I'm impressed!

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
covenant6452

Re: I'm impressed!

Post by covenant6452 » Thu May 06, 2010 6:06 pm

Kokosbollar? Well then, I'll bite the bullet for the sake of Sweden and... :shock: eat coconut. :lol: ("Love the taste, it's the consistency I don't like.")
And herring, gotta have some herring as well. Not at the same time though. :think:
At one point or another over the weekend I think we will have raised a pint or two for all those involved.
Thank you for your help, editrice!
Du måste bjuda in mig...or else!

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Fri May 07, 2010 7:10 am

covenant6452 wrote:Kokosbollar? Well then, I'll bite the bullet for the sake of Sweden and... eat coconut. ("Love the taste, it's the consistency I don't like.")
And herring, gotta have some herring as well. Not at the same time though.
Then I'll help you.
A friend from Östersund teached me how to make "Gubbröra" (old man's mess :lol: ), a herring dish so easy to make that men can do it. Interested? :mrgreen:
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

covenant6452

Post by covenant6452 » Fri May 07, 2010 3:46 pm

Gubbröra?
I've been trying to figure the pronunciation of that for an hour now. Goo-brrr-err-ah?
Well, the chef (hopefully ex-chef) in me will try anything. Bugs, brains, probably even that bile-a-hol that native tribe makes, I'll down it.
The little boy in me who still won't eat Brussel sprouts, though, is shivering!
(True story...
My Danish grandma, who lived with us in Canada for a number of years when I was a child, was taking care of my little sister and myself when I was about 10 years old as both my parents had some away time, not together as they had divorced by this time, but at the same time...and not in prison if that's what you were thinking by "away time".
Grandma lived with my dad, (who, as I said, was away) and made us dinner there one night.
Frikadela, one of my all time favourites. My mom got the recipe from her...for the meat, but not for the vinegary gravy grandma made, so while they are still good when mom makes 'em, they are not the same as grandma's.
So, anyways, she makes the meal, with the entire panoply of Christmas dinner veg; carrot-turnip mash, :cry :...yams, :| ...and Brussel sprouts.
My lifelong Nemesis'. Nemesis's? Nemesi? Plural anyhow.
I refused to eat them.
It was July...it wasn't Christmas, there were no presents for anyone to threaten withholdure of.
(I would always have to force one down at Christmas, gagging while Schnapps-drinking adults laughed at this peculiar torture, then I would sulk and pick at the rest of the meal, rolling a couple under the couch when noone was looking.)
Grandma said I couldn't leave the table until I had eaten all of them.
They wouldn't fit under the oven and stood out on the linoleum.
I remember my 4 year old sister kicking me under the table and whispering at me exaggeratedly (?) to eat them.
I think I fell asleep at the table that night.
And, no lie, I wasn't allowed to eat for three days. At least grandma didn't provide food for three days, I just took what I wanted from the cupboards when she wasn't looking (She knew, I'm sure, she treated me like gold all the rest of the time she was alive. She sarcastically called me her "perfect boy" all the time). But the plate with the brussel sprouts wrapped in Saran-wrap was presented to me at the three meals of the day for three days until my dad, and not-so-evil-step-mother got back.(Step-mom fed me hot-dogs right away.)
I can remember my dad laughing his ass off in the front room when she told him all about it.
But I still got the belt...
Frickin' Brussels and their stupid frickin' vegetable inventions!
True story.)

StefL

Post by StefL » Fri May 07, 2010 8:50 pm

Well, gubbe means old man. Röra is mess or mix. Save the pronounciation for a month and I'll teach you...
Makes gubbröra - old man's mix (of chopped anjovies, boiled eggs and onion). Preferably served as a late night supé with beer and vodka. Rest assured you'll have a chance to try it - as well as other herring varieties. And when in my kitchen - you'll eat what is served to you! :D

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Fri May 07, 2010 9:18 pm

Please please please don't serve us surströmming! :P
- Karl Ove Knausgård

StefL

Post by StefL » Sat May 08, 2010 6:35 pm

drakkar wrote:Please please please don't serve us surströmming! :P
Don't tempt me or I just might - there's a can of it sitting on the top shelf in the fridge just waiting to be opened 8-)

covenant6452

Post by covenant6452 » Sat May 08, 2010 6:43 pm

drakkar wrote:Please please please don't serve us surströmming! :P
Is that the herring that makes the cans puff out as it ferments on the shelf?
Sounds Scrumptious!!!

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Sat May 08, 2010 8:00 pm

covenant6452 wrote: Is that the herring that makes the cans puff out as it ferments on the shelf?
Sounds Scrumptious!!!
Yes. It tastes good, but the preparation of the dish is living hell. When you open the can, it smells - funny. Veery funny. Should preferably be carried out far away from home, or at least in someone else's home. :D .
StefL wrote:Don't tempt me or I just might - there's a can of it sitting on the top shelf in the fridge just waiting to be opened 8-)
OK for me, I was just trying to be kind, thinking on Covenant... :mrgreen:
- Karl Ove Knausgård

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Sat May 08, 2010 8:29 pm

Gubbroera (I can't do umlauts easily) - would a Swedish o-umlaut be like a German one?
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

N.R. Gasan

Post by N.R. Gasan » Sun May 09, 2010 2:59 am

I'm a bit slow on the draw here, but I would also like to say welcome, editrice. I'm normally cautious, and when John first visited this website I was one of the vocal skeptics; open-minded but skeptical. Happily, John turned out to be the real article, in more ways than one. He is a class act. I'm going to presume that you are who you say you are, and therefore you are also a class act; not every editor would take time out to hob-nob with a bunch of fans.

This also says something about this website, I think. I wonder how many fansites get personal visits from individuals who've played a direct role in bringing an idea or story to life (actors, directors, writers, etc.). I really have no idea, since this is the only fansite I've ever been a part of. I do know that we have, as members, very smart, perceptive, and caring people. Wolfchild has done a truly amazing job in creating and moderating this site. And now, editrice, you come and give your stamp of approval, as has John. I feel quite privileged to be a part of all this, and I thank you for your time and interest.

As for the fan fiction, I say go for it. I'd love to hear your opinion of what I've written. :) Of course I don't expect you to do that; I imagine you are much too busy for such things. Still, one can only hope. LOL

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”