Eli's Gender (Summary)

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
Dragonclaws

Eli's Gender (Summary)

Post by Dragonclaws » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:08 am

The following is a post written for my blog. Considering it's about LTROI, based on several threads I've read here, and I mention some WTI users, I thought I'd crosspost:

For the past few weeks, I've been surfing the "We, the Infected" forums for Let the Right One In, and no topic seems to be as persistent as Eli's gender or possible lack thereof. While only briefly touched on in the Swedish film and blatantly ignored in the American remake Let Me In, the novel Let the Right One In plainly reveals the apparent vampire girl as an androgynous boy. People don't know what to make of this. The following is a summary of the information and points raised by users. Because Eli's gender identity is hard to ascertain, I will be using gender-neutral pronouns ze and hir.

The backstory of the Eli character is that ze was born a beautiful boy named Elias to a peasant family in the 1700s, and ze looked like a younger version of hir mother. There was an evil lord who liked young boys and ordered all the families to bring their boys to him so that he could pick his favorites. Elias was unlucky enough to be chosen. The lord castrated hir for his own sadistic pleasure, and then made Elias into a vampire. Elias was forced to abandon his family (although, the user bore posed the interesting theory that ze ended up eating them). By the time we meet hir in 1982, ze goes by Eli and apparently presents as female.

...It's not exactly clear if this is intentional. Eli is supposed to be very pretty anyway, so it could be that people just mistake hir as female and ze usually doesn't bother to correct them. Eli does notably say "I'm not a girl". However, when Oskar then asks if ze's male, ze says "No, no . . . I'm nothing. Not a child. Not old. Not a boy. Not a girl. Nothing".

So, Eli views hirself as outside all normal categories including gender. This might make hir genderqueer for the purpose of analysis from a modern LGBT perspective. Eli, in fact, never asserts a gender identity beyond stating what ze is not. In the original Swedish, the only gendered pronouns to describe Eli in the third-person narrative come from Oskar's perception of his friend's gender. A similar thing is done in the English version, but due to English's lack of gender-neutral pronouns, Eli is referred to as female outside of Oskar's perspective where it was otherwise neutral.

The book's author, John Ajvide Lindqvist, has posted on the "We, the Infected" forums a bit. In one post, he clears up some of his intentions with the Eli character:

I knew from the beginning that Eli was a boy. What happened when I let Eli meet Oskar was that Eli started to change his behaviour from what I had originally envisioned. I didn´t even know that they were going to fall in love. But I felt that Eli/Elias would try to appear more likeable in order to ge closer to Oskar, once he had decided not to kill him (The stroke on the cheek). Since Oskar percieves Eli as a girl, Eli is content with not informing him otherwise, although he can´t help himself on a few occasions. Eli doesn´t want to fool Oskar, he is uncertain if Oskar is going to leave him if the truth comes out

He adds:

Also, I tend to be interested in androgyneous (that word!) characters, and Eli was my first one. I wanted Eli to act as an in-between. Girlish sometimes, boyish sometimes. He can be anything, and he suprised me many times while writing the novel.

So, as far as the author sees the character, Eli is male but androgynous (correct spelling) and can act either feminine or masculine. One example of this is after Eli mindmelds with Oskar, showing him very firmly that ze is not a girl, and ze then takes one of Oskar's mom's old dresses to change into instead of some of Oskar's clothes (ze got hir other clothes all bloody).

Lindqvist ends his post by saying:

But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me.

Yes, nothing is associated with everything. In Harry Potter, for instance, a vanished object goes nowhere and thus becomes a part of everything. In Let the Right One In, Eli views hirself as "nothing" in hir depressed vampire way, but "nothing" can mean "anything" in a more hopeful outlook. At the end of the book, Oskar smuggles Eli onto a train by keeping hir in a big suitcase. When the ticket-taker questions what's inside it, he says "a little bit of everything".

That's the novel. In the film, Eli is played by the very feminine Lina Leandersson, and all there is to show that Eli is androgynous is the line "I'm not a girl" and a brief shot of hir scarred crotch area. The line "I'm not a girl" isn't elaborated on, so the viewer can come to any conclusion as to its meaning, including "I'm a vampire" and "I'm an old woman". The crotch shot is very brief, and the fact that it's included at all is jarring, so it's easy to not understand the point of the shot. Oskar's only reaction to the glimpse is to widen his eyes, which could just be the reaction of a 12-year-old boy seeing his girlfriend's genitalia, and not 'OMG, my girlfriend's a castrated boy'. The film can easily be viewed without the viewer realizing there's anything unusual with Eli's gender. In fact, that's what happened with me. It took Internet browsing to learn Eli's not the cis girl ze appears.

In the forums, the user babyboi102909 has made the suggestion that book Eli is supposed to be a trans girl, that hir femininity and feminine presentation is evidence of a female gender identity. I am inclined to disagree due to the author's comments on the matter. Lindqvist likes androgyny, and Eli's femininity is just an expression of hir androgynous personality. However, the user Ingenting-ing has also made the interesting suggestion that film Eli can be thought of as a trans girl due to the actress' feminine portrayal. Having come from the perspective of initially viewing hir as a girl, I'm inclined to agree insofar as it's accepted as artistic reinterpretation and not the creators' intent.

The American remake Let Me In basically annihilates all queerness from the story. The line "I'm not a girl" is kept in, and Eli's American counterpart Abby elaborates that ze's "nothing" but doesn't touch gender. The crotch shot was removed, but Oskar's counterpart Owen is shown having a surprised reaction to peeking on Abby. Without the context, the only interpretation is that he's just surprised to see his girlfriend naked. A deleted scene shows Abby being attacked by hir sire, in which Abby appears feminine. Actress Chloe Moretz describes in an interview how director Matt Reeves had her write a diary from the perspective of the Abby character, and she wrote about Abby being turned by her creepy uncle. While unlikely to be canon, it shows a definite ignorance of the novel Let the Right One In. In an interview, Lindqvist complains that when he was consulted to shorten the title, "Let Her In" was the suggestion, showing that the androgyny of the Eli character was not well known by the American creators. Well, Matt Reeves does mention it in the audio commentary, but only in regard to how the peeking scene went in the Swedish version.

So, that's the low down on Eli and hir gender. In the novel, Eli came from the poor castrated boy Elias, and after which became a more androgynous person. In the film, Eli's background is only briefly brushed upon, and actress Lina Leandersson makes it easy enough to believe Eli is all girl if you aren't quick enough to catch the implications. In the American remake, Abby seems pretty clearly a cis girl. What exists as hints to Eli's true nature in the Swedish film are turned into what are more like references to the original film. Why, Eli truly is "a little bit of everything".
"The human body can be drained of blood in 8.6 seconds given adequate vacuuming systems." --River, Firefly

Casper

Re: Eli's Gender (Summary)

Post by Casper » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:06 pm

My rambling thoughts:

When one of my friends saw let me in, that was one of his first questions: "What does she mean when she says I'm not a girl". I had to explain to him the multiple interpretations available to him depending on how familiar he was with the story. Gender, as spoken of in the social sciences, is tricky. The sex of a person is their biological classification, easy enough. Gender is how a person is classified despite what their sex is. There are so many factors both internal (biological / psychological) and external (social: including family, friends, cultural and religious norms) that to truly ponder the implications of claiming a gender ranges from being a simple to an unbelievably complex experience. Even in my university sociology and psychology classes we spent hours discussing this and did not even make a dent in all that could be discussed. Some people claimed to be one or the other based on their own definition, discussion closed. Others spend hours trying to define one or the other, and still more hours are spend arguing that they are more than just two genders available for categorization.

The following are merely my opinions: To think that a 12 year old could completely realize herself in terms of gender is unlikely. As a person with a 12 year old mind, she would be naturally driven to define herself based on social norms, but this is not possible, and so she claims non-identity. There is no widely accepted social category for what she is. And so she simply acts as she is compelled to act. Sometimes this is as a boy, sometimes this is as a girl, sometimes as a child, and sometimes as a hardened person who has seen too much. And these actions are not only impulsive, as the book tells us, but sometimes intentional in her efforts to manipulate people to her own advantage.

Very nice post by the way, I enjoyed it. 8-)
Carpe Noctem

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:50 am

Dragonclaws wrote:Also, I tend to be interested in androgyneous (that word!) characters, and Eli was my first one. I wanted Eli to act as an in-between. Girlish sometimes, boyish sometimes. He can be anything, and he suprised me many times while writing the novel.

So, as far as the author sees the character, Eli is male but androgynous (correct spelling) and can act either feminine or masculine. One example of this is after Eli mindmelds with Oskar, showing him very firmly that ze is not a girl, and ze then takes one of Oskar's mom's old dresses to change into instead of some of Oskar's clothes (ze got hir other clothes all bloody).

But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me.

Yes, nothing is associated with everything. In Harry Potter, for instance, a vanished object goes nowhere and thus becomes a part of everything. In Let the Right One In, Eli views hirself as "nothing" in hir depressed vampire way, but "nothing" can mean "anything" in a more hopeful outlook. At the end of the book, Oskar smuggles Eli onto a train by keeping hir in a big suitcase. When the ticket-taker questions what's inside it, he says "a little bit of everything".
That is the way I see the gender question: Eli is a magical creature, a "nothing" that can be everything, an everything most of all for Oskar. In the same way I think Eli represents freedom in this story. Eli is a very unfree victim of her curse. As the same time Eli is free to be all these different things.

I was really fascinated with the idea of Eli wearing Oskar's mother's dress, which is also done in the movie version. It is Oskar who says that Eli is starting to sound like his mother as well as look like her.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

Jessy7217

Post by Jessy7217 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:04 pm

Where can I find what he said, about his intentions for Eli?
Dragonclaws wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:08 am
The following is a post written for my blog. Considering it's about LTROI, based on several threads I've read here, and I mention some WTI users, I thought I'd crosspost:

For the past few weeks, I've been surfing the "We, the Infected" forums for Let the Right One In, and no topic seems to be as persistent as Eli's gender or possible lack thereof. While only briefly touched on in the Swedish film and blatantly ignored in the American remake Let Me In, the novel Let the Right One In plainly reveals the apparent vampire girl as an androgynous boy. People don't know what to make of this. The following is a summary of the information and points raised by users. Because Eli's gender identity is hard to ascertain, I will be using gender-neutral pronouns ze and hir.

The backstory of the Eli character is that ze was born a beautiful boy named Elias to a peasant family in the 1700s, and ze looked like a younger version of hir mother. There was an evil lord who liked young boys and ordered all the families to bring their boys to him so that he could pick his favorites. Elias was unlucky enough to be chosen. The lord castrated hir for his own sadistic pleasure, and then made Elias into a vampire. Elias was forced to abandon his family (although, the user bore posed the interesting theory that ze ended up eating them). By the time we meet hir in 1982, ze goes by Eli and apparently presents as female.

...It's not exactly clear if this is intentional. Eli is supposed to be very pretty anyway, so it could be that people just mistake hir as female and ze usually doesn't bother to correct them. Eli does notably say "I'm not a girl". However, when Oskar then asks if ze's male, ze says "No, no . . . I'm nothing. Not a child. Not old. Not a boy. Not a girl. Nothing".

So, Eli views hirself as outside all normal categories including gender. This might make hir genderqueer for the purpose of analysis from a modern LGBT perspective. Eli, in fact, never asserts a gender identity beyond stating what ze is not. In the original Swedish, the only gendered pronouns to describe Eli in the third-person narrative come from Oskar's perception of his friend's gender. A similar thing is done in the English version, but due to English's lack of gender-neutral pronouns, Eli is referred to as female outside of Oskar's perspective where it was otherwise neutral.

The book's author, John Ajvide Lindqvist, has posted on the "We, the Infected" forums a bit. In one post, he clears up some of his intentions with the Eli character:

I knew from the beginning that Eli was a boy. What happened when I let Eli meet Oskar was that Eli started to change his behaviour from what I had originally envisioned. I didn´t even know that they were going to fall in love. But I felt that Eli/Elias would try to appear more likeable in order to ge closer to Oskar, once he had decided not to kill him (The stroke on the cheek). Since Oskar percieves Eli as a girl, Eli is content with not informing him otherwise, although he can´t help himself on a few occasions. Eli doesn´t want to fool Oskar, he is uncertain if Oskar is going to leave him if the truth comes out

He adds:

Also, I tend to be interested in androgyneous (that word!) characters, and Eli was my first one. I wanted Eli to act as an in-between. Girlish sometimes, boyish sometimes. He can be anything, and he suprised me many times while writing the novel.

That's the novel. In the film, Eli is played by the very feminine Lina Leandersson, and all there is to show that Eli is androgynous is the line "I'm not a girl" and a brief shot of hir scarred crotch area. The line "I'm not a girl" isn't elaborated on, so the viewer can come to any conclusion as to its meaning, including "I'm a vampire" and "I'm an old woman". The crotch shot is very brief, and the fact that it's included at all is jarring, so it's easy to not understand the point of the shot. Oskar's only reaction to the glimpse is to widen his eyes, which could just be the reaction of a 12-year-old boy seeing his girlfriend's genitalia, and not 'OMG, my girlfriend's a castrated boy'. The film can easily be viewed without the viewer realizing there's anything unusual with Eli's gender. In fact, that's what happened with me. It took Internet browsing to learn Eli's not the cis girl ze appears.

In the forums, the user babyboi102909 has made the suggestion that book Eli is supposed to be a trans girl, that hir femininity and feminine presentation is evidence of a female gender identity. I am inclined to disagree due to the author's comments on the matter. Lindqvist likes androgyny, and Eli's femininity is just an expression of hir androgynous personality. However, the user Ingenting-ing has also made the interesting suggestion that film Eli can be thought of as a trans girl due to the actress' feminine portrayal. Having come from the perspective of initially viewing hir as a girl, I'm inclined to agree insofar as it's accepted as artistic reinterpretation and not the creators' intent.

The American remake Let Me In basically annihilates all queerness from the story. The line "I'm not a girl" is kept in, and Eli's American counterpart Abby elaborates that ze's "nothing" but doesn't touch gender. The crotch shot was removed, but Oskar's counterpart Owen is shown having a surprised reaction to peeking on Abby. Without the context, the only interpretation is that he's just surprised to see his girlfriend naked. A deleted scene shows Abby being attacked by hir sire, in which Abby appears feminine. Actress Chloe Moretz describes in an interview how director Matt Reeves had her write a diary from the perspective of the Abby character, and she wrote about Abby being turned by her creepy uncle. While unlikely to be canon, it shows a definite ignorance of the novel Let the Right One In. In an interview, Lindqvist complains that when he was consulted to shorten the title, "Let Her In" was the suggestion, showing that the androgyny of the Eli character was not well known by the American creators. Well, Matt Reeves does mention it in the audio commentary, but only in regard to how the peeking scene went in the Swedish version.

So, that's the low down on Eli and hir gender. In the novel, Eli came from the poor castrated boy Elias, and after which became a more androgynous person. In the film, Eli's background is only briefly brushed upon, and actress Lina Leandersson makes it easy enough to believe Eli is all girl if you aren't quick enough to catch the implications. In the American remake, Abby seems pretty clearly a cis girl. What exists as hints to Eli's true nature in the Swedish film are turned into what are more like references to the original film. Why, Eli truly is "a little bit of everything".

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:36 pm

Jessy7217 wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:04 pm
The post mentioned in the OP is "About Eli´s gender" (2010-09-22).

He's talked about the subject in other places over the years, like in various interviews and in his book Misslyckas igen, misslyckas bättre, but the above post is where he discussed it in the most detail.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

Jessy7217

Post by Jessy7217 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:02 pm

Siggdalos wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:36 pm
Jessy7217 wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:04 pm
The post mentioned in the OP is "About Eli´s gender" (2010-09-22).

He's talked about the subject in other places over the years, like in various interviews and in his book Misslyckas igen, misslyckas bättre, but the above post is where he discussed it in the most detail.
Thank.you.

Jessy7217

Post by Jessy7217 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:41 am

Taken from another forum. This was in response to my question of why they used she, regarding Eli, in their fanfic.

"Regarding your second thought: This fic is based solely on the content of the 2008 movie. Despite Eli telling Oskar "I'm not a girl" in the film, the backstory from the novel is never given, and they use she/her throughout the film. Keeping that intact for any fellow movie-only fans, this story also highlights Oskar's and Eli's other priorities, so one could infer that Eli has not had a good opportunity to tell Oskar this backstory yet...but that also was not a necessary element on my list of things to write/accomplish here. It is, as they say, a story for another time!"

I've watched the movie numerous times, and don't recall Eli being referred to as she, or her. Do any of you recall that?

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:06 pm

Off the top of my head, the only time in the film when Eli is referred to with a gendered pronoun in dialogue is when Virginia and Lacke are in the hospital and Virginia says: "Det där barnet ... Hon måste ha smittat mig." ("That child ... She must have infected me.")

I'm curious, though, what's the other forum you're referring to?
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

Jessy7217

Post by Jessy7217 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:52 pm

Siggdalos wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:06 pm
Off the top of my head, the only time in the film when Eli is referred to with a gendered pronoun in dialogue is when Virginia and Lacke are in the hospital and Virginia says: "Det där barnet ... Hon måste ha smittat mig." ("That child ... She must have infected me.")

I'm curious, though, what's the other forum you're referring to?
I'm watching it again, but am already past that part. I don't think.I ever noticed the subs saying she. When I watch it again, I'll see if I do. {edit} I'm just at that part, where Eli bites her.

{edit again} I forgot to pay close attention, so had to go back. I caught it. I'm thinking she is only said, because Eli looks like a girl, due to the clothes worn, and his hair.

I'll have to check.

{edit}

Archive Of Our Own.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”