The *rest* of the anthology

For discussion of the horror anthology containing John Ajvide Lindqvist's story What Kept You So Long?
seigezunt

The *rest* of the anthology

Post by seigezunt » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:31 pm

I thought I'd start a thread to discuss the *other* stories in the anthology. I'm intending to read the whole thing, because I just can't stand the idea of gobbling up the JAL story first.

Are you reading the others?

I'm only one story in, but I enjoyed "Up In Old Vermont," the first story. I kind of saw the end coming, but that made it scarier, in my opinion. Reminded me of a Twilight Zone episode.

*I have to temper my comments with a note that I'm not a big consumer of contemporary horror fiction, so I have no basis from which to scale the stories in this anthology against. My vampire reading is fairly limited (other than LTROI/LTODD) to some of the classics and Steven King, and I never got into Anne Rice, and loath "Twilight." Which kind of made the theme of this collection compelling.
"She can fly, she has amazing and horrifying powers, she isn’t exactly a boy or a girl, she can’t come inside unless she’s invited ... and she loves him. That’s enough."

--Andrew O'Hehir, Salon.com

My LTROI Pinterest Board

Nightrider

Re: The *rest* of the anthology

Post by Nightrider » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:19 am

"Mother" by Joe McKinney

A bit of a meandering tale that takes place in dry and dusty Dewitt County in Central Texas. Children of migrant workers are being found drained of blood with strange white dry patches on their skin. There's a lot going on in this story...Lots of information...Police on the take, cryptozoology, legend of Chupacbra, mysterious graves, supernatural creatures and much , much more. This story could have used some editing. It reminds me of the weaker episodes of 80's version of "Twilight Zone" where the main narrative appears to be exciting and imaginative, but the finale seems unoriginal and cliched.
On the other hand, I enjoyed the detailed description of Texas backdrop. I live about 2 hours away from the area described in the short story and I can tell you that it looks exactly the way it reads on the page. An OK story. It should have had a better monster.
http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

seigezunt

Post by seigezunt » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:49 pm

So far...

"Up in Old Vermont" -- Just to add, some reviewers complain about the long setup, but I liked it. I liked the monster, and the ending was scary though predictable. Not predictable from the onset, at least the form that it took. Nice layering. And being a New Englander, I always appreciate stories set in this most creepy part of the country.

"Something Lost, Something Gained" -- I enjoyed this one, though not much happens. Very atmospheric with a chilling ending. Poetic.

"On the Dark Side of Sunlight Basin" -- Like this one. Actually suspenseful, which makes sense I guess as that is the stock and trade of the author, from the bio. All around fun IMO. Twisted and with a nice touch of grim humor IMO.

"The Neighbors" -- Well, at least it was short. Silly story basically betting the bank on a reversal that really pays nothing off, and left me momentarily confused because I'm not familiar with the conventions of vampire lore from recent TV shows. I never watched "Buffy" so I was confused for a moment about what a "slayer" was, and the punchline really needs you to be familiar with that IMO Forgettable and gimmicky.
"She can fly, she has amazing and horrifying powers, she isn’t exactly a boy or a girl, she can’t come inside unless she’s invited ... and she loves him. That’s enough."

My LTROI Pinterest Board

cmfireflies

Post by cmfireflies » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:41 am

Is it just me or are the rest of the story super depressing? At least the first few, Up in Old Vermont, Something Lost, Something Gained, Paper Cuts, We are All Monsters Now, they all seem to be variations of the theme: humans are the real monsters, the vampires are just the catalyst.

I kind of want a story to be as sweet as Let the Right One In or Let the Old Dreams Die.
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

seigezunt

Post by seigezunt » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:47 pm

cmfireflies wrote:Is it just me or are the rest of the story super depressing? At least the first few, Up in Old Vermont, Something Lost, Something Gained, Paper Cuts, We are All Monsters Now, they all seem to be variations of the theme: humans are the real monsters, the vampires are just the catalyst.

I kind of want a story to be as sweet as Let the Right One In or Let the Old Dreams Die.
I'll have to let you know once I finish. I'm thinking that this is a trope in modern horror --people are horrible. That said, the novel of LTROI wasn't THAT sweet, excepting Eli/Oskar.

And to continue with my reviews ...

"Paper Cuts" - Despite kind of being a silly concept --vampire books-- I enjoyed this one. Though to be honest it's pretty easy to get me on your side if you include a Nazi/skinhead/bigot meeting a gruesome end.

And speaking to cmfireflies concern, I thought this had an upbeat ending in a way.

My LTROI Pinterest Board

lombano

Post by lombano » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:30 pm

So folks here would recommend Up in Old Vermont?
Bli mig lite.

Return to “Seize The Night”