Seasons greetings no.6

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
dongregg

Re: Seasons greetings no.6

Post by dongregg » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:42 pm

Hi John Ajvide! Always great to see your friendly avatar. Thanks for sharing so much information with us.

I am particularly touched by your words of welcome to our new members:
johnajvide wrote:I still pop into this forum every now and then and I can see that there are fewer active users, as is natural. Still I am amazed by how many there still are, and how you still manage to find things to discuss. And to those new ones that have joined: Welcome. As you probably have noticed by now, this is as warm, welcoming and intelligent place.
All true, including fewer new members. But as for that, the forum is still remarkably dynamic. About 106 fans signed up in 2009, and, for comparison, 56 have signed up in 2014.

From Wolfie's membership graphic, it looks as though the biggest period of growth was 2010-2011. The core of our most active members persist from those first years, and enthusiastic fans continue to join and to contribute wit, wisdom, whimsy and great new art and fan fiction. That has to be some kind of record for persistence and attraction in the short attention span world of the Internet.

It doesn't hurt that you respect your fan base. (LTODD was such a loving thing to give us.) It doesn't hurt that you continue to write best sellers. Still, for my money, the core of your fan base is motivated by your novel and film. "Them's got legs," so to speak. The play in New York comes to mind. It has some serious local press attention (New York Times), and it was mentioned in coming attractions in the Theatre Section of the New Yorker three weeks ago. I'll be one of four WTI members who are meeting for a performance in February. You'll be in balmy Cuba while we're in NOT balmy Brooklyn!

Again I thank you for the attention you lavish on us and I wish you a cool Yule and a great New Year! :D
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

danielma

Post by danielma » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:44 am

johnajvide wrote:Hej, alla;
Hello John, seasons greetings to you and your family while we're at it :)
I still pop into this forum every now and then and I can see that there are fewer active users, as is natural. Still I am amazed by how many there still are, and how you still manage to find things to discuss. And to those new ones that have joined: Welcome. As you probably have noticed by now, this is as warm, welcoming and intelligent place.
Sadly it's true, I use to lurk this forum almost every day but with life and all, its gotten harder to find free time. Been studying Japanese throughout 2014 so most of my time has gone towards studying and I find myself having less and less free time as a result. But I still love this place and the members as well.
Anyway. Right now I am somewhere past the middle of the follow-up to Himmelstrand/I am behind you. It deals with a period of time when I lived in a small house in a yard, fifty meters from the spot where Olof Palme was killed. The protagonist in the book is called John Lindqvist, a young man trying to find a career as a magician. The book deals quite a lot with practical magic, the tunnel of Brunkeberg and the field that is central to the plot of Himmelstrand. It is half-autobigraphical in the vein of Let the right one in. The first few chapters will be published together with the paperback of Himmelstrand in the spring.
Very anxious to get my hands on the English translation once it comes about :)

In april I will start writing a new film for a danish production company, based on one of my stories. My specific intention for this one is to make a horror movie. All my other scripts, including LTROI, are more soft around the edges. The challenge I have set before me here is to write something that makes you cringe and scream. The story is well suited for it. Can´t tell you which one, but you might be able to guess.
Little Star? Please let it be Little Star :) I would pay any amount of money to see that book turned into a film.
Oh, if you really want to get terrified this christmas, play "Alien: Isolation". It´s the first game I have ever played where I am acually reluctant to load the save file and continue since I know how scared I am going to be. Not the gretest game ever, but certainly the scariest.
Been meaning to play it but just haven't had the time. Studying Japanese and all, its taken a lot of free time that I used to have :)
Once again: all my best to all of you.
Best of wishes to you and your family as well, good sir. Here's hoping 2015 brings many good tidings your way :)
My Blog: Toxic Culture
Neon Maniacs: Link

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:35 am

This is what I always think of when I read one of John's posts ... my head spinning from all the creative output! :D

Keep up all the good work, and best wishes to you for 2015! You know We, the Infected will always be your loyal fans! :)

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:47 pm

Merry Christmas John, look forward to reading more from you. :)

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

The_Father

Post by The_Father » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:31 am

God jul, John!!!! I just got back from four months in Stockholm (studying abroad) and the last thing I did before leaving was watch LTROI again. I also went to Blackeberg a few times; I explored Blackeberg while listening to the soundtrack (I went to the places in Blackeberg corresponding to the different songs), and read parts of the book in the Thai restaurant which was formerly the candy kiosk (I'm assuming). I had the best time of my life in Stockholm and other parts of Europe, and I cannot wait to get back - I am hoping to get an internship there next summer. LTROI (the movie and the book) were the original reasons I chose to study abroad in Stockholm, so thank you so much for introducing me to such a wonderful place where I had an amazing time :D . I can honestly say your book changed my life!

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:54 am

The_Father wrote:God jul, John!!!! I just got back from four months in Stockholm (studying abroad) and the last thing I did before leaving was watch LTROI again. I also went to Blackeberg a few times; I explored Blackeberg while listening to the soundtrack (I went to the places in Blackeberg corresponding to the different songs), and read parts of the book in the Thai restaurant which was formerly the candy kiosk (I'm assuming). I had the best time of my life in Stockholm and other parts of Europe, and I cannot wait to get back - I am hoping to get an internship there next summer. LTROI (the movie and the book) were the original reasons I chose to study abroad in Stockholm, so thank you so much for introducing me to such a wonderful place where I had an amazing time :D . I can honestly say your book changed my life!
Great first post! Welcome to the We The Infected forum.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Mendora

Post by Mendora » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:11 pm

wow, i'm busy lately so i'm completely forgot about this :shock:

well, i may be late for the party... but merry Christmas anyway!
(and happy new year too. :) )

ElisLove

Post by ElisLove » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:25 pm

Hello john.
I'm a brazilian fan of this story, I found this book now, in 2015. It's fantastic.
To you get a sense, this book was released in Brazil at 2012. It's very bad.
Maybe, still exist many people who do not have chance to read this book.

Happy new year

*sorry my bad english

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:38 pm

Hi, ElisLove, and welcome. I saw you joined a few days ago. It's good to read your first post. Glad you got the book. You're not the only member from Brazil, by the way. One member had a lot of questions about how Eli's gender is presented in Portuguese and in Swedish (pronouns). It led to a lot of good discussions and good information. :)

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”