Do you think Eli ate his family?

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
bore

Do you think Eli ate his family?

Post by bore » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:07 am

The Feminist Analysis in the Film-section has sort of turned into a discussion about Virginias suicide.

This post:
a_contemplative_life wrote:I think the poor woman just became seriously grossed out over what she'd become. She thinks about the birth of her grandson and finds her thoughts quickly preoccupied with recollections of the blood associated with the birth. It goes so far that:
She straightened up, lying down on her back on the bed. Continued to replay the images of the birth. How she had washed Ted, since Lena had been too weak, had lost a lot of blood. Yes. After Ted had come out it had run over the edge of the birthing bed and the nurses had been there with paper, masses of paper. Finally it had stopped of its own accord.

The heap of blood-drenched paper, the midwife's dark red hands. Her calm, her efficiency in spite of all... the blood. All that blood.

Thirsty.

Her mouth was sticky and she replayed the sequence a number of times, zooming in on everything that had been covered in blood; the midwife's hands to let my tongue glide over those hands, the blood-drenched paper on the floor, put them in my mouth, suck on them, between Lena's legs where the blood ran out in a thin rivulet, to . . .

She sat up abruptly, ran doubled-over to the bathroom and threw open the lid to the toilet, leaned her head over the bowl. Nothing came. Just dry, convulsive heaves. She leaned her forehead against the edge of the bowl. The images of the birth started to well up again.

Don'twantdon'twantdon'twantdon'twa-

I mean, that's seriously sick. She realized she'd never be able to think about her loved ones the same way again.
reminded my of something I tought about when I read page 311-312 in the Swedish "translation". Page 311 is the torture section interleaved with Elis memories of running towards his mother.
Then on page 312 Oskar asks what happened to the mother and Eli says that he doesn't know. When Oskar asks again Eli gets angry.

It makes sense to me that Eli after escaping would have tried to reunite with his family but since Eli is a child he probably had even less self control than Virginia and it could have taken him even longer to understand the hunger.
I think that the hunger caused Eli to kill her family and that those memories have been repressed.
The anger we see is because Eli still knows what happened and really "Don'twantdon'twantdon'twantdon'twa-" to put it in Virginias words.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Ash

Re: Do you think Eli ate his family?

Post by Ash » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:36 am

That's entirely possible bore. But a bit of a dead-end, because so little is revealed about Eli's past life.
Maybe Eli saved that information to share with Oskar at a later date.

Gracek

Post by Gracek » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:59 pm

Good theory and for me it is possible. Eli loved her mother, we saw it in the retrospections, but her hunger probably were stronger than her fellings.
When Oskar asks again Eli gets angry.
Extacly. She reacted as if she had something to hide. If she kill her family, then she probably realise that she can,t life in the society.

But I am just wondering, if they were her first victims, then...did she remember about protect them from the same curse as her? Or she didn,t know yet, that her bite will change them into monsters?

lombano

Post by lombano » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:04 pm

I think it would've been painful for Eli not to know what happened to his family. And sometimes a way of avoiding upsetting topics is to get angry, as a protection from grief. I see it as Oskar's questions being painful to Eli and he stops them with anger. There's any number of reasons why Eli might not have seen his family again - being kept prisoner, shame, fear of hurting them (Virginia figures this one out quickly enough), etc.
Bli mig lite.

intrige

Post by intrige » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:10 pm

Hey that was a nice idea for a FanFic :twisted: (It would be very hard but very exiting to explore all the emotions going through Eli's head if that had happend) O.o
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

God of Vampires

Post by God of Vampires » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:35 pm

intrige wrote:Hey that was a nice idea for a FanFic :twisted: (It would be very hard but very exiting to explore all the emotions going through Eli's head if that had happend) O.o
I was thinking the same thing ;) . This was exactly what I needed as a last triumph card for the antagonist for the final confrontation in my fanfiction :D . Some dark secret of Eli that she didn't even trust to Oskar.

I do not know if Eli did this, but it is possible, poor Eli :cry: .

This has given me an idea for my other fanfic I have been planning. Involving Eli's older brother becoming a vampire hunter after discovering his entire family has been murdered. He finds out that his younger brother Elias was sent to the castle a few days prior, finds out that the lord of the castle is a vampire and about Elias death. He decides that the lord has to die for him to avenge his family. In the end, he discovers that the one who killed his father and mother was actually his younger brother and he has to fight an inner battle between his feelings for his brother and his rage against the murderer. Does that sound like an intresting story? I think so at least :D .
"I think Eli, just as me, is a fan of multicoloured equines. You need this to get through an eternity of bloodshed."
_God of Vampires/Prince Darkmoon, Proud infected, proud brony.

thestich

Post by thestich » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:53 pm

I think this has been touched upon in some of the FF.

One I seem to remember is that one of the brothers was "fed" to Eli. As usual I may be misremembering, or actually thought that was a horrifying thing to do that the bast*rd that made Eli might do just as yet another form of torture.
While wandering here between posts and FF, I am gradually getting convinced, that I haven't seen anywhere more beautiful madness than on this forum. Clubmeister

bore

Post by bore » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:18 pm

lombano wrote:There's any number of reasons why Eli might not have seen his family again - being kept prisoner, shame, fear of hurting them (Virginia figures this one out quickly enough), etc.
The novel mentions a memory of running towards his mother. I interpreted that section as if Eli was trying to get back to his family directly after escaping from Mr. Wiggy "Pointyteeth" Blueeyes.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Gracek

Post by Gracek » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:05 pm

Does that sound like an intresting story?
All ideas (even simple one), are good if you know how to reveal them to the reader;). But I am just wondering, do you have all story in your mind, or only a sketch or something?

lombano

Post by lombano » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:54 pm

bore wrote:
lombano wrote:There's any number of reasons why Eli might not have seen his family again - being kept prisoner, shame, fear of hurting them (Virginia figures this one out quickly enough), etc.
The novel mentions a memory of running towards his mother. I interpreted that section as if Eli was trying to get back to his family directly after escaping from Mr. Wiggy "Pointyteeth" Blueeyes.
But this what Eli was thibnking during the castration, it's not implied it actually happened, and the feel is more symbolic. It would also contradict what Eli later says about not knwoing what happened to them - clearly Oskar must've interpreted that as not happening literally.
Bli mig lite.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”