About legal issues

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
johnajvide

About legal issues

Post by johnajvide » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:14 am

Hi, everyone;

John Ajvide Lindqvist here.
Through my publishers I got a question from Wolfchild regarding legal issues in regards to fan fiction, images and so on.
Just wanted to let you know that I´m fine and dandy with it. As long as no profit is made, and it´s clear that I am not the author, I just feel privileged that so many people feel the urge to expand on the story, make photographs or images. And that so much talent goes into this work!
I´ve seen some really good images, and although I haven´t read much of the fan fiction, I must confess that I was quite taken with "Once Bitten" by A contemplative life. The turning of Oskar where he had to be empied of his "normal" intestines in the toilet in order to become this new creature. I remember thinking that "Hmm. If I ever had wanted to write that particular scene, I probably would have written something very similar." The very practical, painful and slightly disgusting things you have to do in order to become "the other". Of course I never intend to write that scene, but I like the fact that somebody else did.
And, as always, thanks to Wolfchild who I understand actually reads everything in order to sort out things that he feels are distasteful or "wrong". I trust his judgement, and it´s admins like that who make a site worthwhile.
Like I said before, I´m amazed at the sheer mass of talent that goes into further dreamings around that story I wrote eight years ago. Some day in the future I will check out more of the fan fiction.
Until then: Dream on.

All the best

John

jonjon_z

Re: About legal issues

Post by jonjon_z » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:22 am

John Thank You so much for clearing that up I'm sure many of our artists and writers will breathe a big sigh of relief. It's been said you're a stand up guy and I do see that. ACL will be tickled to know you were as taken with "Once Bitten" as I was. I fully intend to purchase Paper Walls in English once it hits US shores.

My best to you and yours. :D
"Can we die?" "Of course we can." Eli put his hand on his heart, felt the slow beats. Maybe it was because he was a child. Maybe that was why he hadn't put an end to it. The pangs of conscience were weaker than his will to live.

ZWD40

Post by ZWD40 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:33 pm

hear that everybody? write on! :lol:
Thanks for supporting the passion of the fans, JAL
... she looks like a kid who has just been overindulgent with chocolate cake or a messy candy bar...
I could just picture Arnold planting a bloody kiss on Oskar telling him "I'll be back."

Pevalwen

Post by Pevalwen » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:13 pm

How nice- it's not every author that gets involved in fan communities like this; very considerate. Not only is it nice to see everyone's work is appreciated, but who better to appreciate it than Mr Lindqvist?

intrige

Post by intrige » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:16 pm

YES! Thank you John! It's so nice to hear from you! Big fan big fan XD And I also like Once bitten very much too. Now I know Covenant is going to be VERY happy! XD And as I just pointed out, I am too. :D

Thanks for the post!
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

abner_mohl

Post by abner_mohl » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:18 pm

Mr. Lindqvist, you are the best. Thank you for reaching out to your fans like you do, and I look forward to reading more of your work as soon as they are translated here in the US.

moonvibe34

Post by moonvibe34 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:44 pm

Yes, thanks John. You are the best! Your approval certainly matters.
"But dreams come through stone walls, light up dark rooms, or darken light ones, and their persons make their exits and their entrances as they please, and laugh at locksmiths."
Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu

crazychristina

Post by crazychristina » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:24 pm

Great news, thank you John. And for the inspiration of course :D

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:52 pm

I sense a collective sigh of relief from the assembled masses. (Especially me!) :D

Seriously, though, one can only view this as a testament to John's power to create a story involving characters who are deeply moving to the members of this forum, and undoubtedly to many others as well who have read the novel or seen the film adaptation. Our hats are off to you, sir.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”