The Vampire Season

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
gattoparde59

The Vampire Season

Post by gattoparde59 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:31 pm

I was thinking about writing this but I was uncertain about whether the subject had been dealt with earlier. Seeing various odd comments trying to account for Eli’s behavior and more importantly Eli’s strength, I thought I would give my interpretation of what goes on with Eli’s life as a vampire. If you wrote something or have a fan fiction dealing with this, please tell me about it.

This is all based on Eli’s revelation to Oskar that he is over 200 years old. We learn that Eli sleeps for several months out of the year and then wakes up in a weakened state.
“I mean there are months at a time when I don’t . . . get up at all. And then a few months when I . . . live.”
Eli says that when he awakes from his long sleep he is “little again” and “weak” and needs help. By “help” he means someone like Håkan. We learn early on that Håkan had predecessors.

In what part of the year would Eli be sleeping? One part of the novel that did not make it into the film version is the changing of the seasons. The novel meticulously gives us dates and times for the narrative. We begin in the fall on October 18. The film starts in the dead of winter, but in the book the weather is still fall-like. When the book ends, winter is well under way. I am filling in the blanks here, but I am going to say that Eli’s dormant period would be the spring and summer. The days grow longer in the spring and summer, especially in countries close to the artic circle. Not a good time for a vampire trying to avoid the sun. As fall arrives, the days get shorter and there is more darkness. Winter is the season for vampires. Eli emerges from his long (six months maybe) sleep and needs some help. We have a rough idea how long Håkan has been with Eli because he mentions two previous murders. That would place his active employment as Eli’s servant beginning in the fall.

This human element in Eli’s vampire life is one that really does defy logic. How are you going to find a reliable servant on skid row? How are you going to find someone like Håkan to whom you are going to entrust your life? The only way I can see this working is if Eli has some unspecified supernatural ability. Eli would need “glamour” to seduce or delude someone enough to have a reliable servant, much like Dracula does with Renfeld. Then it would make more sense, although I still can’t see Eli surviving 200 years with these dodgy arrangements. Eli would not only need a serial killer, but also a guardian to protect his hiding place while he is sleeping.

As the story begins, Eli has recently emerged from his long sleep and being weak he can not kill for himself, at least not kill and “turn off” his victims the way he wants to, so Håkan needs to be engaged to do the dirty work and in this scene he balks:
“I’ll die”
“Then die”
“Do you mean that?”
“No. I don’t. But you could do it yourself.”
“I’m still too weak.”
“You’re not weak.”
“Too weak for-that.”
During this period I believe Eli is actually regaining his strength and after enough feedings will be the supernaturally powerful vampire discussed in other threads. Arguing with Håkan, Eli says that he is uncertain whether he is strong enough to kill. This part of the story gives a much more sinister meaning to the early meetings between Eli and Oskar. The Rubik’s cube, the shower that Eli takes, these are all devices used to get closer to Oskar so that Eli can kill him. Oskar is intended to be Eli’s first take-down of the season. Oskar makes a good candidate for this honor because he is young, naïve and weak. Oskar is also small, so it will be easier for the body to be disposed of. Happily, things don’t turn out the way Eli intended. :)

Eli instead kills Jocke, and discovers that he is indeed strong enough to kill a grown man. I think Håkan is sent out to dispose of the body because that would be too risky for Eli. The whole idea is to conceal Eli’s existence as a vampire, even if Håkan is not happy with his “work.” Notice all the grumbling about how heavy the body is.

As winter progresses and Eli feeds repeatedly he regains his vampire powers that are detailed in the novel. His flying, his claws etc. The season changes from fall into winter. As the world becomes more lifeless, Eli is able to resume his perverse life as a vampire. Eli has his “starving times,” and that unpleasantness about being invited in, but overall the sense I get is steady progress towards the powerful vampire that swoops into the swimming pool at the end of the novel.

At least, that is how I have imagined it. ;)

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

moonvibe34

Re: The Vampire Season

Post by moonvibe34 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:07 pm

I think that's a pretty good take on things. Hibernation during the summer to avoid those long days makes sense to me. (If a vampire is going to hibernate ) I feel her abilities would require a few feedings in order to return to normal after awaking from hibernation.
I do think Eli has some type of "glamour." She seemed to use it on the old woman and I always got the impression she was attempting to use it on Oskar during the passage you referenced but thankfully it didn't work. (Stroking her cheek broke her concentration :) )
Again, I think you've written some interesting observations.
"But dreams come through stone walls, light up dark rooms, or darken light ones, and their persons make their exits and their entrances as they please, and laugh at locksmiths."
Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu

darman1817

Post by darman1817 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:16 am

Hmm, I never made any connection between the hibernation and the seasons, but it definitely makes sense for the vampire to sleep during the long sunny days near the arctic circle. And it also helps to explain the immunity to the cold, since winter is the vampire's "season".
That Eli has a powerful glamour could also explain why she appeared beautiful to Hakan when she first approached him. It would seem to me that having just come out of hibernation Eli would be gray haired and shriveled the way Oskars notices that she looks when she has gone too long without feeding. Unless maybe Eli had fed, perhaps on the hapless "helper" who had guarded her during the last hibernation :twisted:

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:36 am

I like this take on things. I hadn't considered that Eli's hibernation might be linked to the seasons of the year (because Eli never said it was, I guess), but that might make sense for the reasons you've mentioned.

The business of whether Eli was genuinely "weak" in the novel after her hibernation is intriguing. Some folks believe that she was not telling Hakan the truth, but I'm not so sure. She took a very passive approach to killing Jocke--lying in the leaves in a darkened underpass, waiting for a sympathetic person to come along. I suspect Eli viewed this tactic as much more risky to her than actively prowling around because she could not control who would come along, or how many, or what their reaction to her might be. I think this presents an interesting contrast to how she hunts later in the story (e.g., just before she settles in a tree to pounce on Virginia); here we see her actively stalking. Of course, she did have the strength to overcome Jocke, but notice how she let him pick her up and actually hold her in his arms before she struck. Once he did that, she literally 'couldn't miss.' So I think her whole hunting strategy in this instance is consistent with her being weakened from a long sleep.

darman1817

Post by darman1817 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:52 am

Another consequence of vampires awaking from hibernation in a weakened state in the fall could be new "baby" vampires. Ordinarilly Eli and presumably most other vampires would "turn off" their victims by breaking the neck. But a victim would be much more likely to escape from a severely weakened vampire and then become a vampire himself. Thus most vampires would be "born" in the fall which is the vampire's perverted spring.
This could also help explain Eli surviving for 200 years despite the weakening of the hibernations, if the reality is that she is not too weak to kill but just too weak to kill properly. Without a helper Eli would just do her best, and when someone did get turned the locals would be too busy dealing with the new vampire to notice the little girl quietly slipping away.

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:40 pm

a_contemplative_life wrote:The business of whether Eli was genuinely "weak" in the novel after her hibernation is intriguing. Some folks believe that she was not telling Hakan the truth, but I'm not so sure. She took a very passive approach to killing Jocke--lying in the leaves in a darkened underpass, waiting for a sympathetic person to come along.
That also gives us glimpse at just how loathsome Eli can be. I think Oskar is a premeditated target because he is little and naive. There is a huge difference between the book and the movie version of this. In the movie Eli is clearly conflicted about attacking Oskar when she finds him playing with his cube. It is really painful to watch. "Get away from me you stupid kid!" In the book, Eli's attitude is "come closer little one. Do you want to give me a present? Mawh hah hah hah!"

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:40 pm

a_contemplative_life wrote:The business of whether Eli was genuinely "weak" in the novel after her hibernation is intriguing. Some folks believe that she was not telling Hakan the truth, but I'm not so sure. She took a very passive approach to killing Jocke--lying in the leaves in a darkened underpass, waiting for a sympathetic person to come along. I suspect Eli viewed this tactic as much more risky to her than actively prowling around because she could not control who would come along, or how many, or what their reaction to her might be. I think this presents an interesting contrast to how she hunts later in the story (e.g., just before she settles in a tree to pounce on Virginia); here we see her actively stalking. Of course, she did have the strength to overcome Jocke, but notice how she let him pick her up and actually hold her in his arms before she struck. Once he did that, she literally 'couldn't miss.' So I think her whole hunting strategy in this instance is consistent with her being weakened from a long sleep.
I got problems with this passage as well. Eli is strong enough to break two of Jocke's ribs just by squeezing him slowly. And she easily breaks his neck afterwards. I see no reason Eli should be too weak to just jump on Jocke at will.
gattoparde59 wrote:That also gives us glimpse at just how loathsome Eli can be. I think Oskar is a premeditated target because he is little and naive. There is a huge difference between the book and the movie version of this. In the movie Eli is clearly conflicted about attacking Oskar when she finds him playing with his cube. It is really painful to watch. "Get away from me you stupid kid!" In the book, Eli's attitude is "come closer little one. Do you want to give me a present? Mawh hah hah hah!"

In the book, yes. Eli even made an appointment with Oskar when she borrowed the cube. Then she went home solving it, preparing for the kill by taking a shower and change clothes - no funny smell should come in between her and her prey. This is ice cold hunting by an Eli who doesn't view humans in any other way than prey or as someone you could barter with helping you get closer to the prey.
The film? I don't find it obvious that Oskar was a premeditated victim. But as it was, at the jungle gym, I think he might have been killed there as well. If he had behaved a little differently towards her.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

lombano

Post by lombano » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:59 am

drakkar wrote:
a_contemplative_life wrote:The business of whether Eli was genuinely "weak" in the novel after her hibernation is intriguing. Some folks believe that she was not telling Hakan the truth, but I'm not so sure. She took a very passive approach to killing Jocke--lying in the leaves in a darkened underpass, waiting for a sympathetic person to come along. I suspect Eli viewed this tactic as much more risky to her than actively prowling around because she could not control who would come along, or how many, or what their reaction to her might be. I think this presents an interesting contrast to how she hunts later in the story (e.g., just before she settles in a tree to pounce on Virginia); here we see her actively stalking. Of course, she did have the strength to overcome Jocke, but notice how she let him pick her up and actually hold her in his arms before she struck. Once he did that, she literally 'couldn't miss.' So I think her whole hunting strategy in this instance is consistent with her being weakened from a long sleep.
I got problems with this passage as well. Eli is strong enough to break two of Jocke's ribs just by squeezing him slowly. And she easily breaks his neck afterwards. I see no reason Eli should be too weak to just jump on Jocke at will.
But why go to the trouble? Letting Jocke carry her gave her convenient access to his neck, after all.
Bli mig lite.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”