A new sequal

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
OskarTheArsonist

A new sequal

Post by OskarTheArsonist » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:07 pm

I know its super unlikely but dont you think there is alot of potential for another sequal? For example now that we know that Oskar is now indeed a vampire would it not be cool to see how he reacts to it and how he adjust to the new way of life. He could also throw in more of the lore about the disease its self.
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"

metoo

Re: A new sequal

Post by metoo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:51 am

This has been discussed before, and I have posted my opinion before, but I repeat: I don’t want any sequels. None whatsoever, to any work of fiction. Sequels are a device of marketing. Writers and film makers should focus on creating good and original stories, not on maximising profit.

Now, pre-planned series of stories is a different thing. The Harry Potter series, for instance, was at the start set to be nine books, covering nine years. JAL has recently published a trilogy. That’s fine. What I dislike is a new story grafted on to an already finished work. This invariably reflects back on the original in a detrimental way, in my opinion.

Fortunately, it seems JAL has a similar view as I have, and so we’ll never see a sequel to LtROI!
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

OskarTheArsonist

Post by OskarTheArsonist » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:10 am

metoo wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:51 am
This has been discussed before, and I have posted my opinion before, but I repeat: I don’t want any sequels. None whatsoever, to any work of fiction. Sequels are a device of marketing. Writers and film makers should focus on creating good and original stories, not on maximising profit.

Now, pre-planned series of stories is a different thing. The Harry Potter series, for instance, was at the start set to be nine books, covering nine years. JAL has recently published a trilogy. That’s fine. What I dislike is a new story grafted on to an already finished work. This invariably reflects back on the original in a detrimental way, in my opinion.

Fortunately, it seems JAL has a similar view as I have, and so we’ll never see a sequel to LtROI!
Whats to say that LTROI is a finished work? What I got from the endings of LTROI and even more so LTODD was the beginning of a different story. :D

metoo

Post by metoo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:59 am

OskarTheArsonist wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:10 am
Whats to say that LTROI is a finished work? What I got from the endings of LTROI and even more so LTODD was the beginning of a different story. :D
It seems that you answered your question yourself: a sequel being a different story would mean that LtROI is a finished work. ;)
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

OskarTheArsonist

Post by OskarTheArsonist » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:27 pm

metoo wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:59 am
OskarTheArsonist wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:10 am
It seems that you answered your question yourself: a sequel being a different story would mean that LtROI is a finished work. ;)
thx for pointing out my mistake. ;) What I meant is chapter.

ps I have been trying to think of reasons of why Eli came back to save Oskar and I cant think of one so far better than yours. I still think the odds of Eli happening to show up at the right time are slim but I still find my self really liking the idea of Eli about to give up on life seeing Oskar in danger saving him witch then gives Oskar the chance to say how he has been feeling since he left.

artredfield1999

Post by artredfield1999 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:55 am

OskarTheArsonist wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:07 pm
I know its super unlikely but dont you think there is alot of potential for another sequal? For example now that we know that Oskar is now indeed a vampire would it not be cool to see how he reacts to it and how he adjust to the new way of life. He could also throw in more of the lore about the disease its self.
Like you, I also wanted a sequel to JAL history but personally, I was hoping for a history where Eli & Oskar finally found his demise.
Last edited by artredfield1999 on Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OskarTheArsonist

Post by OskarTheArsonist » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:42 pm

artredfield1999 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:55 am
OskarTheArsonist wrote:
Like you, I also wanted a sequel to JAL history but personally I was hoping for a history where Eli & Oskar finally found his demise.
So you want a sequel where Eli and Oskar bolth die? While I usally am for authers killing off characters.... Eli and Oskar are different.

artredfield1999

Post by artredfield1999 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:21 pm

OskarTheArsonist wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:42 pm
artredfield1999 wrote:
OskarTheArsonist wrote:
Like you, I also wanted a sequel to JAL history but personally I was hoping for a history where Eli & Oskar finally found his demise.
So you want a sequel where Eli and Oskar bolth die? While I usally am for authers killing off characters.... Eli and Oskar are different.
Well, I was imagining that maybe someday, somebody would track Eli & Oskar's whereabouts (current location) and finish with the lives of both.
A character like Rorschach from "Watchmen" would be perfect to do so, a person that only sees the world in Black and White, Good and Evil.
Last edited by artredfield1999 on Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

OskarTheArsonist

Post by OskarTheArsonist » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:43 pm

artredfield1999 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:21 pm
OskarTheArsonist wrote:
artredfield1999 wrote:

Well, I was imagining that maybe someday, somebody would track Eli & Oskar whereabouts (current location) and finish with the lives of both.
A character like Rorschach from "Watchmen" would be the perfect to do so, a person that only sees the world in Black and White, Good and Evil.
While if you read JAL's story in Seize The Night JAL hints that what you suggest could happen in a sequel. I don't think JAL would kill off Oskar and Eli though because part of what makes them special is that they embodied the dream of love forever.

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:37 am

OskarTheArsonist wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:43 pm
artredfield1999 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:21 pm
OskarTheArsonist wrote:

Well, I was imagining that maybe someday, somebody would track Eli & Oskar whereabouts (current location) and finish with the lives of both.
A character like Rorschach from "Watchmen" would be the perfect to do so, a person that only sees the world in Black and White, Good and Evil.
While if you read JAL's story in Seize The Night JAL hints that what you suggest could happen in a sequel. I don't think JAL would kill off Oskar and Eli though because part of what makes them special is that they embodied the dream of love forever.
Yes.Please don't kill off Eli and Oskar.It's taken them so long to find each other.They deserve to find love with each other forever. :wub:
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”