Does Eli require permission to reenter his home?

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
Therion

Does Eli require permission to reenter his home?

Post by Therion » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:10 am

In circumstances where Eli is living with a guardian, does Eli need his guardian to re-invite him in whenever he leaves his home? Is he 'locked out' of his home whenever he exits its premises?

Siggdalos

Re: Does Eli require permission to reenter his home?

Post by Siggdalos » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:47 am

In the Sunday 8 November (Evening) chapter, when he needs to be invited through the front door to Oskar's apartment and Oskar points out that he was already invited through the window, Eli simply replies that he needs a new invitation because the door is a new entrance. There's also no mention of him needing an invitation when he runs from the basement back to his and Håkan's apartment in Sunday 8 November (Evening/Night). So I would say no, once a vampire has been invited through an entrance, they're free to come and go through that entrance as they please.

Also, the novel doesn't give any clue about this, but I think it's logical to assume that a vampire wouldn't need any invitation at all when they're moving into an empty home (since it then becomes the vampire's own "home") and that the rule only applies when they're trying to enter a space that's normally occupied by other people.

Also, welcome to the forum.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

metoo

Post by metoo » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:54 am

As I understand it, once Eli is invited to enter into particular place via a particular entrance, he is free to enter there again but only through that entrance.

Now, there are many aspects of this that are not answered by the novel.
For instance, would Eli need a new invitation if new people moved in to a house or an apartment into which he had been invited by the former tenants?
I think so, but this never happens in the novel so nobody can tell for sure.
Siggdalos wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:47 am
Also, the novel doesn't give any clue about this, but I think it's logical to assume that a vampire wouldn't need any invitation at all when they're moving into an empty home (since it then becomes the vampire's own "home") and that the rule only applies when they're trying to enter a space that's normally occupied by other people.
I would agree to this.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

Therion

Post by Therion » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:34 pm

It's an ambiguous system. Thank you, Siggdalos, metoo.

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:12 pm

Therion wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:34 pm
It's an ambiguous system. Thank you, Siggdalos, metoo.
It's fiction, far more concerned with the thematic than with the axiomatic.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”