Reflections on the Novel

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
InfectedFox

Reflections on the Novel

Post by InfectedFox » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:05 pm

I wish I had known this place existed when the original movie came out, I would have been a constant contributor for sure. As it is things seem much more quiet now, but I just finished reading the novel and needed to talk about it. I hope that JAL still glances here sometimes.

I watched the original movie when it first came out over in the States, and was a huge fan of it at the time. I had bought the book immediately but never got around to reading it, probably because at the time I was first starting college and that took all my attention. Wish I had. Two weeks ago while browsing Amazon Prime I happened back upon the movie and rewatched it. Getting re-emerged into the story felt like finding something of a Rosetta Stone for certain aspects of my life the past decade plus (I can't believe it's been that long).

So I picked back up the book. While I felt the urge to devour it quickly I forced myself to go slow and take my time. I don't think I've been as moved by a relationship in a story as I was between Oskar and Eli. The full force of the tragedy of everything, particularly the violent origin of Eli and them having to navigate that for centuries, made me pause at times and almost weep. Ultimately dealing with tragedy is the theme I took the most from the book. As mentioned, the tragedy of Eli having this forced upon them, the tragedy of Oskar losing his innocence and eventually his family, the tragedy of Virginia and co. But Eli finding a friend and partner after hundreds of years? What a stark contrast. It has been remarked upon how Eli and Oskar are two sides of the same coin. I think this is a perfect description.

I saw the interview of JAL saying he had thought of but decided against pursuing a sequel. With the two short stories since then I dearly hope he reconsiders someday. There is so much left open on background (strategically I get why he did it, having so much mystery is very compelling), but also how the two would navigate the modern world. So much has changed since the book was written, let alone when it took place. Practically a different universe. Before Eli was able to slip in and out of the edges of society. Much, much harder to do now, with social media, cell phones, LGBT rights and theory, modern police methods, modern medicine. Maybe some day, we can hope. I hope Eli still resonates with mystery with the author as they do with me, these years later.

Siggdalos

Re: Reflections on the Novel

Post by Siggdalos » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:38 pm

Welcome! As far as I know it's mostly over the last couple of years that the activity here has died down, but there's a bunch of us who hang around still.

I had a similar first-time experience with the novel. It affected me more than any other book I'd read at that point, and I also had a burning need to share my excitement for it (and particularly for O&E's relationship) with others. Sounds like you'll fit right in. :D
InfectedFox wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:05 pm
Ultimately dealing with tragedy is the theme I took the most from the book. As mentioned, the tragedy of Eli having this forced upon them, the tragedy of Oskar losing his innocence and eventually his family, the tragedy of Virginia and co.
That's interesting, it's not usually the angle I see people focus on the most when talking about what the story is about for them. Always cool to see a different perspective. Although, I'm not sure I would agree with including Oskar there since that was the result of his own decisions, and I would say that we don't see enough of the aftermath to know how he deals with the consequences thereof (nor we do in Let the Old Dreams Die, for that matter). Not trying to take away from your experience of the story, of course, just putting out some of my own thoughts.
InfectedFox wrote:
I saw the interview of JAL saying he had thought of but decided against pursuing a sequel. With the two short stories since then I dearly hope he reconsiders someday. There is so much left open on background (strategically I get why he did it, having so much mystery is very compelling), but also how the two would navigate the modern world. So much has changed since the book was written, let alone when it took place. Practically a different universe. Before Eli was able to slip in and out of the edges of society. Much, much harder to do now, with social media, cell phones, LGBT rights and theory, modern police methods, modern medicine. Maybe some day, we can hope. I hope Eli still resonates with mystery with the author as they do with me, these years later.
While I wouldn't want him to write a sequel unless he had a great idea for it and felt like it was something he really wanted to do, I'm inclined to agree with you. :)
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

InfectedFox

Post by InfectedFox » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:03 pm

Siggdalos wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:38 pm
I had a similar first-time experience with the novel. It affected me more than any other book I'd read at that point, and I also had a burning need to share my excitement for it (and particularly for O&E's relationship) with others. Sounds like you'll fit right in. :D
Let me put it this way - there has only really been one other franchise I felt a desire to read fanfiction for (in that case, Beastars). As it is right now I'm working through several of them I've found on this forum. You've described it exactly how it feels - I think the last time I've felt this involved in a novel was reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy. In that case I read it over a weekend, then reread it immediately. Going to be doing the same with LtROI once I finish these fanfics.
That's interesting, it's not usually the angle I see people focus on the most when talking about what the story is about for them. Always cool to see a different perspective. Although, I'm not sure I would agree with including Oskar there since that was the result of his own decisions, and I would say that we don't see enough of the aftermath to know how he deals with the consequences thereof (nor we do in Let the Old Dreams Die, for that matter). Not trying to take away from your experience of the story, of course, just putting out some of my own thoughts.
That's completely true, it was purely my observation because we don't know his true feelings. Partly this is informed I think because I was so overcome with heartache when the totality of what happened with Eli hit me, the type of life they've had to live and the barbarity inflicted upon them. The other part is knowing people who were forced to leave home early in their life and how they ultimately feel about their decision and what they miss.

intrige

Post by intrige » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:19 pm

Yeah it seems pretty dead, but some shadows are still lukring ;)

Also, welcomwe :D
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

Ash

Post by Ash » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:44 am

Siggdalos wrote:
"....but there's a bunch of us who hang around still.
Yeh, I still drop in from time to time.... hi everyone 😊

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:02 pm

Ash wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:44 am
Siggdalos wrote:
"....but there's a bunch of us who hang around still.
Yeh, I still drop in from time to time.... hi everyone 😊
Woah ... @Ash steps out of the shadows. Great to see ya!

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:09 pm

InfectedFox wrote:
...While I felt the urge to devour it quickly I forced myself to go slow and take my time....
Greetings @InfectedFox! (great name) Glad you took your time on the read. That's what I did, altho in my case I read book about 2 months after seeing the movie. Same result though as with me.
InfectedFox wrote:
Ultimately dealing with tragedy is the theme I took the most from the book. As mentioned, the tragedy of Eli having this forced upon them, the tragedy of Oskar losing his innocence and eventually his family, the tragedy of Virginia and co.
Indeed! Well said. Add in the same for Tommy? [Aside: how I do want to see a miniseries made where Tommy is added in. His omission from the movie makes sense in the context of producing a 90 min movie from the novel. Yet he's in the novel of for good reason (yes?) and I would love to see how that'd be set to play out on film.) Add in the same, in a minor ways, for Staffan and/or Gunnar Holmberg?

Ash

Post by Ash » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:01 am

InfectedFox wrote:
Ultimately dealing with tragedy is the theme I took the most from the book.
Perhaps so but the ending of the film, and to a lesser extent the novel, promises the hope of a new life together. Both have a kind of happy ending or at least the hope that one in the future is possible. Maybe I'm just a chronic optimist but both endings were pretty much perfect for me.

InfectedFox

Post by InfectedFox » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:24 pm

gkmoberg1 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:09 pm
Greetings @InfectedFox! (great name)
Thanks! I use the handle "FauxhemianFox" a lot, so this alteration seemed fitting for this group.
Indeed! Well said. Add in the same for Tommy? [Aside: how I do want to see a miniseries made where Tommy is added in. His omission from the movie makes sense in the context of producing a 90 min movie from the novel. Yet he's in the novel of for good reason (yes?) and I would love to see how that'd be set to play out on film.) Add in the same, in a minor ways, for Staffan and/or Gunnar Holmberg?
I think Tommy was an important voice in the novel, and you're right, would be a great miniseries addition. His character offered a sense of grounding, of how really crazy the whole situation is (in a way that Oscar somewhat did). Thinking of the scene where Eli paid him to be a blood doner.
Ash wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:01 am
Perhaps so but the ending of the film, and to a lesser extent the novel, promises the hope of a new life together. Both have a kind of happy ending or at least the hope that one in the future is possible. Maybe I'm just a chronic optimist but both endings were pretty much perfect for me.
I certainly agree that the endings were perfect for both!! From what little snippets we have at least it seems the two of them have a happy existence now.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”