Låt den rätte komma in 2

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
artredfield1999

Låt den rätte komma in 2

Post by artredfield1999 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:09 pm

Greetings, LTROI community I am new to this forum and I just wanted to post this here and make you guys a question.
Do you guys think that something like a sequel to Let The Right One In could be possible?
I know that Let The Old Dreams Die exists, but I mean a whole new book wrote by Lindqvist himself, that continues the story of Eli and Oskar and deliver an amazing finale to this story.
Do you think that would be possible? Or I'm just dreaming.

(20/Dec/2017: Edited by gkmoberg1 to replace use of shortened URL (https: // t.co/hdzSMOCKR9) in original posting. We don't use shortened URLs as per rule#8 about posting on these forums.)
Last edited by artredfield1999 on Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SpartanAltego

Re: Låt den rätte komma in 2

Post by SpartanAltego » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:35 pm

Hi there, welcome to the forum! Now I'm not the newest person on the block anymore. :D

I think that LtROI's sequel has more or less already been written. The fans have all created numerous permutations and epilogues of their own to substitute or supplement Let the Old Dreams Die, more than enough to satisfy just about any desire one could have for a sequel, and JAL probably is more interested in creating fresh material than writing a sequel. If a sequel were to appear in full novel format, I can't imagine that it would be what you'd expect or necessarily want - which may be just more of the same. But such an effort to recapture the lightning in a bottle of the first story would probably be doomed to fail.

Let the Old Dreams Die was wise to not make Eli and Oskar actually present in the story, existing more as ghosts being chased and a myth pieced together. Their story is for them now, and can only be observed from the outside - and only safely observed at a distance. They're happy, presumably, and anything else is just details. After all, a story needs conflict: a sequel means that whatever happiness was gained at the end of LtROI is eventually taken away. Might not be worth the price.

All this to say...it's probably never going to happen. But if it did, I don't think it would be like anything you'd expect and would have to take a lot of risks. I'd still read it in a heartbeat regardless.
"The dark is patient, and it always wins. But its weakness lies in its strength: a single candle is enough to hold it at bay. Love is more than a candle. Love can ignite the stars." - Matthew Stover

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:37 pm

It was a dark and stormy night. Suddenly, a door slammed...
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

artredfield1999

Post by artredfield1999 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:51 am

Wow, Thank you very much for your response, I didn't think about it the same way you did it, I think I let myself imagine too much what would happen if a sequel would exist, Maybe I just need to accept that fact and take the wheels and make my version of what would I wanted to happen in a continuation of the story.
My apologies if my English isn't very good, but I am Mexican and I began to learn this language a few years ago.
Last edited by artredfield1999 on Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpartanAltego

Post by SpartanAltego » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:15 am

artredfield1999 wrote:Wow, Thank you very much for your response, I didn't thought about it the same way you did it, I think I let myself imagine too much what would happen if a sequel would exist, Maybe I just need to accept that fact and take the wheels and make my own version of what would I wanted to happen in a continuation of the story.

My apologies if my English isn't very good, but I am mexican and I just begun to learn this language a few years ago.
You're perfectly fine. Your English is better than my Spanish (or any other non-English language for that matter), give yourself some credit. ;)

Indeed, the best thing for you to do would be to write up your own personalized sequel - and share it with the rest of us, of course. That way, even if an official continuation past LtODD never comes to be, you'll still have your own version to reflect on.
"The dark is patient, and it always wins. But its weakness lies in its strength: a single candle is enough to hold it at bay. Love is more than a candle. Love can ignite the stars." - Matthew Stover

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:17 am

SpartanAltego wrote:
artredfield1999 wrote:Wow, Thank you very much for your response, I didn't thought about it the same way you did it, I think I let myself imagine too much what would happen if a sequel would exist, Maybe I just need to accept that fact and take the wheels and make my own version of what would I wanted to happen in a continuation of the story.

My apologies if my English isn't very good, but I am mexican and I just begun to learn this language a few years ago.
You're perfectly fine. Your English is better than my Spanish (or any other non-English language for that matter), give yourself some credit. ;)

Indeed, the best thing for you to do would be to write up your own personalized sequel - and share it with the rest of us, of course. That way, even if an official continuation past LtODD never comes to be, you'll still have your own version to reflect on.
artredfield1999, on n'est pas tous anglophones. I'll forgive your English if you'll forgive my Spanish. :lol:
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:11 am

Welcome, artredfield1999. This forum is so much fun.

And SpartanAltego has it about right. There are many wonderful sequels in the fan fiction section. Any stories or sequels you want to jump in with would be a appreciated, as well as any comments or ideas about LTROI you want to share with us.

lambano is from Mexico, although living in Europe now. He joined this forum in 2009 when it was just getting started. He still visits and leaves comments from time to time. He's a great writer, and his fan fictions (one set in Mexico) are so good. The first letter of his user name is L (lower-case). We have had other members from Mexico, too.

As you'll discover for yourself, we have members from every continent and many, many countries.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:22 am

Welcome! And, yes, please share how you think a sequel would play out as a continuation :D

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:33 am

Welcome!

I agree with what others have said—it is very unlikely that JAL will do a sequel. However, the cool thing is that he doesn’t object to fan fiction, so a path is open for you and others to express your imagination about the lives of Oskar and Eli.

artredfield1999

Post by artredfield1999 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:50 am

a_contemplative_life wrote:Welcome!

I agree with what others have said—it is very unlikely that JAL will do a sequel. However, the cool thing is that he doesn’t object to fan fiction, so a path is open for you and others to express your imagination about the lives of Oskar and Eli.
I have some ideas for a "sequel" to "Let The Right One In" and I would like to know what you guys think about them.
"Låt den rätte komma in II" a story by a fan.
Set the story in the year 2018.
Introduce a new character to deal with the mystery of Eli & Oskar.
This character will be at least 35 years old.
This new character will have some backstory involving insomnia problems that will be induced by constant nightmares involving the death of his 13-year-old brother by the hands of a black and faceless figure with the physique Of a 12-year-old child.
Introduce new Characters that will complement the story from different perspectives like in the original novel but make him in accord with the modern times.
Last edited by artredfield1999 on Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”