A short review.

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Rörelsen
a_contemplative_life

Re: A short review.

Post by a_contemplative_life » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:52 am

metoo wrote:
a_contemplative_life wrote:Is this the same book?
Yes.

This weekend the Gothenburg Book Fair takes place. JAL appears several times in the programme, and I presume that article is based on what the journalist heard him say in one of those.

I deliberately made my "review" very short and superficial, mostly because a longer one would have to include references to the first book in the trilogy, which most members on this forum has no access to yet. But there is more to say, of course.

A note: Google translates "gårdshus" into "farm house". It should be courtyard house, a building that is in the back of a city lot, and which you enter via the courtyard behind the main or street house.
Thanks!

I wonder when/if it will be translated into English for us American folk...

StefL

Post by StefL » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:08 am

I'm about 25 pages short of finishing the book (got it for Christmas) and I have to say I'm impressed with JAL's ability to write a credible "autobiographical" story which is still obviously largely fiction. Interestingly though, he touches on the fact that the events described in this story is what mainly caused him to actually become a writer of horror fiction instead of being a magician/illusionist which was his initial career plan. He actually elaborates on the fact that he was bullied in school and had fantasies which he later turned into LTROI, and mentions some other events that occurred in his childhood that also affected his later storytelling.
It's also worth mentioning that Rörelsen is a kind of prequel to Himmelstrand - but they're not that closely related.

Lystrad

Post by Lystrad » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:35 am

I just finished this book and I must say thay I'm really impressed with it, it's written in a great narrative and it gives us a lot of questions answered about the events of "Himmelstrand". It's a bit different then most of John's other books, written in a more autobiographical style. I did not feel that the book had such a heavy emphasis on the horror as his other books, but more on the inner essence and entity of the human beeing as a whole. For me, this is his best book since "Harbour".

A must read for all of John's fans out there!

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:43 pm

Wow, Lystrad. Nice first post. Welcome, and I hope to read more of your posts. :)
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Drakeule

Post by Drakeule » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:56 pm

Best sence Harbour huh? That's quite some praise. I'd like to read it once it's translated into English.

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:33 pm

Jameron wrote:
johnajvide wrote:"Himmelstrand" (I am behind you) will be published by Quercus in England in the spring/summer of 2016, I´ve just been informed.
This is excellent news for the (as metoo puts it) linguistically challenged, such as myself. :D

Well it's Aug 2016 ... still waiting for an English translation... :think:

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

Drakeule

Post by Drakeule » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:04 pm

You can get the Australian english version of I am behind you from Book Depository. The translation is a bit off in spots though.

Lystrad

Post by Lystrad » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:22 am

dongregg wrote:Wow, Lystrad. Nice first post. Welcome, and I hope to read more of your posts. :)
thanks! this forum seems a little bit inactive but I'm happy to be here :) ! It's always good to have a place to reflect your thoughts and dive deeper into the world of John!

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:06 pm

Lystrad wrote:
dongregg wrote:Wow, Lystrad. Nice first post. Welcome, and I hope to read more of your posts. :)
thanks! this forum seems a little bit inactive but I'm happy to be here :) ! It's always good to have a place to reflect your thoughts and dive deeper into the world of John!
Yes, it's a good place for a civil discourse about whatever is related to LTROI and John's writings. Because there are so many topics, I think the posts of the most active members are spread out variously. I know that, as active as I am, there are two reasons why I don't post more. One is, I'm mostly active on Fan Fiction, and there are intervals of several months' duration until I post a new installment. The second reason is that a few of us spend more time sending and receiving personal messages than actually posting on the forum. I don't know why.

Please continue to share your thoughts. :)
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Drakeule wrote:You can get the Australian english version of I am behind you from Book Depository. The translation is a bit off in spots though.
A "bit off" as in; obviously Australian, or not an accurate translation from Swedish?

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

Return to “I Always Find You”