Blackeberg pictures in context

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
drakkar

Re: Blackeberg pictures in context

Post by drakkar » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:00 am

It is one if the candidates. There are several trees around the jungle gym, so it's hard to tell.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Bloody Mary

Post by Bloody Mary » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:49 pm

a_contemplative_life wrote:
Bloody Mary wrote:http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalexanderson/4232887103/

Blackeberg in winter....I think I found the jungle gym!

I get a weird feeling of awe from looking at these. Like...."ooohh I see Oskar and Eli's apartment building!! Oh my god maybe I'm looking at their windows!!!!" I have to keep telling myself that vampires aren't real.
Is that the stabbing tree?
Maybe. Let's all take a trip to this place and build a shrine. Like with Rubik's cubes.
"Do not go gentle into that good night . . . Rage, rage against the dying of the light." -Dylan Thomas

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:26 am

Bloody Mary wrote:Maybe. Let's all take a trip to this place and build a shrine. Like with Rubik's cubes.
We already did! :mrgreen: :lol:

IMGP0506 by drakkar2010, on Flickr
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Bloody Mary

Post by Bloody Mary » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:57 pm

drakkar wrote:
Bloody Mary wrote:Maybe. Let's all take a trip to this place and build a shrine. Like with Rubik's cubes.
We already did! :mrgreen: :lol:

IMGP0506 by drakkar2010, on Flickr
You did?! And I missed it! Why do I have to be late to the party??
"Do not go gentle into that good night . . . Rage, rage against the dying of the light." -Dylan Thomas

Child_Of_The_Corn

Post by Child_Of_The_Corn » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:58 pm

WOW :shock: .. that was incredible. Thank you drakkar for the wonderful pictures. Seeing the real life locations with passages from the book just adds a whole other level to the story.
“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. Only I will remain.”

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:33 am

Child_Of_The_Corn wrote:WOW :shock: .. that was incredible. Thank you drakkar for the wonderful pictures. Seeing the real life locations with passages from the book just adds a whole other level to the story.
LTROI fans will find lots of little jewels around here if they dig a bit. ;)

Child_Of_The_Corn

Post by Child_Of_The_Corn » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:29 am

I am very much beginning to see that. It's 4+ years of content to dig through. It looks like my infection will be well fed for awhile :lol:
“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. Only I will remain.”

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:23 am

Thanks. :) It's truly amazing how precisely the descriptions in the novel fits real life Blackeberg. I think that adds greatly to the story. People keep saying that an author should put something of his true self in the books he writes, in order to get them good, and this novel is an excellent example of that.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

broken1

Post by broken1 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:08 am

I have to chime in as well to say "thank you", from the bottom of my heart. What you have done here, I simply can't find the words to describe how wonderful it truly is. To actually get to see the real places this story took place in JAL's mind is a rather unique thing.

What I find striking is just how much more powerful the "innocence" factor of Eli/Oskar would have been on screen had they used the real location of the jungle gym as opposed to the one used in the movie. Now, I get the rather 'barren/isolated, but not/almost otherworldly' feel of the courtyard in the movie. I get what TA was going for, to say something visually that dialogue can't, as well as set the entire tone of the film. But, damn!!!! The actual innocence of the real courtyard juxtaposed over that scene? Could've been even better.

Sorry for my interjection. Again, thank you so much for letting me see what JAL saw.

Forever grateful,

SS
"The only thing we'll have to fear, is the dawn as the night turns to day..."
-----"Stay" by Jeremey Hunsicker

"An open mind and an open heart are at once both the strongest and weakest qualities a person can have."
- Me

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:50 am

In the DVD comments - you can read both the Swedish (translated) and the English one here http://let-the-right-one-in.com/woofy/ - TA talkes about the jungle gym being constructed to visually fit into the film format and Hoyte van Hoytema's cinematography. Watch their second meeting, where Oskar hands over the cube - pure magic.

The playground in the novel refers to the playground actually existing outside Oskar's/John's apartment today, and I agree - being a real playground/courtyard adds immense power to the story just by standing in it. I've said this before - another striking factor is the short distances the story unfolds within, The LTROI universe is so tiny, and this also adds greatly to the feel of innocense embedded in the horror of the story.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”