Is it possible to look like Eli? *(book vers.)

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
lombano

Re: Is it possible to look like Eli? *(book vers.)

Post by lombano » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:51 am

sauvin wrote:
lombano wrote:Welcome. BloodyMary! Missed your pic so can't comment. Intrige may have the dark hair, etc, but she still somehow doesn't look vampiric.
Young, long dark hair, big DARK eyes. Very lovely young lady and could very easily have been an Eli in other parts of the world.
Agreed.
BloodyMary wrote:I look "soulless."
Not at all. In that pic you look withdrawn, sad. Not soulless.
Bli mig lite.

Clubmeister

Post by Clubmeister » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:13 pm

intrige wrote:Image
I think, if we will keep in mind, that the boy was mentioned and try to imagine the boy with such a face (face only), this phrase:
"Everyone who saw him said he was the most beautiful child they had ever seen." becomes absolutely real.
He is looking at me, silently, expectantly, in the near-dark room, neither smiling nor frowning; gaunt as a Belsen child, proud as the Devil, distant and beautiful as a star. [DMt.]

crazychristina

Post by crazychristina » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:02 am

I have a small project (currently on the backburner) where I created 'Eli' based on Audrey Hepburn (previous post).

BloodyMary

Post by BloodyMary » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:33 pm

snaps wrote: Image
Rebecka Liljeberg, Swedish former juvenile film actor, but also has some ethnic Finnish parentage. Has trademark expressive eyes. Looks quite vampy in a lot of photos/ screenshots :wub:
I agree! <3 Definitely her! She's 30, now, with children!? I haven't watched any films of her, but I'm guessing they are beautiful! I'm mesmerized by her beauty. She is perfect!

Also, there is Natalia Vodianova. A Russian super model. She is a mother of three kids.
There's something about Rebecka, and Natalia that's very mesmerizing. Maybe, it's youth, and innocence?

Although, they have lighter hair/eyes compared to Eli, they have that "extremely beautiful face" I'm starting to know now.

Especially, these beautiful photos taken by Paolo Roversi.
ImageImageImage

dom-on-ho

Post by dom-on-ho » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:38 pm

My big question is this, what color are Eli and Oskars eyes? I cant find any reference in the novel describing their eye colors.
Flashing lights and screaming siren
Scrambling for heartbeat
Straining for a breath
Looking for recognition in the eye
Staving off the Reaper one at a time

metoo

Post by metoo » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:34 pm

Eli has dark eyes. Find the place where Eli comes to spend the night in Oskar's bed.
Hennes ögon var vidöppna, blåsvarta i månljuset.
Here eyes were wide open, bluish black in the moonlight.

When Lacke just has kicked Eli away from Virginia:
Ett par enorma, mörka ögon mötte Lackes,
A pair of enormous, dark eyes met Lacke's.

When Eli comes to the hospital reception:
Hon höll inte blicken i golvet så som barn ofta gör i en främmande miljö, nej, de mörka ögonen såg rakt in i Mauds medan hon rörde sig fram mot disken.
She didn't keep her gaze to the floor like children often do in a strange environment, no, the dark eyes gazed straight into Maud's while she moved towards the counter.

The are at least yet a couple of references to Eli's eye colour.

Oskar most likely has blue eyes and blond hair, like in the movie. John is blond, darkish these days, but at twelve he probably was quite blond, and Oskar is based on himself.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

dom-on-ho

Post by dom-on-ho » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:42 pm

metoo wrote:Eli has dark eyes. Find the place where Eli comes to spend the night in Oskar's bed.
Hennes ögon var vidöppna, blåsvarta i månljuset.
Here eyes were wide open, bluish black in the moonlight.

When Lacke just has kicked Eli away from Virginia:
Ett par enorma, mörka ögon mötte Lackes,
A pair of enormous, dark eyes met Lacke's.

When Eli comes to the hospital reception:
Hon höll inte blicken i golvet så som barn ofta gör i en främmande miljö, nej, de mörka ögonen såg rakt in i Mauds medan hon rörde sig fram mot disken.
She didn't keep her gaze to the floor like children often do in a strange environment, no, the dark eyes gazed straight into Maud's while she moved towards the counter.

Thanks, that helps a little, Haken said herveyes were like Samuel Becketts so that would make them a steel blue so with your help I think I am going with that color, a bright steel blue.
The are at least yet a couple of references to Eli's eye colour.

Oskar most likely has blue eyes and blond hair, like in the movie. John is blond, darkish these days, but at twelve he probably was quite blond, and Oskar is based on himself.
Scrambling for heartbeat
Straining for a breath

metoo

Post by metoo » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:15 pm

dom-on-ho wrote:Thanks, that helps a little, Haken said herveyes were like Samuel Becketts so that would make them a steel blue so with your help I think I am going with that color, a bright steel blue.
Well, that refers to the expression of Eli's eyes, rather than the colour:
[Håkan] hade tittat in i Elis ögon och sett en uråldrig människas visdom och likgiltighet. Det hade skrämt honom till en början; Samuel Becketts ögon i Audrey Hepburns ansikte.
[Håkan] had looked into Eli's eyes and seen an ancient person's wisdom and indifference. It had frightened him at first; Samuel Beckett's eyes in Audrey Hepburn's face.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

dom-on-ho

Post by dom-on-ho » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:27 pm

metoo wrote:
dom-on-ho wrote:Thanks, that helps a little, Haken said herveyes were like Samuel Becketts so that would make them a steel blue so with your help I think I am going with that color, a bright steel blue.
Well, that refers to the expression of Eli's eyes, rather than the colour:
[Håkan] hade tittat in i Elis ögon och sett en uråldrig människas visdom och likgiltighet. Det hade skrämt honom till en början; Samuel Becketts ögon i Audrey Hepburns ansikte.
[Håkan] had looked into Eli's eyes and seen an ancient person's wisdom and indifference. It had frightened him at first; Samuel Beckett's eyes in Audrey Hepburn's face.
I agree, but no where in the book does it give us her eye color and part of Samuel Becketts particular look is in his eye color, an almost frozen ice blue, and it would fit Eli.
Scrambling for heartbeat
Straining for a breath

metoo

Post by metoo » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:19 pm

dom-on-ho wrote:I agree, but no where in the book does it give us her eye color and part of Samuel Becketts particular look is in his eye color, an almost frozen ice blue, and it would fit Eli.
I think I listed three instances where Eli's eye colour is given. But I guess you want to know the hue, or tint. In that case I'd say Eli's eyes are dark brown. Apparently, brown is the only possible hue for dark human eyes.

That said, you of course are free to choose whatever eye colour you like for your own imaginary Eli!

Dark eyes. Pushkar by entrelec, on Flickr

By the way, Lina's natural eyes fit the description quite well:

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”