[Spoiler] How many people dose it take to feed Oskar and Eli [Spoiler]

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
OskarTheArsonist

[Spoiler] How many people dose it take to feed Oskar and Eli [Spoiler]

Post by OskarTheArsonist » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:40 pm

Now that Eli and Oskar are vampires how many people do they need to kill at a time to get feed? I guess the real question is if Eli during LTRON drank all of the blood when she killed someone or not. But even if there is enough blood wouldn’t opening 2 wounds make it so there is less blood for them since it would create more area for the blood to be pumped out off? Im not sure this is something that can be figured out by the info that we have but I would like to here your ideas.
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"

SpartanAltego

Re: [Spoiler] How many people dose it take to feed Oskar and Eli [Spoiler]

Post by SpartanAltego » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:24 am

Well, Eli was able to restore his strength following the bleeding scene in the novel by taking about a liter of blood from Tommy. Presumably he would normally have required more, but was able to stop himself for Oskar's sake and didn't endure the bleeding (and subsequent weakening) for very long. So let's say a liter is about 2/3rds of Eli's usual dietary requirement when taking as much time as possible between meals. That's a little more than two pints, so let's say three pints would be sufficient for one Eli-sized vampire. Double that with Oskar and we've got six pints - around three liters altogether.

An adult of average size has about six to eight pints of blood, with more depending on how tall and large the person is. So with this guesstimating-based math, just one person would still be enough for the both of them to drink their fill provided they made sure to get every drop they needed. It also bodes ill for any tall or large fellows in Sweden/Spain, so try to hunch and look like as small a blood bag as possible. ;)
"The dark is patient, and it always wins. But its weakness lies in its strength: a single candle is enough to hold it at bay. Love is more than a candle. Love can ignite the stars." - Matthew Stover

metoo

Re: [Spoiler] How many people dose it take to feed Oskar and Eli [Spoiler]

Post by metoo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:30 am

OskarTheArsonist wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:40 pm
Now that Eli and Oskar are vampires how many people do they need to kill at a time to get feed? I guess the real question is if Eli during LTRON drank all of the blood when she killed someone or not. But even if there is enough blood wouldn’t opening 2 wounds make it so there is less blood for them since it would create more area for the blood to be pumped out off? Im not sure this is something that can be figured out by the info that we have but I would like to here your ideas.
No need to avoid spoilers in a forum where everybody has read the novel and watched the film plenty of times.

In my fan fiction I have assumed that O&E together would be able to share an adult victim about once a week to remain well fed. In other words, the two of them together would require the roughly same number of victims as Eli did alone. My rationale for this would be:
  • Eli doesn’t seem to drain his victims in the novel. Thus, there might be some left for another vampire.
  • Håkan wanted to get the blood he had collected as quickly as possible to Eli. Apparently fresh blood is better. Perhaps this means that if the blood is fresh, less is required. I thought so, anyway. Thus, it might reduce the number of victims if O&E fed directly off them.
  • I didn’t want to raise the number of victims. It is already a stretch for me that one victim a week with very specific wounds wouldn’t raise the alarm among the authorities, so I didn’t want to make it even less believable.
About opening two wounds: they wouldn’t necessarily do that. I have described them as taking turns. Besides, the blood pressure of the victim doesn’t depend on the number of wounds, I think. Furthermore, they might take measures to keep the pressure up, if not else so for avoiding the victim to die too soon. Blood from a dead victim might be harmful, we are told in the novel...
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”