moped carrier/delivery moped

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
editrice

moped carrier/delivery moped

Post by editrice » Mon May 17, 2010 1:16 pm

Hi all,

A quick question from John's editor: I'm being interviewed for a radio show where they want to discuss the translation of Swedish "flakmoppe" in different languages - i.e., a moped for driving goods. It's been translated in English as moped carrier, delivery moped an moped trailer. Are these words you'd know and use, or were they created by the translator?

Thanks for your thoughts
Editrice

covenant6452

Re: moped carrier/delivery moped

Post by covenant6452 » Mon May 17, 2010 1:24 pm

Hello again, editrice!
If it is a moped with two wheels, generally it is just called a moped. If it is one with three wheels and has a body built on it, the only word I can think of to describe that would be a "trike", from "triciycle".
Du måste bjuda in mig...or else!

jellmoo

Post by jellmoo » Mon May 17, 2010 1:41 pm

Those wouldn't be terms used commonly in Montreal, but wouldn't be too hard to decipher. Moped carrier would likely be the easiest, and moped trailer would lead me to imagine a small box or side car attached to the moped to carry items.

That being said, mopeds are fairly rare around here. Most courriers use bicycles or small cars. Occasionally a scooter, but that is almost as rare as a moped would be.

My first inclination would be to say "Moped Courrier", but that would be far from an official term for such a thing.
---
At one point, we have all been both the monster and the victim.
Time will tell for which you will be remembered.

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Mon May 17, 2010 5:42 pm

Hi,

in Norwegian the term is "varemoped", I think. I've also seen "flakmoped" used, and every soul would understand "flakmoppe".

In LdRKI, "flaket" is translated to "lasteplanet".
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Aurora

Post by Aurora » Mon May 17, 2010 7:22 pm

Sorry can't help you, there's nothing like that here in UK.

Edited after reading Stefl's post.
Last edited by Aurora on Tue May 18, 2010 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Team Eli

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Mon May 17, 2010 7:41 pm

Here in the U.S. we have mopeds, but I've never seen one with a delivery rack or trailer. If, however, the idea is something being pulled behind a moped, we'd probably just call it a moped trailer.

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Tue May 18, 2010 2:34 am

There seems to be some confusion about whether this thing has a basket, or a rack, or pulls a trailer. Can you provide a pic?

BTW: I will probably be moving this thread to the Off Topic section. Just wanted to give you a little warning before it disappears in the sea of posts. ;)
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

N.R. Gasan

Post by N.R. Gasan » Tue May 18, 2010 2:57 am

a_contemplative_life wrote:Here in the U.S. we have mopeds, but I've never seen one with a delivery rack or trailer.
I also have never seen a moped used for a commercial purpose. Honestly, here in the U.S., I doubt if anyone would even make a distinction. People would probably call a delivery moped just "a moped," or maybe "a moped used for deliveries."

StefL

Post by StefL » Tue May 18, 2010 6:43 am

If you haven't seen a picture, you need to know that the vehicle in question has two wheels in the front and one in the rear. The loading rack is in the front and the driver sits behind it. The motor - on a moped a 50cc engine - drives the rear wheel.
I've been trying to upload a few pictures to my personal webpage and link to them but I can't make the SFTP client work from the office. So instead just have a look at the pictures available at http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flakmoped
Flakmopeds are widely used on islands in the Swedish archipelagoes since they are able to transport goods better than regular mopeds or bicycles, and it is also mostly unnecessary to make the effort of getting cars out to an island where your longest transport may be less than a kilometer.

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Tue May 18, 2010 2:53 pm

OK, after seeing the pic from StefL's post, I have to say that nothing like that is used in the US.

It is therefore likely to be called, "What is that damned thing?". :D
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”