Was any one else disappointed with the sequal?

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
OskarTheArsonist

Was any one else disappointed with the sequal?

Post by OskarTheArsonist » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:39 pm

Was any one else disappointed with the sequal “Let The Old Dreams Die” I would really like to hear your guys thoughts on it.
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"

SpartanAltego

Re: Was any one else disappointed with the sequal?

Post by SpartanAltego » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:16 pm

Not especially. If I wanted more of the same I'd just read the book, watch either of the films, or read some fanfiction. LtODD was a good way of closing the book on Oskar and Eli while leaving us to imagine their fates, not too dissimilar to the conclusive yet open ending of the original novel.

It's natural to want to crave more of a good thing, but I think LtODD really says everything we need to know about what came next for the kids. They're together, presumably happy, and will continue to be so for...infinity. The only cost is the same one that was always there: their love must be paid for in blood.
"The dark is patient, and it always wins. But its weakness lies in its strength: a single candle is enough to hold it at bay. Love is more than a candle. Love can ignite the stars." - Matthew Stover

OskarTheArsonist

Post by OskarTheArsonist » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:32 pm

After a day of reading it I came to about the same conclusion. However it still bothers me that the book is called a sequal instead of the finished ending. Since most of the book was centered around characters that are only briefly in the book. I mean we only get about what equates to one scene of Eli and Oskar. I mean I get the sentiment of wanting to use different characters but com on... sorry that this kind of turned into a rant.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:04 am

I loved LTODD for four reasons. One, it was the best written of what I've read from JAL, although I might just be saying it's the best translated. Two, it settled the vexatious question about why Eli wanted Oskar to be a part of her life. Three, it got them to Barcelona. And they're on the way there when book 2 part 10 ends in my "sequel." Quotation marks because plenty of fan fiction writers on our forum have written stories post-Blackeberg (or post-Karlstad if written after LTODD came out). Four, it introduced three wonderful characters.

If my story is to continue, book 3 will be in Barcelona, to which they are headed as Set Me As a Seal upon Your Heart ends. :wub:
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

OskarTheArsonist

Post by OskarTheArsonist » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:38 am

dongregg wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:04 am
I loved LTODD for four reasons. One, it was the best written of what I've read from JAL, although I might just be saying it's the best translated. Two, it settled the vexatious question about why Eli wanted Oskar to be a part of her life. Three, it got them to Barcelona. And they're on the way there when book 2 part 10 ends in my "sequel." Quotation marks because plenty of fan fiction writers on our forum have written stories post-Blackeberg (or post-Karlstad if written after LTODD came out). Four, it introduced three wonderful characters.

If my story is to continue, book 3 will be in Barcelona, to which they are headed as Set Me As a Seal upon Your Heart ends. :wub:
I don’t really know anything about Barcilon so please tell me why it’s important that there there? Also I could not even bring my self to enjoy the characters at all since I went into the book expecting it to follow Oscar and Eli. Also is Set a Seal Upon Your Heart a title to one of your fan fiction books?

OskarTheArsonist

Post by OskarTheArsonist » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:51 am

SpartanAltego wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:16 pm
Not especially. If I wanted more of the same I'd just read the book, watch either of the films, or read some fanfiction. LtODD was a good way of closing the book on Oskar and Eli while leaving us to imagine their fates, not too dissimilar to the conclusive yet open ending of the original novel.

It's natural to want to crave more of a good thing, but I think LtODD really says everything we need to know about what came next for the kids. They're together, presumably happy, and will continue to be so for...infinity. The only cost is the same one that was always there: their love must be paid for in blood.
Also is the movie Let Me In any good? From the trailer it looks promising where it seems they do change any fundamental things but im not sure since I dont want to risk getting angry about how someone messed up my new favorite book/movie.

SpartanAltego

Post by SpartanAltego » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:29 am

OskarTheArsonist wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:51 am
SpartanAltego wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:16 pm

Also is the movie Let Me In any good? From the trailer it looks promising where it seems they do change any fundamental things but im not sure since I dont want to risk getting angry about how someone messed up my new favorite book/movie.
I actually recently wrote a pretty long post discussing the pros and cons of both the original adaptation and Let Me In. To surmise: it has great strengths and great weaknesses. There's only a few truly big changes, and what is re-tread from the original story and film is okay if not necessarily great. If you go in with an open mind, you'll come out having enjoyed the good and not being terribly offended by the weaker parts.

Except the music. In my opinion, it's painfully uninspired and thus really hinders the film in several parts. Nothing to match the score of the TA rendition, that's for sure.
"The dark is patient, and it always wins. But its weakness lies in its strength: a single candle is enough to hold it at bay. Love is more than a candle. Love can ignite the stars." - Matthew Stover

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:08 am

OskarTheArsonist wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:38 am
dongregg wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:04 am

I don’t really know anything about Barcilon so please tell me why it’s important that there there? Also I could not even bring my self to enjoy the characters at all since I went into the book expecting it to follow Oscar and Eli. Also is Set a Seal Upon Your Heart a title to one of your fan fiction books?
Yes, a 10-part story that begins about a year and three months after the children leave Blackeberg on the run. They soon settle in Malmö, and that's where most of the story takes place. The title, Set Me As a Seal upon Your Heart, is a line from a love poem, and my tale is all about love and romance. Pretty mushy.

At the end of that story, they are leaving Sweden for Spain because "Let the Old Dreams Die" says that's where they are now. Forum members have posted several fan fics set in Barcelona.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

metoo

Post by metoo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:28 am

OskarTheArsonist wrote:
Oskar and Eli appears in Barcelona in 2008 because the movie won a price at a film festival there that year.

Now, you are disappointed with LtODD because you were misled to believe the book to be a traditional sequel to LtROI. Perhaps because it was marketed that way. If so, that’s a shame. As you know by now, the book is a collection of short stories, most of which are completely unrelated to the novel.

The short story Let the Old Dreams Die was written and published as a comment and refutal on the widespread idea that Håkan was the former Oskar, which people who had only watched the movie but not read the novel were proposing. It was actually published in a different collection in Sweden, one that has so far not been published abroad.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

OskarTheArsonist

Post by OskarTheArsonist » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:14 pm

metoo wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:28 am
OskarTheArsonist wrote:
Oskar and Eli appears in Barcelona in 2008 because the movie won a price at a film festival there that year.

Now, you are disappointed with LtODD because you were misled to believe the book to be a traditional sequel to LtROI. Perhaps because it was marketed that way. If so, that’s a shame. As you know by now, the book is a collection of short stories, most of which are completely unrelated to the novel.

The short story Let the Old Dreams Die was written and published as a comment and refutal on the widespread idea that Håkan was the former Oskar, which people who had only watched the movie but not read the novel were proposing. It was actually published in a different collection in Sweden, one that has so far not been published abroad.
Its funny that you said that since before reading the book I was really confused on Hakans relationship to Eli.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”