Another seasons greetings

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
rgh

Re: Another seasons greetings

Post by rgh » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:51 am

N.R. Gasan wrote:I'm just thinking out loud here, but I'm wondering: English is spoken much more widely around the world than probably any other language. In fact, English is probably closer to a universal language than any other in history. That being the case, and since John Lindqvist speaks and writes excellent English, I'm wondering if at some point -- as he gains a worldwide audience -- if the author might benefit from writing his books in English rather than his native Swedish. It seems to me that his books would get a wider circulation more quickly if that were the case. Any thoughts?
Well, it would certainly benefit those of us that don't speak Swedish! And I'm certain that he and the publishing co. would be well rewarded by sales.

StefL

Post by StefL » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:46 pm

N.R. Gasan wrote:I'm just thinking out loud here, but I'm wondering: English is spoken much more widely around the world than probably any other language. In fact, English is probably closer to a universal language than any other in history. That being the case, and since John Lindqvist speaks and writes excellent English, I'm wondering if at some point -- as he gains a worldwide audience -- if the author might benefit from writing his books in English rather than his native Swedish. It seems to me that his books would get a wider circulation more quickly if that were the case. Any thoughts?
Even if most Swedes - myself included - have a fair command of the Queen's it's something totally else to write literature in a language different from your native one. I still think the quality of JALs books would benefit from having him write them in Swedish and then have them translated by professional translators into whatever language they may be published in.

covenant6452

Post by covenant6452 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:24 pm

I agree, and think he is doing just fantastically as he is, as are the people translating his works into English. It would become more difficult to make the magic attempting to write his tales in anything other than Svenska. Something would probably be lost in the lyrics or tone.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, I can always wait for a proper translation.
Du måste bjuda in mig...or else!

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:55 am

Happy New Year from Covenant and drakkar! :D

For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

jonjon_z

Post by jonjon_z » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:41 am

Gott Nytt År 2011! :D
"Can we die?" "Of course we can." Eli put his hand on his heart, felt the slow beats. Maybe it was because he was a child. Maybe that was why he hadn't put an end to it. The pangs of conscience were weaker than his will to live.

ZWD40

Post by ZWD40 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:15 pm

happy new years guys

drakkar, cool pic!
... she looks like a kid who has just been overindulgent with chocolate cake or a messy candy bar...
I could just picture Arnold planting a bloody kiss on Oskar telling him "I'll be back."

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:47 pm

Thanks, it was my party guests who lined up and made this greeting just after midnight. Exposure time 1.3 sec with my Pentax handheld.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

waggy05

Post by waggy05 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:32 pm

it's just wonderful that my absolute favorite author interacts with his loyal fan base like this. anyway, thanks for the update johnajvide & happy holidays as well. being an english language fan, I have only just begun my journey into the realm of JAL. for me it started with Let The Right One In, then naturally HtU, now I'm right in the middle of Harbour... and so it seems as though I have A LOT to look forward to! I will be anxiously waiting the english translation of Lilla Stjärna and Pappersväggar. and now I have even more to add to that list with ”Tjärven” & "X". sounds like the wait for the latter will be a long time, especially for me. but it has me very intrigued and maybe I will have enough time to learn Swedish before its release.

Stangarlins

Post by Stangarlins » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:41 pm

covenant6452 wrote:Something would probably be lost in the lyrics or tone.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, I can always wait for a proper translation.
I agree, because, if we stop to think about it for a while, even though we are all able to read and write in english without any problems, english is not the mother language for us all in here. Aside from myself I've seen people from other countries as well, and, in my oppinion, there is nothing like your mother language, haha. And I think John would agree with me on this one, that's one of th motives why he chooses to write in Sweedish.

Keep the magic going the way it is, John! :D

El Defenestrator

Post by El Defenestrator » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:18 pm

I'm late to the party (my attempt at being fashionably so clearly went awry), but happy new year!
Once more, to the fire
Burn your fingers on your desire

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”