Seasons greeetings no. 13

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
johnajvide

Seasons greeetings no. 13

Post by johnajvide » Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:30 pm

Merry Christmas, everyone!
It´s been a busy year. For those of you who are interested in reading "The Kindness" (Vänligheten), I´m, happy to tell you that this 700+ pages monster of a book is due to come out in english in the spring of 2023.
Here in Sweden the novel "Verkligheten" was published in the spring of 2022 It´s already translated into english under the title "Reality". It´s a short book, about 160 pages and was written in five weeks. It´s written in first person and deals with the woes of a woman, Heidi, who is the star of a reality show. We follow her during one day in which her own reality starts to unravel. It asks many questions about the reality of our existance, but is also quite funny due to the absurdity of Heidi´s situation. There is serious interest from a large procuction company to turn it into a movie, and I intend to write the script.
In autumn my first pure crime novel, "Skriften i vattnet" (The writing in the water) came out and became a smash hit! It was nominated as one of five for best crime novel in 2022. Already sold to a few countries for advances about ten times as large as I normally get. It´s getting translated to english right now. It´s the first part of a trilogy with the undertitle "Bloodstorm". Right now I´m writing the next one, called "The room in the earth", hopefully to publish in the autumn of 2023.
Another finished and unconnected novel is due to come out in may 2023. It´s about 350 pages long and called "The summer of 85". It´s like the quintessence of all the books I´ve written. Story that takes place in the swedish archipelago? Check. Main characters in their early teens? Check. A supernatural entity? Check. 80s nostalgia? Check. It´s about a group of 14-year olds who find ... a mermaid. Not the Ariel kind, mind you. Far from, far from.
Thea Hvistendahls filming of "Handling the undead" is completed and it´s now being edited. I went over to Oslo to do a cameo (as a funeral director, what else?) and Thea showed me some footage. It looks wonderful and sad, a zombie movie like none you´ve ever seen.
And no, I haven´t seen that american series and probably never will. Not a word from them and not a penny. It´s quite appaling. Nope, not bitter at all, but it´s kinda ... sad.
The american series that I was writing and that I told you about last year probably fell through. Too bad, there were some great ideas in there. Among many other things it dealt with The Wendigo.
Sorry, but I have to stop there. Christmas preparations. Take care, all of you. Keep discussing, keep living and try to be kind to others and to yourself.
John

Siggdalos

Re: Seasons greeetings no. 13

Post by Siggdalos » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:30 pm

Good Yule!

I've been looking forward to The Summer of 85 ever since you started talking about it in detail. It sounds like it contains most the things I like most in your writing. It'll be interesting to read your take on mermaids (sirens?), after you rejected using them in Harbour.

(Most of all I'm still anticipating that elusive short story collection containing Sigge, though.)
johnajvide wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:30 pm
The american series that I was writing and that I told you about last year probably fell through. Too bad, there were some great ideas in there. Among many other things it dealt with The Wendigo.
Sad, but unsurprising, considering how you've described your earlier experiences with TV production. Ah well, c'est la vie.
johnajvide wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:30 pm
And no, I haven´t seen that american series and probably never will. Not a word from them and not a penny. It´s quite appaling. Nope, not bitter at all, but it´s kinda ... sad.
I don't even know what to say about this. I like Showtime's LTROI as a show, but part of me wishes it hadn't been made considering how they've treated you. Ganska rövigt beteende från deras sida, kan man lugnt säga.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:23 am

Merry Christmas to you as well John. Congrats on all for this last year. May 2023 be at least as kind. Cheers!

Blood

Post by Blood » Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:38 am

Hey John,

Thank you for posting an update on your work. I am looking forward to discuss The Kindness as soon as it comes out in english. The summer of 85 sounds like a hit on the forum for sure.

My work takes me to Hollywood on a weekly basis. I saw a billboard for the american series and was reminded of the amazing movie and book you gave to all of us. I haven't bothered to finish the show but I am in the process of collecting and reading all your books. If anything comes of this show, I hope it helps more people discover your amazing stories. As a result of your books, I started planning a trip to Sweden and Norway. I can not thank you enough for the enrichment your writing provided to my life.

I wish you and everyone on this site a great holiday season. Cheers!

danielmann861

Post by danielmann861 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:02 pm

It´s been a busy year. For those of you who are interested in reading "The Kindness" (Vänligheten), I´m, happy to tell you that this 700+ pages monster of a book is due to come out in english in the spring of 2023.
Always a good year when another JAL book gets published in English. Very much looking forward to The Kindness. Still a bit confused on the date, online retailers have it listed for August but you've mentioned Spring? Hopefully it is Spring. I don't want to wait until August.
Here in Sweden the novel "Verkligheten" was published in the spring of 2022 It´s already translated into english under the title "Reality". It´s a short book, about 160 pages and was written in five weeks. It´s written in first person and deals with the woes of a woman, Heidi, who is the star of a reality show. We follow her during one day in which her own reality starts to unravel. It asks many questions about the reality of our existance, but is also quite funny due to the absurdity of Heidi´s situation. There is serious interest from a large procuction company to turn it into a movie, and I intend to write the script.
That sounds right up my alley! Hopefully one day it gets translated to English. I would love to read that.
Thea Hvistendahls filming of "Handling the undead" is completed and it´s now being edited. I went over to Oslo to do a cameo (as a funeral director, what else?) and Thea showed me some footage. It looks wonderful and sad, a zombie movie like none you´ve ever seen.
Easily my most anticipated film of next year, sir. Been waiting for this one for a LONG time. Can't wait to see the final product.
Honestly, I kind of fell out of interest 4 episodes in. Had some potential but I just lost interest in it 4 episodes and never went back to it. Didn't capture me in quite the same way. I should go back and finish it out of curiosity. It's a damn shame as to how you were treated with it, but I guess that is the cruel world of Showbiz. The one good thing to take from it is that it might help expose more people to the still amazing original story though.

Sorry, but I have to stop there. Christmas preparations. Take care, all of you. Keep discussing, keep living and try to be kind to others and to yourself.
John
Take care, John! All the best to you and your family. It's always a pleasure to see the annual "Seasons Greetings" post and always a pleasure to remember you haven't forgotten us. All the best for the new year!

N.R. Gasan

Post by N.R. Gasan » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:00 am

Salutations, John...

Who says 13 is an unlucky number? Wow...13 Seasons greetings. You never miss. And it does my heart good that you are doing so well.

Sometimes even the most talented never get their due. To see that you are getting your due and to know that you are a kind, considerate soul to boot...well...

*two thumbs up* :D

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”