Vampire Glamour

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
PeteMork

Re: Vampire Glamour

Post by PeteMork » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:44 am

Okay, okay. It's two to one against me. I know when I've been beaten. :D
(but I still don't like the idea.)
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:46 am

dongregg wrote:
PeteMork wrote:
sauvin wrote:And yet... 'du moasta bjuda in mig'. Without that rule, somebody would have had to contrive another way to scare Oskar into realising the full gravity of her situation.
True enough. But I have confidence that JAL could have come up with another way -- if he had been so inclined. ;)
Gyah, Pete. Without the need to invite her in, the delightful name of the book wouldn't make as much sense. And the name, LTROI, is about all that stuck with me during the four years after I read the review and before I saw the film on Show Time. My subconscious wouldn't let go of the idea that there were two contending forces -- a right one and a wrong one.

As it turns out, it's about Oskar and Eli both having to make the decision of letting each other in.
Yeah. Can you imagine any relationship that requires such trust?
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

metoo

Post by metoo » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:47 am

I noticed this thread a couple of days ago, and then I lost it. Thus a little bit late:
Eli might have one ability akin to "vampire glamour", and that is the power to induce in people an urge to give him stuff. The hospital receptionist felt this, and possibly Oskar at the jungle gym.

However, it is not explicitly stated in the novel that Eli can do this - just a hint.

Then there is the power to project his memories and views. I have contemplated this to some extent, for the sake of my fan fiction. The narrative purpose of it in the novel is to tell Oskar (and us) a little about Eli's background, and to allow Eli to express his feelings towards Oskar in a very convincing way. But what might be the use of such an ability in other circumstances? Does Eli always have to kiss someone to do it? Wouldn't the ability be rather useless if that was the case? I have toyed with the idea that the kiss might not be strictly necessary, but a rather good way to hold the receiver's attention (which might be necessary). Maybe there are other ways open for Eli.

There is also the question of how Eli learnt that he had this ability...
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

Kaizarc

Post by Kaizarc » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:35 am

metoo wrote:I noticed this thread a couple of days ago, and then I lost it. Thus a little bit late:
Not as late as me! :mrgreen:
metoo wrote: There is also the question of how Eli learnt that he had this ability...
I have read in some vampire tales that the bite itself can have a calming effect on the victim. To avoid the mess, I suppose. Maybe Eli hasn't learnt all there is to being a vampire. She may have an idea of what she is capable of but is not able to use it to it's full potential. We know that the Man in the wig did manipulate the dice. So there is the possibility that there's more to JAL's vampirism than what Eli has control of.
sauvin wrote: Eli is actually pretty minimally equipped. No turning into bats or wolves or mists. Also, no huge crumbling castles, no harem of kept men or women, no faded dreams of past glory or lost romances

You reminded me of the first time I watched LTROI, it was in April and the ending to a marathon of vampire movies. Which included my first time watching Interview with a Vampire. I don't know if this had any effect on my experience. But there really was a stark contrast in going from vampires have these wild adventures, feasts at parties and miniature wars between each other to the quiet, sombre story in LTROI where there is no true end goal. No villains or saving the world from who knows what; the types of movies that I'm so used to. I think you showed me a little bit of what I really like about this film. This isn't a story about greatness or the evils of the world.
Among many things, it's one about how the simplest of things to us, really can make the world of difference to someone.

I have a small attention span and usually can't stand any "slow" movies. So this one was something by all accounts I should have hated. But quite the opposite and I still don't know why. :|

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:42 am

Kaizarc wrote: I have a small attention span and usually can't stand any "slow" movies. So this one was something by all accounts I should have hated. But quite the opposite and I still don't know why. :|
Would you say, in fact, that "[...] the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light?"

(quoting WTI user "Lacenaire")
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

Kaizarc

Post by Kaizarc » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:15 am

sauvin wrote:
Kaizarc wrote: I have a small attention span and usually can't stand any "slow" movies. So this one was something by all accounts I should have hated. But quite the opposite and I still don't know why. :|
Would you say, in fact, that "[...] the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light?"

(quoting WTI user "Lacenaire")
Wow, that's a wonderful quote. I would agree to that. It's a lovely way of wrapping up the story. But on my first watch it wasn't at all about the love story.
My mind was just on Oskar and his problems. Him finding a friend to help build confidence and confront the bullies and he does fight back. To no success really. At the pool, there were more, they were stronger and he was alone. That's when I got an emotional hit in the gut. Then when he left with Eli. I felt a second hit. He wasn't escaping Blackeburg and leaving his troubles behind, he was further trapping himself into an inevitably miserable life.
These are just two kids trying their best against a world that always seems to hit back harder. It's probably why I keep rewatching certain scenes. Just to see them happy for a change. Together.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”