Songs that make you think of Oskar & Eli

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
Dominic

Re: Songs that make you think of Oskar & Eli

Post by Dominic » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:30 pm

Nine Inch Nails - "We're in this together"

Well its a very rough industrial-song which stands in a total contrast to the relative calm movie
but.. when you read the lyrics you see what i mean ;)

"We're In This Together"

I've become impossible
holding on to when
when everything seemed to matter more
the two of us
all used and beaten up
watching fate as it flows down the path we
have chose

you and me
we're in this together now
none of them can stop us now
we will make it through somehow
you and me
if the world should break in two
until the very end of me
until the very end of you

awake to the sound as they peel apart the skin
they pick and they pull
trying to get their fingers in
well they've got to kill what we've found
well they've got to hate what they fear
well they've got to make it go away
well they've got to make it disappear

the farther I fall I'm beside you
as lost as I get I will find you
the deeper the wound I'm inside you
for ever and ever I'm a part of

you and me
you and me
if the world should break in two
until the very end of me
until the very end of you

all that we were is gone we have to hold on
when all our hope is gone we have to hold on
all that we were is gone but we can hold on

you and me
you and me
even after everything
you're the queen and I'm the king
nothing else means anything
'I've got so many faces - and non of them looks good'

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:29 pm

This is perfect! Gave me a catch in the throat in a few places. As to calm--yes, the film is calm (as you said earlier, a meditation), but the Blackeberg of the 1980s seems like a cold, hard place to be a kid in. I think the tone of the song's words fit that time and place.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:41 pm

Exactly! :)
'I've got so many faces - and non of them looks good'

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:36 pm

I was listening to this song and scenes from the movie started playing in my head, but this applies to the book Eli and Oskar as well.
To everything - turn, turn, turn
There is a season - turn, turn, turn
And a time to every purpose under heaven
A time to be born, a time to die
A time to plant, a time to reap
A time to kill, a time to heal
A time to laugh, a time to weep
A time to build up, a time to break down
A time to dance, a time to mourn
A time to cast away stones
A time to gather stones together
A time of love, a time of hate
A time of war, a time of peace
A time you may embrace
A time to refrain from embracing
A time to gain, a time to lose
A time to rend, a time to sew
A time for love, a time for hate
A time for peace, I swear it's not too late!

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

Sven_

Post by Sven_ » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:45 pm

Hi there,

pretty much had this on on repeat the last couple of days. It's from a Swedish band, actually, Immanu El. Considering their sound, and the lyrics, maybe you'll see why. These all ring Eli.

https://soundcloud.com/immanuelband/conquistador
Your voice
fails your speech
your eyes
wanders off
despite your skills
you shiver like a leaf
By now
you've reached your top
alone you
fought your war
despite your strength
all you conquered
turns to dust

Major confession: I'm waiting for my paperback of LTRI to arrive. Only seen the (original) movie yet. A little scared about the book being far less ambiguous about the gender issue. Part of the appeal of the movie to me was that it worked like a boy-meets-girl story to a degree, but without all the clichès. Has anybody been to Blackeberg or thereabouts? I'm at a stage in my life I shouldn't be considering my age (should be long settled by now but aren't close), still have some money to spare and was however casually thinking about reading the book somewhere up there also in an attempt to get away for a while for a couple of days. I've always wanted to travel to Sweden anyways.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:39 pm

Hi Sven_. Welcome to the forum. Agree about the song's words.

I'm told by a number of members that reading the book will enhance my understanding of the LTROI world. I guess that goes without saying, but it's been two years and I still don't have it on my (long) reading list. Oh well. I adore the film. (I also haven't seen the American remake.) And I get so much from reading the fan fictions that members have posted here.

The film is very dear to me. I watch it streaming from Amazon and on my Blu-ray player. I bug my friends and fellow workers to watch it.

Fans of the book and the film assure me that reading the book won't "damage" my feelings about the film, and I agree with them. I don't see how it could. The thing is, the film itself is a complete package. I mean, it's a story that starts, has a middle, and then ends. I, too, like the ambiguity, not just of the gender questions we have but also about what happens to these two beautiful children when they leave the train. I feel that part of the film's mystique is it doesn't spoon feed the audience with pat answers.

So again welcome! I look forward to more of your posts.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:49 am

Sven_ wrote: I'm waiting for my paperback of LTRI to arrive. Only seen the (original) movie yet. A little scared about the book being far less ambiguous about the gender issue. Part of the appeal of the movie to me was that it worked like a boy-meets-girl story to a degree, but without all the clichès. Has anybody been to Blackeberg or thereabouts? I'm at a stage in my life I shouldn't be considering my age (should be long settled by now but aren't close), still have some money to spare and was however casually thinking about reading the book somewhere up there also in an attempt to get away for a while for a couple of days. I've always wanted to travel to Sweden anyways.
Read the book. There's nothing to be scared of. I love the original Swedish film, but without the novel you're only seeing part of the image. LTROI is a well written story and I honestly believe that that the film was designed to nudge viewers to to the pages of the novel.
My friend dongregg ceaselessly refuses to partake in the Lindqvist's writings deciding to solely embrace the movie.
There's nothing wrong with that.. However in my opinion, seeing the film without reading the book is like eating hot dog without mustard or seeing the world in black and white without assistance of the color spectrum.
In any case, book will assist in attempt to understand what JAL meant to say.
We might not solve the riddle, but it sure will be fun trying.
http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:50 am

Nightrider wrote:Read the book. There's nothing to be scared of. I love the original Swedish film, but without the novel you're only seeing part of the image. LTROI is a well written story and I honestly believe that that the film was designed to nudge viewers to to the pages of the novel.
My friend dongregg ceaselessly refuses to partake in the Lindqvist's writings deciding to solely embrace the movie.

There's nothing wrong with that.. However in my opinion, seeing the film without reading the book is like eating hot dog without mustard or seeing the world in black and white without assistance of the color spectrum.
In any case, book will assist in attempt to understand what JAL meant to say.
We might not solve the riddle, but it sure will be fun trying.
Which is to say, there's a nicely balanced range of what we bring to the LTROI experience. As you will see soon enough, Sven_, we all hold each other in high regard on the forum. While the novel is not way up on my reading list, I found "Let the Old Dreams Die" in the eponymous short story collection to be one of the best written and moving stories I've ever run across. And several of us went to New York to see LTROI the play that just ended a nice run in Brooklyn (including four who met on the same night to see it, Nightrider and I being two of the four).

P.S. to Nightrider. I like your analogy, especially since I had two hotdogs for dinner tonight with nothing but mustard! Ha ha! Like I said, a range of forum members and our tastes! Chef Dianne will laugh at me, too, when I share this with her. :lol:

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:30 am

By the way...after I initially saw the the film it took me almost three months to read the book. I wasn't sure if i should, but somehow I sensed there was more to the story.

On the subject of food...My obsession with lingonberries is still alive.
I've tried two Sweden made preserves found locally and now I found one made in Bulgaria. I've yet to try it.
You should find some. They are great.

http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:44 am

Mmmm, lingonberries...

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”