New update on the show

For discussion of A&E's television show Let The Right One In
seigezunt

Re: New update on the show

Post by seigezunt » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:08 pm

It's tricky. It dances on a razor's edge in terms of American attitudes about love and sex. The protagonists being 12 juust about makes it okay for it to inhabit a nonsexual love zone, but have the cast be any older, and there be dragons.
"She can fly, she has amazing and horrifying powers, she isn’t exactly a boy or a girl, she can’t come inside unless she’s invited ... and she loves him. That’s enough."

--Andrew O'Hehir, Salon.com

My LTROI Pinterest Board

Sam

Post by Sam » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:47 pm

I refer to the book, so Spoiler and so on.

I thought they have clearly a romantic relationship. Like being romantic partners, but of course without sex. The author made it clear that you get mentally stuck when you become a vampire (or become a vampire that young). Oskar showed interest in Tommies sex magazine but couldnt really grasp what he saw. He was too young. And Eli has some other issues. They have an asexuell relationship, but its far more than just friends. They cuddle, kiss and when Oscar sees himself through the eyes of eli and sees himself stronger, prettier and somehow cooler... well, that speaks alot about them. If THAT is the kind of friendsships you guys had, then I made some serious things wrong in my early life. ;)

The series cannot deliver such a thing, even if it is pay tv. There is a limit. Look at game of thrones and the reactions at some points. And those poor characters are all grown ups, not kids like in the books. Think of the US series "copper". There was a child prostitute and think about the million letters they certainly got, so that in season 2 this almost main character was degreaded to a third row character. I can understand that. There is even good reason to be very careful with that, although I am not american and have a lot less problems with that sort of thing. I_see_the_problem.

But the moment you make this story about people older than 12... the magic is gone. Its the perfect innocence of it, while at the same time being so incredibly intimate and incredibly despairing. Children being saved from their lonly ways towards the abyss, (romantic) love prevails in the middle of pure hopelessness and oceans of blood. That is unique. Children who are predators. Who kill for a living and I HAPPEN TO LIKE THEM! They run around killing my poor fellow humans and I think this is a Happy End!! I feel guilty about this. Really dirty. I know I should imagine being out there, hunting them with selfmade wooden sticks, but I'm happy for them. This is so twisted. I love it. I never read anything like this.

I have a special problem. I am "the bored guy". I love movies, I love series, I love books, I love stories. And I know them all. There were times, when friends and I went twice a week into the movie theater. That was such a great time for great movies. Brave Heart, Pulp Fiction, Forrest Gump. So many great movies. We went to movies I would nowadays not even mention, because I'd feel dirty (like the remake of the 1960 movie "the time machine"). I have no idea how many books I have read. THere were times I had 400 books in my bookcase and I often threw lots of the out and got new ones. I_know_stories. I know them all. In this year I might have watched 30 movies. 20 I might have stopped after 10 minutes, because I am bored. I love stories with a twist. Alternate realities. I almost can't watch other movies anymore. It's like every movie is a remake. That's why I only watch series.

And this story about Oscar and Eli... is not unique. New stories are rare, one could even argue that there no new stories. But some elements exchanged can make it worthwile. An orphan hero finding an old master, getting a magic sword and fighting against the old evil wizard and his armies? Great story. It's called Star Wars. ;) But it's rare. And this story is such a story.

The elements that make this story great are not compatible with a large audience. They cannot NOT destroy it. It's not even important if that was true or not. A screenshot of young Eli naked in Oscars bed is enough for most people to call the FCC or threaten to refuse further pay channel fees. You can try to explain that however you want. Child demon preying on your children in the playground in front of your house, doing weird things in their bedroom, killing people and your child helps. And the story makes the watcher think that is a good thing, because its done out of love?? Hah! They want to make a show that's even darker? How?? And why? Why would anyone risk a christian Mob with Assault Rifles hunting them through the streets :lol:

I mean, its not necassarily bad. They do something new with it. There are lots of nice things with vampires. I hated Twilight, but I loved True Blood. They had lots of fun making this series, they didn't take their stuff too serious, it was just fun. Nothing really new. Just nicely done and funny. It can be enough. A dark series about the friendship of a human and a vampire. Yeah, go for it. Make it interesting by adding new things. But its not this story. And more: When they go for the mass audience, then they will cut a lot controvery stuff out. They will make it in a way, that lots of people like it. And they usually like stuff, as I believe, infected people won't.

No, my advice is this: Cheer for any changing you hear about. The more they change, the more its something completely different and maybe something good.

Well, while writing this text developed its own dynamics. Its absolutely possible that is has nothing to do with the topic or my preposters. Actually I have forgotten what you wrote. I was in a rage ;) That needed so much to get out... frankly... I'm scared thinking about this series ;)

seigezunt

Post by seigezunt » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:34 pm

Fantastic post, Sam. I am in complete agreement. LTROI captured lightening in a bottle as it were, and the confluence of elements will just be impossible to reproduce, especially on American television.

That said, I eagerly anticipate the show, if nothing else but as a palimpsest of the original novel and film(s).
"She can fly, she has amazing and horrifying powers, she isn’t exactly a boy or a girl, she can’t come inside unless she’s invited ... and she loves him. That’s enough."

My LTROI Pinterest Board

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:57 pm

Nicely said, Sam. :D

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:22 pm

Rage on, Sam! Great post!
I'm scared thinking about this series ;)
I'm going to stand over here with the few members of the forum who are not thinking about the series. :D
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

epicfan84

Post by epicfan84 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:32 am

Well said, Sam. Very good points made. I'm just hoping they don't "MTV" this series up.
"Real love is to offer your life at the feet of another"

seigezunt

Post by seigezunt » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:30 pm

epicfan84 wrote:Well said, Sam. Very good points made. I'm just hoping they don't "MTV" this series up.
Now I keep imagining this as a "reality" show. Next week, on The Real World, a new roommate asks to be allowed in...

My LTROI Pinterest Board

Return to “Let The Right One In (Television Series)”