Bath of Blood

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
dongregg

Re: Bath of Blood

Post by dongregg » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:42 pm

Interesting take, jk. Could be plausible. A lot of blood, though.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

jkwilliams

Post by jkwilliams » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:35 am

dongregg wrote:Interesting take, jk. Could be plausible. A lot of blood, though.
That's true.

Eli could have filled the tub with just enough water to cover himself and then poured in what he had. Several jugs of blood in a half filled tub might just make the water thick enough to look like solid blood to someone. I know that's not what John meant here but it's the only way I can make sense of it.

If you think about it, bathing or sleeping in blood seems more like something the vampire lord would do. If it's not required for Eli to do this then I wonder if that might be where he picked up this strange habit? :think:

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:47 pm

jkwilliams wrote:
dongregg wrote:Interesting take, jk. Could be plausible. A lot of blood, though.
That's true.

Eli could have filled the tub with just enough water to cover himself and then poured in what he had. Several jugs of blood in a half filled tub might just make the water thick enough to look like solid blood to someone. I know that's not what John meant here but it's the only way I can make sense of it.

If you think about it, bathing or sleeping in blood seems more like something the vampire lord would do. If it's not required for Eli to do this then I wonder if that might be where he picked up this strange habit? :think:
Some have written here that the bath of blood was just something JAL tacked on as an homage to Carmilla.

It's fun to rationalize some of the more puzzling parts of the novel. Pretty much any part of the story can be seen as making sense if we work at it. I'm inclined to let JAL be playful at times and therefore not totally consistent. But that's just me. :)
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”