Låt den rätte komma in 2

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
metoo

Re: Låt den rätte komma in 2

Post by metoo » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:01 pm

artredfield1999 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:32 pm
Somebody that knows Swedish could tell me what is this?
https://youtu.be/QSjGlno8qJw
I noticed that is Lindqvist's voice but I don't know what he is saying.
He is reading LtROI in Swedish, the part where Håkan has arrived at the bath house dressing cabin.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

artredfield1999

Post by artredfield1999 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:07 pm

metoo wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:01 pm
artredfield1999 wrote:
He is reading LtROI in Swedish, the part where Håkan has arrived at the bath house dressing cabin.
Thank you very much for answering my question. I appreciated.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:50 pm

artredfield1999 wrote:
More than 5 minutes of JAL talking about LTROI? I would love to see it translated into English.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

SpartanAltego

Post by SpartanAltego » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:57 am

If a horror crossover is what you have in mind, Voorhees could actually be incorporated pretty easily into the LtROI mythos as established. He's undead - and Eli's narration implies that while he is not familiar with how the undead works exactly, he knows enough to recognize one. Voorhees could very well be a Hakan-type of undead, infected and devoid of nothing but the maliciousness in his spirit and the drive to destroy and consume. You'd have to have a good motive for the two to not simply escape from Voorhees rather than stay and confront him, since Eli has shown a preference for flight over fight when facing unknown entities.

I wouldn't say that a slasher icon is the right opposites number for our duo, although I advise you to write first and think later. The early days of storytelling need not be your highest art. But if you get in the habit of crossover fiction, I'd love to see Eli and Oskar confront, say, a poltergeist or face a crisis requiring an exorcism. Could even tie it into Eli's infection and make the story about "exorcising" Eli's soul of the blight inhabiting it.

Let the Right One In 2 may not be the appropriate title for your work, in any case. It implies repetition, and you look to be setting your sights on something a little more different. Perhaps the title of a different song, or a poem you enjoy and find relevant to the story's contents, would serve you better.
"The dark is patient, and it always wins. But its weakness lies in its strength: a single candle is enough to hold it at bay. Love is more than a candle. Love can ignite the stars." - Matthew Stover

artredfield1999

Post by artredfield1999 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:18 am

SpartanAltego wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:57 am
If a horror crossover is what you have in mind, Voorhees could actually be incorporated pretty easily into the LtROI mythos as established. He's undead - and Eli's narration implies that while he is not familiar with how the undead works exactly, he knows enough to recognize one. Voorhees could very well be a Hakan-type of undead, infected and devoid of nothing but the maliciousness in his spirit and the drive to destroy and consume. You'd have to have a good motive for the two to not simply escape from Voorhees rather than stay and confront him, since Eli has shown a preference for flight over fight when facing unknown entities.

I wouldn't say that a slasher icon is the right opposites number for our duo, although I advise you to write first and think later. The early days of storytelling need not be your highest art. But if you get in the habit of crossover fiction, I'd love to see Eli and Oskar confront, say, a poltergeist or face a crisis requiring an exorcism. Could even tie it into Eli's infection and make the story about "exorcising" Eli's soul of the blight inhabiting it.

Let the Right One In 2 may not be the appropriate title for your work, in any case. It implies repetition, and you look to be setting your sights on something a little more different. Perhaps the title of a different song, or a poem you enjoy and find relevant to the story's contents, would serve you better.
I was thinking of maybe call this history "FRIDAY THE 13TH PART XIII", I appreciate your words, and in my opinion, it's no coincidence that LTROI ends in a "FRIDAY THE 13TH" and another thing I was thinking is that Jason it's not so different from Eli & Oskar, for example, Jason was a bullied child almost all his life, Does it ring any bells? and also Jason lost his mother when she was murdered, It reminds me a little bit of Eli's backstory, just like Eli, Jason becomes something that maybe he didn't want to become. Just like Eli, and maybe both Eli & Oskar could feel some sympathy for Jason Voorhees.
Last edited by artredfield1999 on Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:34 am

<voice="moderator">I'm not aware of any rule or convention prohibiting you from interacting characters from other works of fiction with characters taken or derived from the LTROI universe, with the sole proviso that the fanfic writer bear in mind the possibility of some kind of copyright infringement entanglement should the creators and/or owners of the non-LTROI universe characters choose to get sticky about it.</voice>

We do have one practising lawyer on the board who may be able to offer better insight into the probability of such a thing happening, and that insight might prove useful because I am myself really, really fuzzy on the concept of "fair use" and suchlike when it comes to extracting snippets or deriving new work from somebody else's work. That said, I can't say I've ever heard of any kind of legal action challenging purely recreational fan fiction.

On a purely personal level, I can't say that I can see much common ground between the Eliverse (Eli's universe, which includes Abby and her crowd) and the Vorhees/Kruger universe. The former is a chillingly keen window into the human soul, and the latter is a vapidly moralistic tautology. I'm completely serious: it's my honest and occasionally well-considered impression that if you've seen one slasher, you've seen them all, whereas I doubt I'll live long enough to see another Eli come around.

Never know, though, you might surprise me. I'll be mutter flipping DELIGHTED if you do.

But:

If you write the fiction you propose writing, write it for yourself. So long as forum rules are borne in mind, you're not writing for me, or dongregg, or petemork, or anybody else. You're writing for yourself, and choosing to share it. Truthfully, if we don't like it (and there is a small chance we might not), well, we can just cram it. Maybe we're just not enlightened or educated or perceptive or sensitive enough to appreciate properly whatever gem you might come up with.

And if you don't believe that statement, believe this: I've been throwing up all kinds of goofy image manipulations in the Fan Art section. Sometimes people say they enjoy this one or that one, once or twice people have said "UGH!", and most of the time they say absolutely nothing. That's fine; most of them ARE junk, they're just the results of things I'm experimenting with, and my personal attitude is "if you don't like what I'm doing, DON'T LOOK!" :lol:
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:56 am

Go for it Art.You have interesting ideas.Let your imagination,honesty and passion shine through.Have fun with it.It'll work out fine.(if it doesn't you can expect a late night visit from Eli :lol: )
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

SpartanAltego

Post by SpartanAltego » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:31 pm

Yes. The important thing is that you, personally, are satisfied with your work. And honestly, I don't think anyone can claim it'd be somehow seen on the forum before so you'd have the benefit of novelty in your favor.

I personally found your original proposal of a detective story with a victim of Oskar and Eli chasing after them to actually be quite compelling as a concept. I have a question for you, too: does it have to be Jason Voorhees in name and background, or would an expy of undead malice and murder serve your purposes just as well? The reason I ask is because you could very well blend your story arcs of the implacable detective and the implacable monster together into one.

Imagine this. Your protagonist (let's call him David) spends the first third of the storyline tracking down clues and evidence to convince himself that vampires are real and that Oskar and Eli must be operating somewhere nearby. It's a time for reflection, character building, and the occasional perspective shift to our sun-fearing duo as we get glimpses into their lives.

The second act comes with increasingly closer and closer brushes as their lives begin to intersect. Oskar and Eli become aware that someone is chasing them, and perhaps they even try to frame David for one of their murders to get him off their tail. After all, a guy who believes in vampires and likely has newspaper clippings and a generally rattled demeanor is spotted at a crime scene? That'll raise questions - worse if the police learn about the manner of David's brother's demise. David nearly kills the duo once or twice, and the situation begins to escalate.

The second act concludes with David being jumped by our vampiric duo, fed on, and killed. However much like Hakan, circumstances conspire in such a way that his neck is not broken while his body dies. David rises as a vampiric revenant, now no better than the beasts he hunted, and devoid of any humanity or desires except to feed, destroy, and to find and kill Oskar and Eli. If he has a companion or friend that has been tagging along with him up to this point, they could be the ones who drive off Oskar and Eli, preventing the neck-snapping, and thus become the first victim of the risen David once the infection becomes active.

The third act then is where you could have your confrontation of monster versus monsters. Undead machine borne of tragedy versus bloodsucking survivors. Sympathy for both sides, but there can only be one winner.

I've actually just thought of a title. "White Whales"
"The dark is patient, and it always wins. But its weakness lies in its strength: a single candle is enough to hold it at bay. Love is more than a candle. Love can ignite the stars." - Matthew Stover

artredfield1999

Post by artredfield1999 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:35 pm

SpartanAltego wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:31 pm
Yes. The important thing is that you, personally, are satisfied with your work. And honestly, I don't think anyone can claim it'd be somehow seen on the forum before so you'd have the benefit of novelty in your favor.

I personally found your original proposal of a detective story with a victim of Oskar and Eli chasing after them to actually be quite compelling as a concept. I have a question for you, too: does it have to be Jason Voorhees in name and background, or would an expy of undead malice and murder serve your purposes just as well? The reason I ask is because you could very well blend your story arcs of the implacable detective and the implacable monster together into one.

Imagine this. Your protagonist (let's call him David) spends the first third of the storyline tracking down clues and evidence to convince himself that vampires are real and that Oskar and Eli must be operating somewhere nearby. It's a time for reflection, character building, and the occasional perspective shift to our sun-fearing duo as we get glimpses into their lives.

The second act comes with increasingly closer and closer brushes as their lives begin to intersect. Oskar and Eli become aware that someone is chasing them, and perhaps they even try to frame David for one of their murders to get him off their tail. After all, a guy who believes in vampires and likely has newspaper clippings and a generally rattled demeanor is spotted at a crime scene? That'll raise questions - worse if the police learn about the manner of David's brother's demise. David nearly kills the duo once or twice, and the situation begins to escalate.

The second act concludes with David being jumped by our vampiric duo, fed on, and killed. However much like Hakan, circumstances conspire in such a way that his neck is not broken while his body dies. David rises as a vampiric revenant, now no better than the beasts he hunted, and devoid of any humanity or desires except to feed, destroy, and to find and kill Oskar and Eli. If he has a companion or friend that has been tagging along with him up to this point, they could be the ones who drive off Oskar and Eli, preventing the neck-snapping, and thus become the first victim of the risen David once the infection becomes active.

The third act then is where you could have your confrontation of monster versus monsters. Undead machine borne of tragedy versus bloodsucking survivors. Sympathy for both sides, but there can only be one winner.

I've actually just thought of a title. "White Whales"
Answering your question, the reason why I need Jason to be the antagonist it's because Jason can use melee weapons in the killings that he commits, and in the case of using an infected character by Eli or Oskar that possibility it would be almost non-existent.
Last edited by artredfield1999 on Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpartanAltego

Post by SpartanAltego » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:40 pm

artredfield1999 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:35 pm
Answering your question, the reason why I need Jason to be the antagonist it's because Jason can use melee weapons in the killings that he commits and in the case of using an infected character by Eli or Oskar that possibility it would be almost non-existent.
Well, that's more up to you I'd say, as I don't think anybody would raise too much of a fuss if you had an infected use a weapon. That said, it's your tale to tell.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”