Do you think Oskar might regret his decision in life?

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
danielmann861

Do you think Oskar might regret his decision in life?

Post by danielmann861 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:05 pm

Back when JAL was flirting with the idea of writing a proper sequel to LTROI, one of the things that stood out to me was the plot tidbit he threw out of Oskar returning to Blackeberg on the news of his mothers death. This seemed like an interesting thread to me.

We all romanticise the relationship between Oskar and Eli. We all romanticise the choice that Oskar made. But the truth is he did abandon his poor mum. Say what you will about Oskar's parents, but there is no doubting they loved him even if they weren't always attentive to him. I guess as I get older I realize it would have broke his mothers heart the day he left. But it also got me to wondering. Should that book ever be written, do you think there is a chance that Oskar may actually regret his decision a little? Now that he's had a taste of that life for a few years, there is a tragic side to it in the sense that he will never grow as a person. He will never blossom into adult hood. He's forever at the age of 12. Granted, he is with someone he loves. But still, there has to be a point where it catches up to him.

The more I think about it, the more I realise I kind of do want a proper follow up to Let the Right One In just because I think there is an angle that could be explored and could make for a very interesting and melancholic reflection piece on the original story.

Shame it will probably never happen...also, it would be kind of cool to see what became of some of the other characters. The fallout from the pool massacre. What became of the survivors? What became of Oskar's father? I don't know...the more I think about it, the more it could make for an interesting book...but I doubt it will ever happen.

cmfireflies

Re: Do you think Oskar might regret his decision in life?

Post by cmfireflies » Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:26 pm

Oskar will probably regret his decision more than a little, in the sense that there'd definitely be nights when he wishes that he could just be a regular sleeping in his bed in his mom's apartment, instead of wherever he and Eli happen to be.
However, I'd like to think that he'll do it all over again even with regrets, if they survive any significant amount of time with each other. To Oskar, his human life ended at the pool. He gave human society his best shot and it ends with him being betrayed and drowned. Eli saving him was a miracle. He knows Eli came back out of love, to not leave with Eli at that point would be cruel, in essence abandoning Eli right after he saved his life. I don't think Oskar could do that. And I don't think Oskar's family ties would be enough to hold him as he didn't tell his mother about Eli.
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

VerbalHamster

Post by VerbalHamster » Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:57 am

Oskar will probably regret his decision more than a little, in the sense that there'd definitely be nights when he wishes that he could just be a regular sleeping in his bed in his mom's apartment, instead of wherever he and Eli happen to be.
However, I'd like to think that he'll do it all over again even with regrets, if they survive any significant amount of time with each other. To Oskar, his human life ended at the pool. He gave human society his best shot and it ends with him being betrayed and drowned. Eli saving him was a miracle. He knows Eli came back out of love, to not leave with Eli at that point would be cruel, in essence abandoning Eli right after he saved his life. I don't think Oskar could do that. And I don't think Oskar's family ties would be enough to hold him as he didn't tell his mother about Eli.
Agree with cmfireflies. Being always on the move is a difficult lifestyle at times, even if you're with someone you truly love, and doubly so when you're reminded of what you've left behind. It's only human to have the occasional moment of doubt when things get especially rough. But, I would imagine the regret is very fleeting and pales in comparison to a life spent with someone you cherish.

It would be great to get a sequel. I remember reading that quote about Oskar's return Blackeberg and wondering what kind of direction the story could take - one where he deals with the weight of his decision would be a great one. I know JAL used to visit the forum every now and then... I'd love for him to pursue that idea, even though he thought it might not be worth following up on.

cmfireflies

Post by cmfireflies » Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:33 pm

there is a tragic side to it in the sense that he will never grow as a person. He will never blossom into adult hood. He's forever at the age of 12. Granted, he is with someone he loves. But still, there has to be a point where it catches up to him.
I'd like to think that Oskar wouldn't mind being 12 forever because he doesn't know what he's missing out on in adulthood.
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:30 pm

danielmann861 wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:05 pm
We all romanticise the relationship between Oskar and Eli. We all romanticise the choice that Oskar made.
I try not to, personally. It's certainly a beautiful happy ending and the only one I want and feel is appropriate for them. But I also try to keep an honest view of what it would be in reality, which is to say a disturbingly dark ending and a very selfish decision on Oskar's part (with regards to everyone who isn't Eli) that will inevitably result in a lot of blood, disgust, guilt, and second thoughts for him. I think he'd still ultimately feel it was the right decision, because Eli, but it wouldn't be a bed of roses either. As LTODD tells us, when the narrator is reflecting on Munch's The Kiss in relation to Stefan and Karin (my translation):
Rather than a kiss it is more a question of fusing. On one hand the painting depicts the the kiss above all other kisses, the union that causes the two to meet and become one. On the other hand the painting is very dark and there is something tortured about the posture of the bodies, as if what we're witnessing is something inexorable and painful. Regardless, it's about two people who have merged with each other completely and been erased as separate individuals.
It doesn't take much reading between the lines to realize that JAL is not talking solely about S&K here.

When it comes to Oskar's parents, I agree with what metoo once wrote:
metoo wrote:
Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:44 pm
[...] Eventually, I think, Oskar would feel sorry for his mum, knowing that he caused her great pain when he left her. Sadly, he would never be able to resolve the guilt that would create.

About Oskar's relation to his father, I'm less sure. [...] Maybe the damage to Oskar's relation with his dad was irreparable. Maybe, years later, he would remember his dad for the good, forget the bad, and start to wonder what became of him.
I also agree with cmfireflies here:
cmfireflies wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:26 pm
cmfireflies wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:33 pm
I'd like to think that Oskar wouldn't mind being 12 forever because he doesn't know what he's missing out on in adulthood.
He wouldn't know, but I think he'd be able to form a pretty good idea by observing people around him (and by continuing to do what he's always done: reading books). However, I think he'd decide that he's not missing much since he already has everything he could ever want (Eli).
danielmann861 wrote:
[...] I think there is an angle that could be explored and could make for a very interesting and melancholic reflection piece on the original story.

Shame it will probably never happen...also, it would be kind of cool to see what became of some of the other characters. The fallout from the pool massacre. What became of the survivors? What became of Oskar's father?
I have an ambition to try to accomplish something like this with an as-of-yet unfinished fan fiction. For what it's worth.

Somewhat off-topic, but Eternal/Love from Paper Walls is (thematically speaking) also something of a comment on LTROI's ending, and not a positive one. Of course, JAL didn't intend it as such while writing (see the Paper Walls afterword) and it long predates both the film and LTODD.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

metoo

Post by metoo » Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:41 pm

danielmann861 wrote:
[...] do you think there is a chance that Oskar may actually regret his decision a little? Now that he's had a taste of that life for a few years, there is a tragic side to it in the sense that he will never grow as a person. He will never blossom into adult hood. He's forever at the age of 12. Granted, he is with someone he loves. But still, there has to be a point where it catches up to him.
cmfireflies wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:33 pm
Siggdalos wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:30 pm
He wouldn't know, but I think he'd be able to form a pretty good idea by observing people around him (and by continuing to do what he's always done: reading books). However, I think he'd decide that he's not missing much since he already has everything he could ever want (Eli).
I agree.
In my fan fiction Oskar at 13 I tried to express what I believe Oskar's thoughts on this subject would be:
Midnight. It had just turned into Oskar's birthday, his thirteenth. He would not be called “a child” anymore, but “a teenager”. Teenagers, they went to secondary school or high school. Spoke with dark voices, or else they had breasts, if they were girls. Went around in flocks at night, boys and girls together, making noise. Stood necking in street corners. But that didn’t apply to Oskar, he would never be like that. He was infected, and would never be any different than he was now. Sure, the disease had changed him, but the change he had undergone seemed minor in comparison. He was the same Oskar he'd always been, thought and felt the same way as he always had. To become a teenager wasn’t like that, then one’s soul changed, Oskar had understood as much. He was glad to have escaped all that, thinking about it. It just seemed awkward.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

VerbalHamster

Post by VerbalHamster » Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:33 am

Siggdalos wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:30 pm
I have an ambition to try to accomplish something like this with an as-of-yet unfinished fan fiction. For what it's worth.
Looking forward to reading it when it's finished!

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:04 am

The question presupposes that the urge to reconnect with his parents occurs after he's been turned. If that were the case, would it not be doubly cruel to them to know that not only did he abandon the parent-child relationship, but he's also chosen to become a blood-sucking monster? Parental love & forgiveness can overcome an awful lot, but the thought of their reaction might give him pause to make the attempt.

OTOH, I would not preume to define the boundaries of parental love, even of those parents whose child has, for example, run away from home and later been imprisoned for murder. The human heart has a tremendous capacity for love and forgiveness. The question is, to what extent will Oskar understand that capacity.

metoo

Post by metoo » Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:53 am

a_contemplative_life wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:04 am
The question presupposes that the urge to reconnect with his parents occurs after he's been turned. If that were the case, would it not be doubly cruel to them to know that not only did he abandon the parent-child relationship, but he's also chosen to become a blood-sucking monster? Parental love & forgiveness can overcome an awful lot, but the thought of their reaction might give him pause to make the attempt.

OTOH, I would not preume to define the boundaries of parental love, even of those parents whose child has, for example, run away from home and later been imprisoned for murder. The human heart has a tremendous capacity for love and forgiveness. The question is, to what extent will Oskar understand that capacity.
I believe that Oskar would have wanted to ask his parents for their forgiveness ever since he left (or at least since the excitement of the first few weeks of his new life had turned into routine).
However, I think there would be several reasons why he wouldn't attempt to contact them:
Firstly, he wouldn't want to have to tell them that he wouldn't come back to live with them, even if telling them that he was alive might make them happier.
Secondly, he wouldn't be able to explain why he wouldn't come back. His parents rather certainly wouldn't believe him unless he showed them more than he would be prepared to.
Thirdly, his parents would plausibly attempt to keep him against his will if he visited them the first few years after he left. That might turn out ugly, and he wouldn't want to risk that.

Still, I think Oskar would think about his parents many a time though the years. Eli would notice, Oskar would tell, and they would discuss the matter.

I believe Oskar's parents would react very differently to his return after a few decades as compared to what they would have done the first few years. The utter miracle that he still remained physically (as well as mentally) the same would plausibly change things a lot, and I believe both Oskar and Eli would understand this.
Therefore, perhaps, Oskar might eventually make a try and seek his parents to ask for their forgiveness.

Hopefully he wouldn't bee too late.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:19 am

metoo wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:53 am
a_contemplative_life wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:04 am

I believe that Oskar would have wanted to ask his parents for their forgiveness ever since he left (or at least since the excitement of the first few weeks of his new life had turned into routine).
However, I think there would be several reasons why he wouldn't attempt to contact them:
Firstly, he wouldn't want to have to tell them that he wouldn't come back to live with them, even if telling them that he was alive might make them happier.
Secondly, he wouldn't be able to explain why he wouldn't come back. His parents rather certainly wouldn't believe him unless he showed them more than he would be prepared to.
Thirdly, his parents would plausibly attempt to keep him against his will if he visited them the first few years after he left. That might turn out ugly, and he wouldn't want to risk that.

Still, I think Oskar would think about his parents many a time though the years. Eli would notice, Oskar would tell, and they would discuss the matter.

I believe Oskar's parents would react very differently to his return after a few decades as compared to what they would have done the first few years. The utter miracle that he still remained physically (as well as mentally) the same would plausibly change things a lot, and I believe both Oskar and Eli would understand this.
Therefore, perhaps, Oskar might eventually make a try and seek his parents to ask for their forgiveness.

Hopefully he wouldn't bee too late.
I agree. I think Oskar would eventually try to seek out his parents. I have him doing so in Chapter 46 of The Eli Chronicles, although his reason for seeking them out is sad:
http://let-the-right-one-in.com/fancont ... the-family
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”