Eli's offer. Oskar didn't want to become a vampire, and I think he understood that he wouldn't be able to run away with Eli otherwise. You need to be a vampire in order to live like one.

Now, the reason that Eli didn't bring his stuff may have been that he simply couldn't. He had planned calling for a taxi, but that was before Lacke showed up in his bathroom. That would have made things substantially more urgent, and perhaps made him decide to forsake things in favour of agility. "He brought just a few one thousand kronor notes and the cube." Perhaps he planned to fly? That would have allowed him to put a very long distance between him and Blackeberg rather quickly, but would also have prevented him from carrying anything. His arms would have been occupied as wings.

I have re-read some of the end of the novel, to see if I can discover anything that might clarify this, but alas, no success. I have of course read those pages many times before, so that isn't too surprising. There is no reason mentioned for why Oskar took care of Eli's belongings. We have to come up with our own. Personally, I think that Oskar and Eli realised that somebody would eventually come to Eli's apartment and discover what was there. The less traces of Eli then, the better. And Eli did remove the Morse paper taped to the wall.

Regarding the money, I think that it might not be very essential to Eli's survival. After all, he brought just a few thousand kronor when leaving. Furthermore, all Eli's money appears to be relatively new. There were no mentioning of any old money. Swedish bank notes have changed a lot during times, and Oskar would have noticed any unusual money as he rummaged through them in the basement after Eli had left. So I conclude there were none, and that Eli had acquired his money recently. He also was remarkably careless with it. All in all, this makes me think that Eli more often than not had been moneyless, and that this didn't bother him much.
OskarTheArsonist wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:28 am
maybe Eli confessing to Oskar about how he felt and what he was going to do convinced Oskar to be with him. I know this is wistful thinking but I really hope John dose a sequel continuing right after the pool scene. I would just love to see how they decided to live together forever, seeing the blood mixing scene from Eli's and Oskar's perspectives, and how Oskar adjusts to being a vampire. do you also see the insane amount of potential for a sequel or do you think i'm just crazy?
I have thought about this a lot. Did Eli persuade Oskar to run away with him? Did he do anything at all to encourage Oskar to come with him?

I tend to prefer thinking that he did not. I Like the idea that Oskar made up his mind entirely on his own.

That said, I have also thought a lot about what made them wait so many hours before leaving together. One possible reason is that Oskar didn't make up his mind until late in the morning. From his reaction to Eli's attack on Lacke, we might conclude that Oskar wasn't comfortable with that part of being a vampire. One idea I have contemplated is that Oskar perhaps was unsure about whether he would be capable of doing it. He might have spent the morning thinking about accepting Eli's offer, but what if he just could't do the killing? If that was the case, he might have asked Eli about it. And Eli would have explained - but what would he have told Oskar?
ltroifanatic wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:01 am
You're right there is tons of potential and I've often daydreamed about a sequel but I think we shouldn't tamper with perfection.Any sequel just wouldn't cut it (imo) and might even be harmful and taint the original.Having said that,there are lots of great FF stories that go into detail about Eli and Oskars adventures after the pool scene.
This is rather exactly my opinion as well.

That said, I hope that JAL might write the occasional short story about something completely different, but let Oskar and Eli swiftly pass by - similar to LtODD. Just a hint of what happened to them.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

OskarTheArsonist

Post by OskarTheArsonist » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:09 pm

ltroifanatic wrote:
You're right there is tons of potential and I've often daydreamed about a sequel but I think we shouldn't tamper with perfection.Any sequel just wouldn't cut it (imo) and might even be harmful and taint the original.Having said that,there are lots of great FF stories that go into detail about Eli and Oskars adventures after the pool scene. :D
Normally I would agree with you and meto, when the story is over the author should let it die or it would end up tainting it. However I did not go away from the ending satisfied because there is still things to tell. I do like the idea of FF and I have an idea for a story myself I would like to write eventually, but I don't think anyone could ever truly grasp the essence of Oskar and Eli as characters like JAL did let alone change them like how the events after the blood mixing scene would have done. Why do you guys think a sequel could only taint LTROI? :?:

OskarTheArsonist

Post by OskarTheArsonist » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:20 pm

metoo wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:56 pm
OskarTheArsonist wrote:
what lead me to reconsider was that Eli gave Oskar everything that he had except the rubix cube and a small amount of money. this of course set of alarms since I can see Eli giving Oskar a lot but giving him pretty much everything would greatly hurt Eli's chances of survival since he would have to start worrying about money again. this made me think there where going to meet up after things with the police cooled down and Oskar was holding on to everything until then. your idea dose also explain this though .
Well, I agree that this may give rise to suspicions whether Eli and Oskar were planning to meet again.

However, Oskar's depression after Eli's departure trumps that, in my opinion. That, and Oskar's rejection of Eli's offer. Oskar didn't want to become a vampire, and I think he understood that he wouldn't be able to run away with Eli otherwise. You need to be a vampire in order to live like one.

Now, the reason that Eli didn't bring his stuff may have been that he simply couldn't. He had planned calling for a taxi, but that was before Lacke showed up in his bathroom. That would have made things substantially more urgent, and perhaps made him decide to forsake things in favour of agility. "He brought just a few one thousand kronor notes and the cube." Perhaps he planned to fly? That would have allowed him to put a very long distance between him and Blackeberg rather quickly, but would also have prevented him from carrying anything. His arms would have been occupied as wings.

I have re-read some of the end of the novel, to see if I can discover anything that might clarify this, but alas, no success. I have of course read those pages many times before, so that isn't too surprising. There is no reason mentioned for why Oskar took care of Eli's belongings. We have to come up with our own. Personally, I think that Oskar and Eli realised that somebody would eventually come to Eli's apartment and discover what was there. The less traces of Eli then, the better. And Eli did remove the Morse paper taped to the wall.

Regarding the money, I think that it might not be very essential to Eli's survival. After all, he brought just a few thousand kronor when leaving. Furthermore, all Eli's money appears to be relatively new. There were no mentioning of any old money. Swedish bank notes have changed a lot during times, and Oskar would have noticed any unusual money as he rummaged through them in the basement after Eli had left. So I conclude there were none, and that Eli had acquired his money recently. He also was remarkably careless with it. All in all, this makes me think that Eli more often than not had been moneyless, and that this didn't bother him much.
OskarTheArsonist wrote:
I have thought about this a lot. Did Eli persuade Oskar to run away with him? Did he do anything at all to encourage Oskar to come with him?

I tend to prefer thinking that he did not. I Like the idea that Oskar made up his mind entirely on his own.

That said, I have also thought a lot about what made them wait so many hours before leaving together. One possible reason is that Oskar didn't make up his mind until late in the morning. From his reaction to Eli's attack on Lacke, we might conclude that Oskar wasn't comfortable with that part of being a vampire. One idea I have contemplated is that Oskar perhaps was unsure about whether he would be capable of doing it. He might have spent the morning thinking about accepting Eli's offer, but what if he just could't do the killing? If that was the case, he might have asked Eli about it. And Eli would have explained - but what would he have told Oskar?
ltroifanatic wrote:
You're right there is tons of potential and I've often daydreamed about a sequel but I think we shouldn't tamper with perfection.Any sequel just wouldn't cut it (imo) and might even be harmful and taint the original.Having said that,there are lots of great FF stories that go into detail about Eli and Oskars adventures after the pool scene.

That said, I hope that JAL might write the occasional short story about something completely different, but let Oskar and Eli swiftly pass by - similar to LtODD. Just a hint of what happened to them.
if Eli and Oskar did in fact not plan to meet each other again I don't think its because the only way to live with Eli is to be a vampire. we have proof of this because Hakan lived with Eli and while he did die it was because he was trying to feed her, and Eli would not make Oskar do something like that since he actually cares for him. the lifestyle Oskar would have to chose (and did chose) would be a life on the run but I also don't think this would be the reason they went there separate ways. what I think is the most likely reason is that Eli knows all to well what immortality really means and he did not want to live with Oskar watching him grow old while he would forever be stuck at age 12.

OskarTheArsonist

Post by OskarTheArsonist » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:59 pm

metoo wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:56 pm
OskarTheArsonist wrote:

OskarTheArsonist wrote:

ltroifanatic wrote:

Whatever the reason why Oskar kept almost everything while Eli took so little is I believe it was planed. in the end there are small time skips in the chapter the one im talking about right now is when Oskar sat down and started humming after saving Eli up to the point where Eli is taking a shower and Oskar is throwing the box's on his balcony. As we know with Eli he is gross and I don't think he would have taken a shower until Oskar told him to and I also don't think Oskar would just take the box's with out talking to Eli first. So in between the time Eli got in the shower and Oskar started taking Eli's things they talked. Now all we have to do is think of the possibility of what they could have planed. The first is that Oskar was holding on to Eli's belongings so Eli could escape and hide out until things cooled down. The second is that Eli just did not care or need his things and so gave it to Oskar. We don't know how exactly Eli got his money only that it was given to him and fairly recently (thx meto for pointing out that the money was not old). we have no idea how Eli got his expensive puzzles, only that it could possibly be from whoever gave Eli the money but this is never confirmed. My only guess on who Eli could know that has the wealth and influence to give Eli this stuff (and keep giving Eli the updated currency) is the Wig Man, but since we know so little about him and his and Eli's relationship (only that Eli is scared shitless of him) we cant say that this is for sure. Eli being so care free about the money could either point that Eli knows he can get it from the Wig Man or that he simply dosent need it. I'm going back and forth on this because there is just not enough information to confirm either Eli did not care or Eli was waiting until things cool'd down. if we go with Eli simply did not care about the money it would explain why Eli was so care free about the money. If we go with Eli just waiting for things to just blow over it would explain how he was able to pull of his timely rescue at the pool. Eli watching Oskar secretly at night while waiting for the perfect moment to meet him and leave. as always I would love to hear your feedback on this and let me know if you see any loop hols in my reasoning.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”