In which part we do find out about Eli?

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
Alice?Maybe

Re: In which part we do find out about Eli?

Post by Alice?Maybe » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:54 pm

metoo wrote:Another objection I have to she-ing Eli is that it is a stronger statement than the male form. In English, as well as in Swedish and other languages, the male gender is the default and therefore more neutral. In Swedish a gender neutral "hen" has been proposed, but what would the English counterpart be?
Interesting take on pronoun impact. And I was just coming around to the powerfulness of switching from she to he in the book. It is uncomfortable and helps share Oskar's conflict with us. But the masculine pronoun as the more neutral I hadn't considered.

As far a a gender neutral pronoun in English, seems there are several contenders and many people who think everyone should just make up their own (might be good for egos but seems would shut down effective communication).
"I'm not a girl" (except when I am)

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:42 pm

Alice?Maybe wrote:
metoo wrote:Another objection I have to she-ing Eli is that it is a stronger statement than the male form. In English, as well as in Swedish and other languages, the male gender is the default and therefore more neutral. In Swedish a gender neutral "hen" has been proposed, but what would the English counterpart be?
Interesting take on pronoun impact. And I was just coming around to the powerfulness of switching from she to he in the book. It is uncomfortable and helps share Oskar's conflict with us. But the masculine pronoun as the more neutral I hadn't considered.

As far a a gender neutral pronoun in English, seems there are several contenders and many people who think everyone should just make up their own (might be good for egos but seems would shut down effective communication).
Here's the thing--there's no getting away from the gender ambiguity JAL created in the novel and the film. WTI is a lovely forum for discussing our own response to the ambiguity, as well as how we feel and think about other aspects of the story. I am particulary pleased at the new point of view that A?M brings to the table, on this thread as well as the one concerning Eli's hygene.

As for approaching the ambiguity by understanding JAL’s use of pronouns, or that the pronouns don’t match in other languages, I think that nothing can resolve the ambiguity that JAL created. The ambiguity is there in the Swedish.

And as for the masculine gender being the default (and thus somewhat neutral) in many languages—yes, true, such as mankind and chairman. In Spanish, nino and nina, but ninos for a mixed group of kids. But English is quickly and consciously replacing gender-specific nouns. The new nouns don’t often end up being very euphonious, but it needs to go forward—humankind, chairperson (or just chair). Masculine pronouns, though, are not more neutral. We try to mask gender sometimes by misusing “they.” “If a student needs something, they only have to ask.” It is, properly stated, “he or she only has to ask.” Yeah, yeah, Shakespeare did it, too, but a plural pronoun with a singular noun is not pretty.

One interesting note: Eli is actually referred to as she once in the film, by Virginia. “Det där barnet...Hon måste ha smittat mig.”

So, play around with it all you want to, but the issues remain. PeteMork spoke of it not being a done deal because Eli had not attained puberty when she was turned. The done deal is in utero as far as sex goes (The jury is still out when gender is a done deal, if ever, but I lean toward “in utero,” also.) Second, however I feel about sex and gender in non-vampires, Eli has lived a long, long time, and being used as an object of sexual desire opens the door to her seeing herself as a boy, a girl, both, neither, or something else.

Edit: In Spanish, niño and niña, but niños for a mixed group of kids.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:47 pm

Actually the gender ambiguity is more an English translation issue than anything else. After finishing the novel (in Swedish), I was left with the feeling that JAL had tricked me for a while, because Oskar sees Eli as a girl and we share his POV. JAL never portrays Eli as a girl narratively - on the contrary, his traits are on the boyish side - however Oskar doesn't see this and then neither do we. Other views of Eli's gender are mixed; a kid, a girl, a boy (we know Håkan like boys for the wrong reasons and we also know he likes Eli, but at that point we go with Oskar's view).
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

metoo

Post by metoo » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:19 pm

The gender ambiguity is there in the first three quarters of the book, but ends when Oskar learns the truth. From then on, Eli is he - no only when viewed by Oskar, but also when viewed from a neutral vantage point:

En halvtimme till soluppgång.
Eli sitter tillbakalutad i fåtöljen i vardagsrummet. Han har varit inne hela natten, morgonen. Packat vad som finns att packa.
Imorgon kväll, så snart det blir mörkt, ska Eli gå till en telefonautomat, ringa efter en taxi. Han vet inte vilket nummer man ska ringa, men det är förmodligen något som alla människor vet. Bara att fråga. När taxin kommer ska han lasta in sina tre kartonger i bagageutrymmet och be taxichauffören att köra …
Vart?
Eli blundar, försöker föreställa sig en plats där han skulle vilja vara.

Half an hour to sunrise.
Eli is sitting leaning back in the armchair in the living room. He has stayed inside all night, morning. Packed what there is to pack.
Tomorrow night, as soon as it gets dark, Eli will go to a payphone, call a taxi. He does not know what number to call, but it's probably something that everyone knows. Just ask. When the taxi comes, he will load his three boxes into the trunk and ask the taxi driver to drive ...
Where to?
Eli closes his eyes, tries to imagine a place where he would like to be.

Since the novel ends this way, I feel it would be strange not to use male pronouns regarding Eli in my own fan fiction, which is set after the novel. Likewise, I find it strange to refer to Eli as she when writing on the forum. But I focus almost entirely on the novel, while many others confess being most strongly influenced by the film, where Eli comes out as a girl. I guess that explains the almost complete dominance of Eli being referred to as "she" on this forum.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

Alice?Maybe

Post by Alice?Maybe » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:14 am

sauvin wrote:Eli is what she is, whatever that might be. For us, she's a character in a story that does a powerful job of telling a story; as such, the only reason she might "worry" about her "gender identity" might be because we insist on doing so on her behalf. The real issue isn't her gender per se ("assigned" or "identified" or otherwise) so much as how Oskar perceives it in the light of his developing relationship with her. It's not about Eli, in other words, it's about Oskar... and about us.
Oskar is the main character, it's really his story. We meet all of the other characters through Oskar, not that they all have a relationship with him. Some are neighbours, but still in the story due to some connection to Oskar. So, Oskar's perceptions are very important, more so than Eli's perceptions. It is Oskar who faces the major conflict. Eli's gender is part of that conflict, or rather Oskar's perception of Eli's gender.
sauvin wrote:When Eli says she's "not a girl, not a boy, not young, not old, she's nothing", she probably isn't very focused on the fact that she no longer has the anatomical equipment to help bring the pitter patter of tiny feet to the ten-room house she's probably never going to own or share with anybody. She's a monster (but she isn't, really); Hakan correctly thinks of her as being more than a couple centuries old (but she isn't, really); she's just a slow and stupid child (but she certainly made short enough work of the Rubik's Cube that stymied so many geniuses, didn't she?). She's not a boy, and she's not a girl in pretty much the same way she's still fully human (except when she isn't) but saddled with an illness that pretty much "defines" her as an enemy of all humanity.
We read this differently. I get an anxiety, a self-consciousness from Eli concerning the lack of anatomy. So, in my reading I see the I'm not a girl, boy, child, etc., as arising from that anxiety, self-consciousness. So, I think that his anatomy was very much in the forefront of her mind. I'm nothing, is considered and not off the cuff. Again, as I read it.

I think that JAL does a great job of developing Eli so as to she her true humanity. Eli is very human. For me Eli is not the monster. While the perception of most would be that Eli is an inhuman monster, understandable for those who do not get to know her. We actually see more of her humanity than Oskar sees. We see her negotiate with Tommy to purchase his blood. She doesn't need to do that, she is more than capable of taking it. But Tommy is important to Oskar, so him living is important to Eli. Then we see her pray to God. The same prayer the cop sees in her name, my god, my god, why have you forsaken me. That is a very human thing to do. So we get to see the humanity that Latke, Virginia don't get to see. Humanizing the murderous, blood sucking monster is part of why I am infected.

Of course JAL humanizes all of the characters. And does a great job of it. Some have less humanity than others.
sauvin wrote:This has been discussed at great length in the past, sometimes with considerable heat. The only thing I personally know enough to say is that she's actually something of an undecideable proposition, that she is forced to exist in a kind of lightless and airless vacuum so far from the ecliptic of what's normal to the average person that we just have no kind of calculus to use in positioning her properly. For all that she sometimes exhibits masculine traits, as far as I can see, she's so utterly genderless that it just hasn't mattered at all in basically forever, something that most of us could never understand because it's too utterly foreign to our "either this or that" way of looking at things.
I would hope that the discussion doesn't get heated.

Those raised in and who have been attracted to post-modern thought, like those pre-moderns, may have less of an issue with atypical gender than our friends still entrenched in modernity with all its categories and everything in its category. We understand that things are rarely as neat as our categories would suggest. But this is a worthy discussion because people are being harmed for being gender non-conforming, hurt by being dehumanized, I digress.

I don't see Eli displaying masculine traits, but that could be my not gendering play. Add to that the fact that in my experience girls have been drawn to puzzles than boys, someone(s) suggested that puzzles are masculine.
sauvin wrote:It may never have mattered. Boys will be boys, it's said, and this seems true regardless of the boys' ages, but I have a strong impression that before a certain age, this "boy-ness" is an abstract concept that has no real emotional consequence, that it's just another fact of life, right along with the green-ness of the front lawn or the blue-ness of the daytime sky. The fact that the dangly bits might someday be somehow involved with becoming a father might be known, but also probably in a relatively abstract way - the boy of ten who loses his orchids to garden shears won't suffer quite the same kind of loss as the young man of fifteen who has to suffer a similar physical loss, because the former will quite literally never know what he's missing, whereas the young man of fifteen almost certainly does, at least to an extent.
The trans children I know girlness and boyness matter a great deal, even in children younger than Eli. It may matter more to them than it does to their cis counterparts because the social pressure to to conform to the ness opposite of the ness they identify with.

The difference between Eli and the poor kid who lost his heuvos to the garden shears wasn't infected with whatever it is that infects Eli. Here we can only speculate as to the effects of infection.
sauvin wrote:We do indeed walk a "precarious ledge" when "assigning" a gender to somebody else, and we walk just as precarious a ledge when getting a bit too involved with pigeonholing somebody for whom the fact (or fancy) of gender "identity" may not matter at all. In doing so, we simply fall into the same kind of trap with which Oskar himself had to wrestle in the hours or days after learning that his new girlfriend "isn't". All we really do is expose our own fears and prejudices.
Like I've been saying, we need to let Eli define Eli. Ultimately Eli's gender identity shouldn't matter. We should accept whatever that may turn out to be, if we ever know, which I doubt.
sauvin wrote:Are we really going to allow ourselves to worry about if she's really a he (or he really a she), if she's "straight, bi, gender-queer" or whatever when she's probably too young physically, mentally and emotionally to qualify as "legally old enough to give consent" - and will remain so for however many decades or centuries she might have before the sun sees her again?
Orientation and gender are separate entities. Yes, it is important to learn to not misgender people, including children. To let them define themselves and avoid the impulse to force people into our perceptions of them. Misgendering is dehumanizing. And the story itself deals with orientation. Oskar's conflict comes from these issues, his orientation and His perception of Eli's gender. Can he over come the negative attitudes he has heard about being gay? Which he does. We struggle because Oskar struggled.

intrige

Post by intrige » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:54 am

Alice, I am so glad you jointed the forum! Man you are so smart!
For many transe kids they know from very early on which gender they are, or have doubts from as long as they can remember, ofc this is not always the case, but very often. With "sexuallity" it is a bit different. And what I mean by "sexuallity" is that people can have a crush on someone without wanting to have sex with them. Like we all did when we were kids, having a crush on someone at scool long before reaching puberty. Well, my point is that some find out what they like based upon either who they have crushes on(gender-wise) or who they are very curious about (kid's sexuality before sex is in the picture) For many though, the "sexuallity" comes when they reaches puberty, and that is often what defines a person's gender preference. And it is pretty clear that neither Oskar nor Eli had reached puberty. Their thought to be upcoming sexuallity would not matter. Oskar was a bit curious about the magazines in Tommy's basement. That might hint that if he ever grew up he would probably be straight, well his sexuallity would at least is.

I know it doesn't matter. But .. In Norway, we have two different words for sexuallity. One is, hetroseksuell/sexual homoseksuell, biseksuell, etc. And Hetrofil/Latin for To Love. So basicly, the seksuell part is what you would like to have sex with, the fil part is what you will grow to love and have deep feelings for. It can be both, it can be none. The seksuell part in both Oskar and Eli is not relevant though, it will probably never be if Oskar gets infected. But the Fil part does. But somehow, I never think of them having a spesific Fil in the sence of hetrofil, or bifil, or homofil. That's too easy, and doesn't reflect whatever deep relationship they have for each other despite everything. Nonono, panfil, finding every gender, every type of human, I don't know about age, attractive, in a non-sexual way. if ANYTHING, that is what fits. I know it doesn't matter, but hey I find it interesting.

For the gender pronouns in the book, as said before it is all based on not only Oskar's perspectiv on Eli, but what he thinks makes a gender. What Eli says to Oskar about his gender identety is alsy very, childlike. I think it is very shortminded of a grown man to think that if his penis is chopped off he is no longer a man. I think he would wonder what really makes a man, and that one's genitals does not define it but rather the sosial norms and chreterias of what a man should do, does. Now imagine a boy Eli's age, having his genitals chopped off. Do you think that little boy would wonder about the same thing? What makes a boy a boy? A girl has (common for little boys to think) nothing down there, nothing they have seen, While boys have penises, so if it is not there anymore. He might as well be a girl, or, since he is not a girl, he could not be anything at all. He could be nothing.

Maybe Eli's convesation in the bed that evening was a bit rushed and he just wanted that topic to end without revieling too much. But I really do think Eli spoke from the top of his head, and that is what he got.
I think I menationed it in one of my newer fan-fics actually, because I had started thinking about such a topic.
Oskar: “Why do you call yourself Eli and not Elias, anyway?”
Eli: “I donno..” Eli answered, at last. “Maybe.. I donno..” He sighed, tried to remember. “I think it had something to do with.. After the landlord had grown tired of me and set me free.. I.. I was so ashamed of what I was, and understood that what I used to be I wasn't anymore. And besides, I wasn't a boy anymore, and Elias was a boy's name.”
Oskar: “But.. When you think about it, with a grown man.. Is it what's between his legs that makes him a man?”
Eli: “I donno, is it? Oh, and some of the men I got help from liked me better when they called me Eli. I think one of them invented it, actually”
Oskar: “Well you don't need to worry about what they think anymore.”
Eli: "No I don't."
From: http://let-the-right-one-in.com/fancont ... -peter-pan
Ofc I just made up some parts that were blank from the book. And I know JAL has a thing for asexuality, and nongenderspesific people. Eli might just be a product of that, and how weird Morrissey was. Even though JAL has confirmed in former posts that Eli was not inspired by Morrissey's asexuality and all that, there might be some traces from Morrissey in Eli. :)
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

Alice?Maybe

Post by Alice?Maybe » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:52 am

metoo wrote:The gender ambiguity is there in the first three quarters of the book, but ends when Oskar learns the truth. From then on, Eli is he - no only when viewed by Oskar, but also when viewed from a neutral vantage point:

En halvtimme till soluppgång.
Eli sitter tillbakalutad i fåtöljen i vardagsrummet. Han har varit inne hela natten, morgonen. Packat vad som finns att packa.
Imorgon kväll, så snart det blir mörkt, ska Eli gå till en telefonautomat, ringa efter en taxi. Han vet inte vilket nummer man ska ringa, men det är förmodligen något som alla människor vet. Bara att fråga. När taxin kommer ska han lasta in sina tre kartonger i bagageutrymmet och be taxichauffören att köra …
Vart?
Eli blundar, försöker föreställa sig en plats där han skulle vilja vara.

Half an hour to sunrise.
Eli is sitting leaning back in the armchair in the living room. He has stayed inside all night, morning. Packed what there is to pack.
Tomorrow night, as soon as it gets dark, Eli will go to a payphone, call a taxi. He does not know what number to call, but it's probably something that everyone knows. Just ask. When the taxi comes, he will load his three boxes into the trunk and ask the taxi driver to drive ...
Where to?
Eli closes his eyes, tries to imagine a place where he would like to be.

Since the novel ends this way, I feel it would be strange not to use male pronouns regarding Eli in my own fan fiction, which is set after the novel. Likewise, I find it strange to refer to Eli as she when writing on the forum. But I focus almost entirely on the novel, while many others confess being most strongly influenced by the film, where Eli comes out as a girl. I guess that explains the almost complete dominance of Eli being referred to as "she" on this forum.
Actually, after this scene, Tommy recognizes Eli as a girl. When Eli goes to the pool:

"'Say I can come in.' ... Micke nodded, ... "You can come in."
"The girl pulled back from the door."

After Eli is referred to as an angel. I can buy Eli as an angel.

Alice?Maybe

Post by Alice?Maybe » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:23 am

intrige wrote:Alice, I am so glad you jointed the forum! Man you are so smart!
For many transe kids they know from very early on which gender they are, or have doubts from as long as they can remember, ofc this is not always the case, but very often. With "sexuallity" it is a bit different. And what I mean by "sexuallity" is that people can have a crush on someone without wanting to have sex with them. Like we all did when we were kids, having a crush on someone at scool long before reaching puberty. Well, my point is that some find out what they like based upon either who they have crushes on(gender-wise) or who they are very curious about (kid's sexuality before sex is in the picture) For many though, the "sexuallity" comes when they reaches puberty, and that is often what defines a person's gender preference. And it is pretty clear that neither Oskar nor Eli had reached puberty. Their thought to be upcoming sexuallity would not matter. Oskar was a bit curious about the magazines in Tommy's basement. That might hint that if he ever grew up he would probably be straight, well his sexuallity would at least is.

I know it doesn't matter. But .. In Norway, we have two different words for sexuallity. One is, hetroseksuell/sexual homoseksuell, biseksuell, etc. And Hetrofil/Latin for To Love. So basicly, the seksuell part is what you would like to have sex with, the fil part is what you will grow to love and have deep feelings for. It can be both, it can be none. The seksuell part in both Oskar and Eli is not relevant though, it will probably never be if Oskar gets infected. But the Fil part does. But somehow, I never think of them having a spesific Fil in the sence of hetrofil, or bifil, or homofil. That's too easy, and doesn't reflect whatever deep relationship they have for each other despite everything. Nonono, panfil, finding every gender, every type of human, I don't know about age, attractive, in a non-sexual way. if ANYTHING, that is what fits. I know it doesn't matter, but hey I find it interesting.

For the gender pronouns in the book, as said before it is all based on not only Oskar's perspectiv on Eli, but what he thinks makes a gender. What Eli says to Oskar about his gender identety is alsy very, childlike. I think it is very shortminded of a grown man to think that if his penis is chopped off he is no longer a man. I think he would wonder what really makes a man, and that one's genitals does not define it but rather the sosial norms and chreterias of what a man should do, does. Now imagine a boy Eli's age, having his genitals chopped off. Do you think that little boy would wonder about the same thing? What makes a boy a boy? A girl has (common for little boys to think) nothing down there, nothing they have seen, While boys have penises, so if it is not there anymore. He might as well be a girl, or, since he is not a girl, he could not be anything at all. He could be nothing.

Maybe Eli's convesation in the bed that evening was a bit rushed and he just wanted that topic to end without revieling too much. But I really do think Eli spoke from the top of his head, and that is what he got.
I think I menationed it in one of my newer fan-fics actually, because I had started thinking about such a topic.
Oskar: “Why do you call yourself Eli and not Elias, anyway?”
Eli: “I donno..” Eli answered, at last. “Maybe.. I donno..” He sighed, tried to remember. “I think it had something to do with.. After the landlord had grown tired of me and set me free.. I.. I was so ashamed of what I was, and understood that what I used to be I wasn't anymore. And besides, I wasn't a boy anymore, and Elias was a boy's name.”
Oskar: “But.. When you think about it, with a grown man.. Is it what's between his legs that makes him a man?”
Eli: “I donno, is it? Oh, and some of the men I got help from liked me better when they called me Eli. I think one of them invented it, actually”
Oskar: “Well you don't need to worry about what they think anymore.”
Eli: "No I don't."
From: http://let-the-right-one-in.com/fancont ... -peter-pan
Ofc I just made up some parts that were blank from tmhe book. And I know JAL has a thing for asexuality, and nongenderspesific people. Eli might just be a product of that, and how weird Morrissey was. Even though JAL has confirmed in former posts that Eli was not inspired by Morrissey's asexuality and all that, there might be some traces from Morrissey in Eli. :)
Thank you, intrige. Thank you very much.

I read your linked FF. nice. I like the snowflakes :)

metoo

Post by metoo » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:52 am

metoo wrote:The gender ambiguity is there in the first three quarters of the book, but ends when Oskar learns the truth. From then on, Eli is he - no only when viewed by Oskar, but also when viewed from a neutral vantage point :[...]
Alice?Maybe wrote:Actually, after this scene, Tommy recognizes Eli as a girl. When Eli goes to the pool:

"'Say I can come in.' ... Micke nodded, ... "You can come in."
"The girl pulled back from the door."

After Eli is referred to as an angel. I can buy Eli as an angel.
True, but neither Tommy nor Micke nor the other boys around the pool are neutral viewers in the sense I meant it. The point I tried to make is that the neutral narrator, i.e. JAL himself, uses male pronouns about Eli in the last quarter of the book.

And the angel hardly was from heaven. ;)
Last edited by metoo on Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

EEA

Post by EEA » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:03 am

I agree with metoo in the novel Eli is a boy.
The movie has had a big influence on me after seeing and I see Eli as a girl due to Lina's strong performance. To me both Eli from the movie and the novel are the same.
Though this is more about Oskar's journey in accepting Eli and not caring about whether Eli is a girl or a boy.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”