New update on the show

For discussion of A&E's television show Let The Right One In
Opeth

Re: New update on the show

Post by Opeth » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:41 am

dongregg wrote:Hi Opeth. You've been quiet. Are you cooking up some new music?
Hey there, I still come on here now & then - I am, hoping to release a few tracks at the end of the year. I've had bad writer's block off and on & it's just really me working on tunes by myself for now.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:51 pm

Opeth wrote:
dongregg wrote:Hi Opeth. You've been quiet. Are you cooking up some new music?
Hey there, I still come on here now & then - I am, hoping to release a few tracks at the end of the year. I've had bad writer's block off and on & it's just really me working on tunes by myself for now.
I hope the tunes start coming fast. I'm glad you posted and that you check in now and again.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

seigezunt

Post by seigezunt » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:37 pm

Well of course it has to be different. Thought it's pretty funny that he reads the book and decides it needs to be darker. Huh?

Anyhow, how could it be but different? And vis a vis the gender aspect, it's bloody unlikely that we would see anything approaching that on television of the America of today. Sure, there are token gay characters on American TV, but this? Not likely.
"She can fly, she has amazing and horrifying powers, she isn’t exactly a boy or a girl, she can’t come inside unless she’s invited ... and she loves him. That’s enough."

--Andrew O'Hehir, Salon.com

My LTROI Pinterest Board

Drakeule

Post by Drakeule » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:14 pm

I really, really hope they don't make it about anyone being gay. Eli is genderless, not gay. Oskar only thought Eli was a girl, and treated him as a freind after he found out. From what I took from the story is they are the best of freinds, not lovers.

epicfan84

Post by epicfan84 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:31 am

Drakeule wrote:I really, really hope they don't make it about anyone being gay. Eli is genderless, not gay. Oskar only thought Eli was a girl, and treated him as a freind after he found out. From what I took from the story is they are the best of freinds, not lovers.
PREACH.

+1 !!!!!
"Real love is to offer your life at the feet of another"

Mikallein

Post by Mikallein » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:03 am

Drakeule wrote:I really, really hope they don't make it about anyone being gay. Eli is genderless, not gay. Oskar only thought Eli was a girl, and treated him as a freind after he found out. From what I took from the story is they are the best of freinds, not lovers.

I totally get where you are coming from. I had that same thought while reading the book. But I could honestly go either way. In the movie it feels like they are kinda in a romance and most ff on this forum that I have read feature or imply romantic themes between the two.

metoo

Post by metoo » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:25 am

Mikallein wrote:I totally get where you are coming from. I had that same thought while reading the book. But I could honestly go either way. In the movie it feels like they are kinda in a romance and most ff on this forum that I have read feature or imply romantic themes between the two.
The way I see it (referring primarily to the novel), is that the relation between Oskar and Eli indeed is love. However, their love is not romantic, i.e. it has no sexual component. It is the love one you may find between siblings or very close friends.
Last edited by metoo on Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

Mikallein

Post by Mikallein » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:50 am

metoo wrote: The way I see it (referring primarily to the novel), is that the relation between Oskar and Eli indeed is love. However, their love is not romantic, i.e. it as not sexual component. It is the love one you may find between siblings or very close friends.
And I would be 100% on bored with that line of thinking if it was not for two things.

1. The kisses. Now I guess since we are talking about the book now this point is somewhat mute because you can argue the book kisses were mearly for sharing memories, but I think there is a possibility to argue it was more than that.

2. To me it makes perfect sense that two 12 year old kids (more or less) could have a romantic relationship without it being sexual in any way. I'm my mind you can have romance (or perhaps a better way to put it would be to say a 12 year olds version of romance) without the sexuality.

All the hints of a relationship, at least on Oskar's side are there. He buys Eli gifts, He wants to impress her, he asks her to go steady. And after he finds out that Eli is genderless, he then asks a teacher about being gay. Clearly Oskar is still wrestling with these feelings for Eli and trying to understand them.

Are those feelings the love of a best friend and sibling? Or is it something more?

Like I said, I could see it going either way. Saddly only an older Oskar could tell us for sure.

Drakeule

Post by Drakeule » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:53 am

I agree with you on that metoo. And I also see how the movie may put off a different vibe. I know allot of ff see them as a romance, and that's fine, it just leads to more interpretations and more great ff. But, that's only ok for the real fans to decide.

metoo

Post by metoo » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:04 am

Mikallein wrote:2. To me it makes perfect sense that two 12 year old kids (more or less) could have a romantic relationship without it being sexual in any way. I'm my mind you can have romance (or perhaps a better way to put it would be to say a 12 year olds version of romance) without the sexuality.
It all depends on what you mean with "romantic love". I would probably agree to your definition. Romanticism is about emotions. Romantic love, thus, would involve strong feelings, but not necessarily sex.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

Return to “Let The Right One In (Television Series)”