Interview with Producer of LTROI TV Series Jeff Davis

For discussion of A&E's television show Let The Right One In
seigezunt

Re: Interview with Producer of LTROI TV Series Jeff Davis

Post by seigezunt » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:25 pm

and who knows, we gender-switching being all in the news, here's hoping that element can stay. Hope against hope.
"She can fly, she has amazing and horrifying powers, she isn’t exactly a boy or a girl, she can’t come inside unless she’s invited ... and she loves him. That’s enough."

--Andrew O'Hehir, Salon.com

My LTROI Pinterest Board

cmfireflies

Post by cmfireflies » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:33 am

actually don't mind your worst case scenario too much. :D

And I think that best case scenario, at least the first half, has a shot. I doubt they will bother with being true to LTODD: I think that just wouldn't work as a series concept. It works in the short story, but frankly, do we really care about these people that much? They are a fine framing device, but…

I could see the plot of the novel getting stretched out, maybe even with a toned-down version of Zombie Hakkan. But, yeah, it's a pretty standard trope to put some tension between our lead characters, so I think the "is he still on Team Eli" bit is not just possible, but likely. And there characters are going to be older, I'm pretty sure. Which unfortunately will mean having to consider all the typical teenage stuff……..
Yeah, even the worst case scenario, I didn't want to torpedo the idea, the true worst case scenario is if they age up the kids. It won't even be the same story at that point.

My perspective is that for the worst case scenario, they take the cycle theory and run with it, and make Oskar's future bleak. My hope for any adaption is that they keep the core of the story, which to me is the fact that Oskar and Eli are happy together. There are so many stories about love gone wrong, all the way back to Romero and Juliet, what makes LtROI special for me is that Oskar and Eli never regret their choice; come hell or high water they'd always be for each other and won't have it any other way. I know that's probably not gonna happen with the TV series because angst is better drama, but I really don't want them to turn LtROI into a half-baked morality tale or tragedy; Oskar and Eli rejected society yes and usually society isn't kind to outsiders or rebels, I want them to be the one in a million that succeeds.
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

seigezunt

Post by seigezunt » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:33 pm

I agree, but I don't think it's likely. Drama needs, well, drama to make it interesting. Every story has to have some sort of conflict. No one watches a show about a happy couple. And why I think much of Eli and Oscar's story in Let the Old Dreams Die happens "offscreen." I think the author just grew too fond of his creations to bring them any suffering.
"She can fly, she has amazing and horrifying powers, she isn’t exactly a boy or a girl, she can’t come inside unless she’s invited ... and she loves him. That’s enough."

--Andrew O'Hehir, Salon.com

My LTROI Pinterest Board

cmfireflies

Post by cmfireflies » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:36 am

I know what you mean. My irrational hope remains that the drama of the TV series be from Eli and Oskar against the world and not each other. That realistically probably isn't going to happen.
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:36 am

cmfireflies wrote:I know what you mean. My irrational hope remains that the drama of the TV series be from Eli and Oskar against the world and not each other. That realistically probably isn't going to happen.
It might. It worked for the 'X' files. :D
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

epicfan84

Post by epicfan84 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:55 am

Another fear that crept in recently is that they might not even be named Oskar and Eli, but more American names such as in LMI... ehh...
"Real love is to offer your life at the feet of another"

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:49 pm

epicfan84 wrote:Another fear that crept in recently is that they might not even be named Oskar and Eli, but more American names such as in LMI... ehh...
That distance might turn out to be a blessing in disguise :lol:

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

CyberGhostface

Post by CyberGhostface » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:32 am

Again we'll see but at least we have someone who acknowledges the difference between something like Teen Wolf and LTROI. And this being on A&E and not MTV gives it a better chance for something adult.

Worst case scenario at least we can say this will be a new take on the source material as opposed to being a derivative knock off of the Swedish film.
No banaaaanas?

Return to “Let The Right One In (Television Series)”