Blackeberg pictures in context

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
dongregg

Re: Blackeberg pictures in context

Post by dongregg » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:57 pm

drakkar wrote:
metoo wrote:I should have added that in Swedish, it's centrum.
Yes, this is Blackeberg spelling. :mrgreen:

Yes, and since I'm studying Swedish, that's good to know. The Swedish authors of the article were writing in English, and I'm sure they didn't intend to send English-speaking readers down a false path.

That aside, can you add anything else--like personal experience--to what the article presented? I'm wild to know everything about the Blackeberg setting and how well TA managed to recreate it. I'm aware that there is a newer car in the scene where Oskar is walking home with his wet trousers in a plastic bag, but I'm sure that most of us think the rest is true to 1981.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

metoo

Post by metoo » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:40 pm

dongregg wrote:That aside, can you add anything else--like personal experience--to what the article presented? I'm wild to know everything about the Blackeberg setting and how well TA managed to recreate it. I'm aware that there is a newer car in the scene where Oskar is walking home with his wet trousers in a plastic bag, but I'm sure that most of us think the rest is true to 1981.
Well, having studied to become an architect, I have of course met the term ABC-stad before. However, I have never lived in one, I grew up in a suburban area with single family houses. I haven't read the article yet, but I might do it later. I might also check my old student literature, to see if I can find anything there. But all of that will have to wait until tomorrow, it's soon time for bed for me.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:58 pm

metoo wrote:
dongregg wrote:That aside, can you add anything else--like personal experience--to what the article presented? I'm wild to know everything about the Blackeberg setting and how well TA managed to recreate it. I'm aware that there is a newer car in the scene where Oskar is walking home with his wet trousers in a plastic bag, but I'm sure that most of us think the rest is true to 1981.
Well, having studied to become an architect, I have of course met the term ABC-stad before. However, I have never lived in one, I grew up in a suburban area with single family houses. I haven't read the article yet, but I might do it later. I might also check my old student literature, to see if I can find anything there. But all of that will have to wait until tomorrow, it's soon time for bed for me.
Good deal. I know you will love the article, and any light you can throw on 1981 Blackeberg will great.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:01 pm

I think TA managed very well in capturing the gist from Blackeberg, as I imagine it. The 2010 and 2012 versions of Blackeberg are very different from Johns 1981 model, nowadays it is a quite popular place. I found it peaceful and appealing without any apparent problems, so one can only guess how it was like.
TA shot several key scenes from the Blackeberg and Råcksta (those without snow), and he also altered some of the Luleå scenes (i.e. adding high rise buildings behind Eli vomiting the candy) to maintain the Blackeberg gist. One huge difference is the poolhouse, being large in the film, and oh so tiny in Blackeberg.
dongregg wrote:'m aware that there is a newer car in the scene where Oskar is walking home with his wet trousers in a plastic bag,
I believe someone spotted some books in Oskar's book shelf being published slightly after 1981.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

metoo

Post by metoo » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:30 pm

Happened to find a video today on youtube, showing an apartment on Ibsengatan in Blackeberg that is for sale. As far I can tell, this apartment has exactly the same layout as the one Oskar was supposed to live in. It is situated in the house across Ibsengatan relative to the one where "Oskar lived".
Last edited by metoo on Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:44 pm

Thanks. The view from the balcony is towards Oskar's wood of revenge fantasies- more or less. :mrgreen:
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Phobos

Post by Phobos » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:59 pm

Is there a chance that drakkar´s Fotos will be reposted on Flickr?
I´m very interrested in seeing them.

Sadly, i joined WTI too late, so i can´t see the Photos anymore.
Liberate me ex damnatio

metoo

Post by metoo » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:02 pm

Apparently the pictures were lost when drakkar cleaned up amongst his web services. As I understand it, they are truly lost.

Phobos

Post by Phobos » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:27 am

That's too bad. I'm really interested in how Blackeberg looks nowadays, especially in comperance with german "problem" towns, as i think that sweden has much higher standard of living.
Liberate me ex damnatio

metoo

Post by metoo » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:20 pm

You can have a look for yourself via Google StreetView.

Here is a view towards "Oskar's house", with the entrance to the courtyard: https://goo.gl/maps/fJBdKzFo5bA2
The second balcony on the first floor (the one with the parabola) would belong to "Eli's apartment", and the next one (behind the tree) would belong to "Oskar's apartment".
Last edited by metoo on Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”