Blackeberg pictures in context

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
SFTifoso

Re: Blackeberg pictures in context

Post by SFTifoso » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:04 pm

Awesome thread. So, the buildings where Eli, Oskar, and Tommy, lived are conjoined, but each with it's separate entrance? Also, what would the shelter/basement of one of these buildings look like? More specifically the room where Eli locks Hakan in with Tommy.
"It doesn't get easier, you just go faster" - Greg Lemond (cycling legend)

metoo

Post by metoo » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:03 pm

SFTifoso wrote:Awesome thread. So, the buildings where Eli, Oskar, and Tommy, lived are conjoined, but each with it's separate entrance? Also, what would the shelter/basement of one of these buildings look like? More specifically the room where Eli locks Hakan in with Tommy.
Concrete walls and ceiling, plastered and painted white. Raw concrete floor.

Like the pictures in this posting.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

metoo

Post by metoo » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:03 am

Here's a new ad for an apartment at Ibsengatan in Blackeberg. This time it's one that is similar to Oskar's: http://www.lagenhetsbyte.se/annonser/by ... sid=207014

This apartment is in a different house, outside the courtyard. It is, however, a mirror image of the one Oskar habitates in the novel.

It seems my guess at the layout was rather accurate. One thing missing in my plan is a door between the bedroom and the living room, this door is visible behind the set of wire drawers in the second bedroom picture.

Another missing item is the wall of built-in cupboards in the bedroom. (I actually imagined these when I made the plan, but was too lazy to add them...) These cupboards are the only storage for clothes in the apartment, and that is the reason why Eli is able to find one of Oskar's mum's dresses in the wardrobe in Oskar's room.

Since three decades have passed, some things have changed. Most notably the bath room is renovated, and the fronts of the kitchen cupboards are replaced. These would have been plain in Oskar's time, similar to those in the bedroom.
Last edited by metoo on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

intrige

Post by intrige » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:51 am

I still imagine Oskar sitting there with his mom in the kitchen, In real life woah!! :o 8-)
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:11 am

If I'm not mistaken, in real life his mother IS sitting in the kitchen still. ;)
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Opeth

Post by Opeth » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:32 pm

Wow very similar layout! Your basement seems very close to Oskar's too seeing as how it was built in the 50s. Close to how I imagined it as well when reading. :)

MyEli10

Post by MyEli10 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:19 am

Wow this is fantastic! Cant believe just saw this now! Great job drakkar, this must have taken forever
to put together! Am definitely going there one day!
"Please, Please don't be afraid of me now that you know what I am."

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:56 am

Not that much time, I knew the story in advance ( :mrgreen: ) and knew what to look for. The most difficult to find was the tree Håkan was using when getting rid of Jocke's body. The distances are generally short, you'll cover most of the locatins in a few minutes. That actually did something to my understanding of the story, how "tiny" everything was. For example the distance between the underpass Eli kills Jocke and the place he attacks Virginia is less than 100 m.
You should definitely go to Blackeberg, it's a nice place. :)
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Bloody Mary

Post by Bloody Mary » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:29 am

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalexanderson/4232887103/

Blackeberg in winter....I think I found the jungle gym!

I get a weird feeling of awe from looking at these. Like...."ooohh I see Oskar and Eli's apartment building!! Oh my god maybe I'm looking at their windows!!!!" I have to keep telling myself that vampires aren't real.
"Do not go gentle into that good night . . . Rage, rage against the dying of the light." -Dylan Thomas

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:36 am

Bloody Mary wrote:http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalexanderson/4232887103/

Blackeberg in winter....I think I found the jungle gym!

I get a weird feeling of awe from looking at these. Like...."ooohh I see Oskar and Eli's apartment building!! Oh my god maybe I'm looking at their windows!!!!" I have to keep telling myself that vampires aren't real.
Is that the stabbing tree?

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”