Is the infection looked upon as something natural, or something supernatural?

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
Milkman

Is the infection looked upon as something natural, or something supernatural?

Post by Milkman » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:38 pm

Clearly, in our world the infection would have to be considered something supernatural. No one can just grow wings or claws out of the blue. And they certainly can't have super strenght if they don't have the necessary muscle mass.

Now, within the Universe of LTROI, is there any indication of whether it is something natural or supernatural? I think I remember Eli saying something about it, but I can't be sure since I sometimes find myself mixing thing up what I've read from Fan Fiction with the book itself. And I'm too lazy to try and look for it.

I try to look at it this way: Wings, claws, eyes, teeth, strenght -- All of these, from my point of view, should be considered something natural, since the infection somehow has mutated the body and made it so those things are possible on a natural standpoint.
However, these two confuse me: when it comes to the sun burning their skin, and the need to be invited inside private places.

- Sun burning their skin. I guess it could be looked as something natural. Could be that the infection itself is made of some weird substance that when in contact with the sun it burns. Yes, the infection is what's inside the person, but both the individual and the infection at that point are one in the same. That could be an acceptable way to look at it, the body is no longer the same it once was, and since it is now capable of growing wings and etc, it's easy to assume that on a genetic standpoint it is absolutely changed and nothing like a human. Which would explain burning the skin, just like the infection that lives within would also burn if somehow it where exposed to sunlight.

- The need to be invited inside private places. I think I've read somewhere on some topic the idea that maybe it's the infection itself that decides that strolling inside some strangers house uninvited wouldn't be "fair". Or something like that, I don't know.
This one however, I can't see how it could not be supernatural.

What's your opinion?
I must be gone and live, or stay and die.

Siggdalos

Re: Is the infection looked upon as something natural, or something supernatural?

Post by Siggdalos » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:56 pm

It is definitely supernatural, if you ask me. There is no reasonable explanation for the invitation rule other than "magic".

And for what it's worth, Eli seems to think that the reason vampires burn to death in sunlight is because nature itself rejects them as something unnatural.
Sunday 8 November (Evening/Night) wrote:Eli almost lost his balance as he was thrown forward by the sun's howling force. Nature vomited its disgust at his transgression; to show himself in sunlight for even one second.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

Milkman

Re: Is the infection looked upon as something natural, or something supernatural?

Post by Milkman » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:02 pm

Yeaaah you're right. Those two, no matter what kind of excuses we may give, they're definitely not natural. I was hoping to find some logic that could explain it, but there's just no way.

metoo

Post by metoo » Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:58 pm

In my view, Eliform vampirism is a mix of natural causes and magic.

Oskar once had these thoughts:
”Men magi ... naturligtvis finns det magi. Om än aldrig så lite. De som förnekade magin, det var dem det gick illa för.”
"But magic ... of course there is magic. If just ever so little. Those who denied magic were the ones who ended up badly.” Google's translation, edited by me.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

Milkman

Post by Milkman » Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:43 pm

metoo wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:58 pm
In my view, Eliform vampirism is a mix of natural causes and magic.
Despite your view and what Oskar thought though, do you think that the way the infection is depicted in the novel is meant to make us think it is a completely natural thing? Just like there are some parasites in real life that take over some insects bodies? I'm really interested in this.
It clearly has magic aspects, that can't be denied. But I don't know, while I was reading the novel the first time I really had this feeling that we were meant to believe that this was almost a completely natural disease. Even though it's not.
It's as if the book was telling me : "Yeaah, it is magical, but its knowledge is beyond human comprehension and as such it should be considered natural"

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:31 pm

Well, it's an interesting question, but I'd personally say no. I think it's still meant to be seen as something magical and unexplainable, and that the time the book spends on explaining the infection's biology is simply a consequence of the fact that JAL decided he needed to examine the practical details in order to treat the subject seriously. It's more "If vampirism like it's depicted in pop culture existed in the real world, what would the consequences be?", rather than "What if vampirism was a natural disease?".

Taking something from folklore or pop culture and bringing it down to a more mundane level, while still keeping it as something supernatural, is something JAL does a lot in his writing, like with zombies in Handling the Undead, Spiritus in Harbour, tomtar in Come Unto Me, and werewolves in Hair.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

metoo

Post by metoo » Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:53 pm

Siggdalos wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:31 pm
Well, it's an interesting question, but I'd personally say no. I think it's still meant to be seen as something magical and unexplainable, and that the time the book spends on explaining the infection's biology is simply a consequence of the fact that JAL decided he needed to examine the practical details in order to treat the subject seriously. It's more "If vampirism like it's depicted in pop culture existed in the real world, what would the consequences be?", rather than "What if vampirism was a natural disease?".

Taking something from folklore or pop culture and bringing it down to a more mundane level, while still keeping it as something supernatural, is something JAL does a lot in his writing, like with zombies in Handling the Undead, Spiritus in Harbour, tomtar in Come Unto Me, and werewolves in Hair.
I agree. I believe JAL has said that his writing deals with what happens when a common and completely ordinary world is confronted with "the other", something unfamiliar and fundamentally unexplainable.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

Milkman

Post by Milkman » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:59 pm

Siggdalos wrote:
Taking something from folklore or pop culture and bringing it down to a more mundane level, while still keeping it as something supernatural
I liked the way your phrased it. Perfect way to describe what happens in LTROI. Unfortunately I still haven't read any other of JAL's projects. Will do in time though.
metoo wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:53 pm

I agree. I believe JAL has said that his writing deals with what happens when a common and completely ordinary world is confronted with "the other", something unfamiliar and fundamentally unexplainable.
Again, two perfect ways to describe it. I must say I fell in love with how vampirism is portrayed in this story. The way the infection develops within the human body and the mutations it forces upon the body specially. Love the detail of the "hibernation" as well. All of it is something I personally had never seen anywhere before. Then again, I'm no expert in vampire lore.

Anyways, thanks guys for taking your time to discuss this with me!

Marcellus

Post by Marcellus » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:49 pm

Siggdalos wrote:

JAL's storytelling distinguishes itself by exploring supernatural phenomena through a realistic lens. By rooting fantastical elements in reality, he lends depth and credibility to his stories. In deconstructing vampirism's practical consequences, JAL preserves its mystique while inviting readers to consider its potential real-world implications—a tactic present across his wide collection of work.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”