New short story from JAL

For discussion of the horror anthology containing John Ajvide Lindqvist's story What Kept You So Long?
intrige

Re: New short story from JAL

Post by intrige » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:37 am

EEA wrote:Just finish reading the story. I couldn't feel sympathy for the protagonist. The story has some interesting elements though.
YES SPOIL EVERYTHUNG NOW PLEASE NOW PLEASE!!!!????? :D :D :D :D :D :D
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

Sam

Post by Sam » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:45 pm

Ssht, you better tell her. She might explode otherwise. :mrgreen:

Anyway, I'd like to know as well if its about those two.

EEA

Post by EEA » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:50 pm

I PM you guys already. :)

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:50 pm

Just finished reading it. Very well written story with an unexpected ending. Loved all the references to the past. 8-)
http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:22 pm

EEA wrote:I PM you guys already. :)
PM me! I'm wild to know!
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

seigezunt

Post by seigezunt » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:11 pm

dongregg wrote:
EEA wrote:I PM you guys already. :)
PM me! I'm wild to know!
Me too! Please!
"She can fly, she has amazing and horrifying powers, she isn’t exactly a boy or a girl, she can’t come inside unless she’s invited ... and she loves him. That’s enough."

--Andrew O'Hehir, Salon.com

My LTROI Pinterest Board

Sam

Post by Sam » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:45 pm

Don't tell everyone yet. Right now you are definitly the most popular guy on this board :lol:

EEA

Post by EEA » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:47 pm

:mrgreen: I am. :lol: :lol:

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:43 pm

Excellent story! In fact I love it! JAL does an excellent job of balancing out his own vampires with a bit of his own yin-yang. If I had to describe the relationship between the two main characters, it would have to be'symbiotic.' It's a bit more mystical than LTROI but doesn't quite contradict Canon, unless you examine the detailed characteristics of this vampire closely. The connection between this tale and LTODD is tenuous, but cleverly done. If indeed JAL meant for Eli and Oskar to be alive in this same world, there would be an excellent opportunity for him to write a complete novel about their -- perhaps darker-- future that might even satisfy all those who believe strongly that no sequel is meaningful, necessary, or possible. :o

(Where is Sauvin when we need him? A sequel in this vein would be right up his alley.) :D

(I cheated. I got the Kindle version.)
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:51 am

PeteMork wrote:Excellent story! In fact I love it! JAL does an excellent job of balancing out his own vampires with a bit of his own yin-yang. If I had to describe the relationship between the two main characters, it would have to be'symbiotic.' It's a bit more mystical than LTROI but doesn't quite contradict Canon, unless you examine the detailed characteristics of this vampire closely. The connection between this tale and LTODD is tenuous, but cleverly done. If indeed JAL meant for Eli and Oskar to be alive in this same world, there would be an excellent opportunity for him to write a complete novel about their -- perhaps darker-- future that might even satisfy all those who believe strongly that no sequel is meaningful, necessary, or possible. :o

(Where is Sauvin when we need him? A sequel in this vein would be right up his alley.) :D

(I cheated. I got the Kindle version.)
We know why JAL wrote LTODD -- to settle whether Oskar would be the new Håkan. Plus that he didn't drown at the pool. (Somebody characterized LTODD as "Where's Waldo?" Well, there he is in Karlstad, and there he is in Barcelona.) I get the idea the new short story might be more like some of our fan fictions -- refers to canonical elements, but is mostly tangential to LTROI.

BTW, I think LTODD is one of the best short stories ever. It was profoundly moving and very well put together.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Return to “Seize The Night”