Dose Eli know English?

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
OskarTheArsonist

Dose Eli know English?

Post by OskarTheArsonist » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:39 pm

In the book during the scene where Eli eats the woman with cancer she falls in front of the T.V and starts to hallucinate because of the morphine. “Eli burst out laughing when the man in the cowboy hat stat down behind a desk and started to speak in English. Eli understood what he was saying, but it was meaningless.” Dose this confirm that she also speaks English or was he just drugged out of his mind.
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"

metoo

Re: Dose Eli know English?

Post by metoo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:14 am

My opinion is that this means that Eli indeed knew English. In turn, this implies that Eli had visited Britain sometime in his past. I imagine him there during the early Victorian period...
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:19 am

metoo wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:14 am
My opinion is that this means that Eli indeed knew English. In turn, this implies that Eli had visited Britain sometime in his past. I imagine him there during the early Victorian period...
That was my impression too. Any guesses as to what movie or series she was watching?

And you have given us yet other idea for a new FF. :D
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

metoo

Post by metoo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:56 am

PeteMork wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:19 am
Any guesses as to what movie or series she was watching?
No need to guess, it was Dallas.
PeteMork wrote:
And you have given us yet other idea for a new FF.
I’ve had that one for years. Oliver Twist with a twist... :)
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:10 am

metoo and PeteMork both have it right. However, I hedge my bets in my fan fictions by saying that Eli isn't fluent in English, which could mean anything. Anyway, Eli is bright enough to pick up any number of languages if it would add to her survival skills.

Maybe she hasn't been to England but to Scotland, where English is the official language but spoken with a baffling accent (unless a Scot chooses to speak English English, which is what Europeans learn). Americans, East Indians, Nigerians, Australians, and so forth just do the best we can. :lol:
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

OskarTheArsonist

Post by OskarTheArsonist » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:15 am

dongregg wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:10 am
metoo and PeteMork both have it right. However, I hedge my bets in my fan fictions by saying that Eli isn't fluent in English, which could mean anything. Anyway, Eli is bright enough to pick up any number of languages if it would add to her survival skills.

Maybe she hasn't been to England but to Scotland, where English is the official language but spoken with a baffling accent (unless a Scot chooses to speak English English, which is what Europeans learn). Americans, East Indians, Nigerians, Australians, and so forth just do the best we can. :lol:
Is scoutland where Eli was originally from?

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:24 am

OskarTheArsonist wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:15 am
dongregg wrote:

Eli is originally from the Norrköping area, which is south of Stockholm.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

OskarTheArsonist

Post by OskarTheArsonist » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:37 am

dongregg wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:24 am
OskarTheArsonist wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:15 am
dongregg wrote:

Eli is originally from the Norrköping area, which is south of Stockholm.
I just checked and Blackeberg is actually a suburb of Stockholm.😲 You said that English is also comonn in Stockholm wich whould make sense since Kiss and Ironmaiden bolth English speaking bands where poupular there.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:00 am

I just checked and Blackeberg is actually a suburb of Stockholm.😲 You said that English is also common in Stockholm which whould make sense since Kiss and Ironmaiden both English speaking bands were poupular there.
Good that you're learning your way around Sweden. Now, depending on how long Eli has had helpers and has lived with them in towns, that's what the value of hearing and seeing English a lot would add. Some members think Eli's pretty savvy about towns and has had lots of helpers. Metoo makes a case for that, and PeteMork can evidently imagine many pre-Blackeberg adventures. My starting point is that she isn't savvy about living in town because she doesn't know how dress to fit in and can't make small talk for toffee (doesn't know her birthday). If Eli only lives in town like we see in the film, the apartment might as well be a cave in the woods because Eli doesn't go out much.

Anyway, like I said elsewhere, we can put Eli anywhere and make it work, and she can know English well or just enough to get by. I'm kind of in the middle about that. :)

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:28 am

metoo wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:56 am
PeteMork wrote:
Any guesses as to what movie or series she was watching?
No need to guess, it was Dallas.
Of course! I should have been able to figure it out. My only defense is, I never watched the series. Couldn't stand it, for some reason... :think:

But then, it says so, doesn't it? :oops:
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”