New update on the show

For discussion of A&E's television show Let The Right One In
Jameron

Re: New update on the show

Post by Jameron » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:53 pm

Drakeule wrote:But being darker than a pedophile killing kids to feed his beloved, castrated, vampire idol. Yeah. Good luck with that...
:lol: :lol:

Although, Håkan refused to kill kids, so that route is open for them if they want it.

My original guarded optimism (understanding that it's likely to be disappointing, but hoping to be proven wrong while avoiding a negative spiral of thoughts) is slipping with every update on this project.

It might be better to see this as a totally unrelated TV show, having a much lower bar to reach, regardless of how much they claim to be taking "from the book".

[sigh]

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

metoo

Post by metoo » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:23 pm

Jameron wrote:Although, Håkan refused to kill kids, so that route is open for them if they want it.
Well, my novel says:
En pojke i Oskars ålder hade blivit mördad i Vällingby igår.
A boy of Oskar's age hade been murdered in Vällingby yesterday. My translation.

That said, I would be very surprised if a paedophile Håkan character where to be included in this series. Or a love story involving a boy and another kid who once was one.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:02 pm

metoo wrote:
Jameron wrote:Although, Håkan refused to kill kids, so that route is open for them if they want it.
Well, my novel says:
En pojke i Oskars ålder hade blivit mördad i Vällingby igår.
A boy of Oskar's age hade been murdered in Vällingby yesterday. My translation.

That said, I would be very surprised if a paedophile Håkan character where to be included in this series. Or a love story involving a boy and another kid who once was one.
Hmmm, yeah. My memory was a tad selective. The part I was thinking about was...
"A child turned onto the path in front of him. A girl, maybe eight years old, walking home from school with her schoolbag bouncing against her hip. No, never! That was the limit. Not a child so young. Better him, then, until he fell to the ground dead."
So maybe yes, a child, but not a young child.

My apologies Drakeule.

And yes, I doubt there will be a paedophile character. Also, the vampire will be a girl, and a pretty one at that.

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

metoo

Post by metoo » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:02 am

Jameron wrote:Also, the vampire will be a girl, and a pretty one at that.
Well, at least that part would be close to the novel...
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:19 am

metoo wrote:
Jameron wrote:Also, the vampire will be a girl, and a pretty one at that.
Well, at least that part would be close to the novel...
That's true, but it's such an annoying trope in US tv, female protagonists are rarely anything other than good looking.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:12 am

With a series, one imagines that they might include Eli's backstory. That would certainly make it darker.

metoo

Post by metoo » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:49 am

a_contemplative_life wrote:With a series, one imagines that they might include Eli's backstory. That would certainly make it darker.
Hardly the mutilation part, though. However, that might not be too important, but its effects are. Will they make Eli androgynous?

epicfan84

Post by epicfan84 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:15 am

a_contemplative_life wrote:With a series, one imagines that they might include Eli's backstory. That would certainly make it darker.
That would be cool, but hopefully they don't screw it all up and add something to the universe that simply doesn't need to be added.
"Real love is to offer your life at the feet of another"

CyberGhostface

Post by CyberGhostface » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:10 am

Drakeule wrote:
CyberGhostface wrote: It's not that it was so different, it was just less. One of the reasons I like the movie so much is how close it is to the book. But, from what I gather, they want to take the concept but change the story. If they want to add to the story, that's one thing, but to change it is another.
Well the omissions do alter quite a bit. Hakan's pedophilia for example is a big one. If you haven't read the book for example you'll likely get a much different view of who he is and what his backstory is.

They pretty much have to change the story if they want to make it a series. I just don't think that it's necessarily a bad thing as long as the characters of Oskar and Eli are essentially true to what Lindqvist intended.
No banaaaanas?

Drakeule

Post by Drakeule » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:46 am

Guess we'll have to wait and see... Trust me. I'd love to be wrong on this.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Television Series)”