Places from the novel and movie

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
ltroifanatic

Places from the novel and movie

Post by ltroifanatic » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:43 am

Help... :!: While U Tubeing I came across a video of places from the book and movie.Trouble was it was all in Swedish.I couldn't understand a word so I left it to wait till I came here for maybe a translation but in the meantime I've lost the video..lol..Can anyone help?..Any pics are cool..Thanks
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

a_contemplative_life

Re: Places from the novel and movie

Post by a_contemplative_life » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:08 pm

I think there are several threads about this on the forum. Unfortunately, it appears that for many the pics are not available. Maybe some of the other forum members can identify additional threads, I know there were some good ones!

http://www.let-the-right-one-in.com/for ... f=2&t=1161

http://www.let-the-right-one-in.com/for ... experience

http://www.let-the-right-one-in.com/for ... f=4&t=1504

http://www.let-the-right-one-in.com/for ... ype+thingy

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:04 am

Thanks ACL.The google ones came out great.So much fun seeing where things happened.Thanks again :D
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

Pissball

Post by Pissball » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:27 pm

A question here..
In your translation, or even better, the original in swedish, how is described the place in which Eli stands?

My book (in spanish) describes Eli sitting on the slide ladder first, and in the top of the slide later, meaning is a playground like this:

In both movies however, and many fanarts, and the english translation too (PDF), it's a jungle gym (or something like that):

I wonder what would be the correct representation.

metoo

Post by metoo » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:30 pm

Pissball wrote:In your translation, or even better, the original in swedish, how is described the place in which Eli stands?
The Swedish text reads:

Han stannade till. Tyckte att han hört ett ljud. Med kniven intill höften såg han sig omkring. Lyfte kniven till ögonen, tittade på den. Spetsen var lika blank som innan. Han använde bladet som en spegel och vinklade det mot klätterställningen. Någon stod där. Någon som inte stått där nyss. En suddig kontur mot det rena stålet. Han sänkte kniven och tittade direkt mot klätterställningen. Jo. Men det var inte Vällingbymördaren. Det var ett barn.
Ljuset var tillräckligt för att avgöra att det var en flicka han aldrig förut sett på gården. Oskar tog ett steg mot klätterställningen. Flickan rörde sig inte. Stod bara där och tittade på honom.
Han tog ett steg till och blev plötsligt rädd. För vad? För sig själv. Med kniven i ett hårt grepp var han på väg mot flickan för att sticka den i henne. Det var ju inte så. Men det kändes så, ett ögonblick. Att inte hon blev rädd?
Han stannade, sköt tillbaka kniven i slidan och stoppade den innanför jackan.
"Hej."

In short, the text just says that a girl was standing in the jungle gym. It does not tell what the jungle gym looked like, but a paragraph or two earlier it says that the jungle gym had a slide. There also was a railing, which was situated more than two metres above ground.

Blackeberg was built in the mid 1950s. During that time playgrounds swings and jungle gyms were made of steel. In the seventies the fashion was to make them out of wood, a friendlier and softer material better suited for children. Often the old outdated steel stuff was replaced with new wood stuff in the seventies. This makes me wonder if the playground at Ibsengatan still was original in 1981, or if it had been modernised. Today it certainly is.

Anyway, the jungle gym did not look like the one in the movie, which was made specifically to fit in the wide screen film frame format.

BTW, the Swedish word "klätterställning" literally means "climbing rack".
Last edited by metoo on Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:13 am

Great clarification, metoo. And pball, it helps me to remember that TA used a lot of pixie dust and movie mojo to create this great film. Upon repeated viewings, what often appeared seamless on the first viewing gets me scratching my head. :)
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Pissball

Post by Pissball » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:03 pm

Thanks for the answer, I see, both are correct tho, jungle gym = playground in English are like synonymous

Same for "klätterställning" I gloogle it, and I got the same pictures of a playground / jungle gym.

In Spanish there is no concrete word for that, so the translator went directly to "slide" (tobogan in spanish) in those scenes-

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”