Interview with Producer of LTROI TV Series Jeff Davis

For discussion of A&E's television show Let The Right One In
seigezunt

Re: Interview with Producer of LTROI TV Series Jeff Davis

Post by seigezunt » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:09 pm

Confirms my suspicions that this will be minus the magic that LTROI has, but it would be impossible to reproduce that, really. Sound like it will be a misfire in the way that LMI was, but probably decent in its own right.
"She can fly, she has amazing and horrifying powers, she isn’t exactly a boy or a girl, she can’t come inside unless she’s invited ... and she loves him. That’s enough."

--Andrew O'Hehir, Salon.com

My LTROI Pinterest Board

IDreamtIWasABee

Post by IDreamtIWasABee » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:00 pm

As long as they don't gut the queer out of Eli like the movies, it'll be okay.
Ursula was played by a boy in 1961. One day, Eli.

intrige

Post by intrige » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:48 pm

IDreamtIWasABee wrote:As long as they don't gut the queer out of Eli like the movies, it'll be okay.
Lovewins is a trend, maybe they don't. :)

I don't aim too high with this one anyhow..
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

cmfireflies

Post by cmfireflies » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:42 am

I take this to mean that the TV series will be about a human Oskar on the run with Eli and the raminfications of that. Which is OK, I suppose. A TV series is by nature more open ended than a book or movie. I guess the drama part will be Oskar dealing with the fallout from his decision, whether or not he really wants to stay with Eli.

I will eat my words and have much more respect for this production if it actually follows LtODD but I'm 99% sure that will never fly on US TV. I'll bet you anything that it will follow "Let Me In" more than the book, or even the movie. Plus, I don't believe that they actually have the rights to LtODD, so that might be a problem...
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

epicfan84

Post by epicfan84 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:27 am

Really wondering what the premise will be for this thing. Will it start at the very beginning when Eli moves in or continue from around where the movie left off?
Last edited by epicfan84 on Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Real love is to offer your life at the feet of another"

epicfan84

Post by epicfan84 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:28 am

cmfireflies wrote:I take this to mean that the TV series will be about a human Oskar on the run with Eli and the raminfications of that. Which is OK, I suppose. A TV series is by nature more open ended than a book or movie. I guess the drama part will be Oskar dealing with the fallout from his decision, whether or not he really wants to stay with Eli.

I will eat my words and have much more respect for this production if it actually follows LtODD but I'm 99% sure that will never fly on US TV. I'll bet you anything that it will follow "Let Me In" more than the book, or even the movie. Plus, I don't believe that they actually have the rights to LtODD, so that might be a problem...
No way it follows LtODD. Not enough source material for them to make a full season, and possibly more. They'll add alot of spin to it.

BurgerPrince

Post by BurgerPrince » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:08 pm

Pardon the pun, but if the producer's name is Jeff Davis, then does he have an associate producer named Rob E Lee?

In all seriousness, this seems interesting and I'll definitely check it out, but the thing is there wasn't enough material in LTROI to constitute a full TV Series. Maybe a mini-series, if they include every detail from the book. Maybe, as cmfireflies and epicfan84 talked about, it might explore what happens before, after, and spin off, but I don't really have a good feeling about that. The wonder of the book and movies was that it left what happened before and after to your imagination, and it's hard to recreate that. (Although I still think, to the discord of others on this thread, that LMI did that perfectly fine.)
...But if you meet a friendly horse, will you communicate by Morse?

cmfireflies

Post by cmfireflies » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:26 am

Let's play best case/ worst case scenario with the plot:

Best case:
The first few episodes are Let the Right One In in mini-series form, complete with zombie Hakan and Tommy. Midseason ends with the pool massacre. Second half of first season introduces Karin and starts the investigation into the massacre, with Karin developing her relationship with Stefan and Oskar on the run with Eli. Oskar and Eli can try to settle into another town, living as runaway children while trying to hide their killings. Throughout this, it is revealed that Eli still has a psychic connection with the vampire lord, a connection which is strengthened by Eli's turning of Oskar. Meanwhile Karin is looking into a history of bizarre murders and trying to catch/find Eli. The end season can be Eli meeting the vampire lord again and subsequently fleeing the country. Season 1 can end with Karin getting an anonymous tip as to the whereabouts of Eli and Oskar and evidence of their true nature.

I'd watch that.

Worse case.
The first few episodes are Let Me In in miniseries form, Eli does not turn Oskar after the pool massacre. Instead they run away together. Eli introduces Oskar to a whole underground subculture of vampires, with Oskar debating whether or not to remain human and whether or not he's strong enough to protect Eli. The season is interspaced with flash fowards showing an older and more distant Oskar flirting with a girl at a bar->teasing the audience about whether Oskar and Eli are still together. Meanwhile the season itself deals with Oskar's parents' efforts to find their son. They team up with a looney investigator with a drinking problem and a troubled past. Things come to a finale when the investigator finds Eli, but tries to kill her in revenge for some past wrong; Oskar once again saves Eli and runs away with her, thus completing his arc and discovering the importance of remaining human to protect Eli. In the future, it is revealed that Oskar was luring the girl to Eli so she can eat showing that Oskar has embraced his role as Reinfield. The season ends with older Oskar finding evidence of Eli's past companions and starting to doubt her feelings for him.

Interesting to see which of the two is closer to the final thing.
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

epicfan84

Post by epicfan84 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:35 am

I will also partake in Best Case/Worst Case. Thanks for the idea cmfireflies :D

Best case: The story is the most important part of the show, and the gore and horror-ish parts are kept to a minimum. They are only used too add effect to what Eli is and what she must do, not to just creep out the audience. The whole season stays at least somewhat true to the canon, and never tries to jump the shark. Cliffhangers are not present, and the ending is acceptable to casul viewers and infected alike. The show is so good that even more people become infected and join our wonderful community.

Worst Case: The gore and killing is accentuated and used to simply draw in viewers by using it in commercials for the show. Pretty much like LMI as cmfireflies stated before. I remember a few years back and I knew nothing about LtROI and a commercial for LMI came on and I assumed it to be the run if the mill 2010s horror flick. This is specifically what we don't want. The show strays completely away from the original story and ends up not making much sense towards the end, filled with plot holes. I for ome think we'd all hate to see Oskar as an actual human while he's in any type of relationship with Eli. That would just kill me as it ruins the entire theme of LtROI. The ending sucks as we never get to see how thr season is resolved, and the show is cancelled after one season.

Once again this show could be a hit. It could also disappoint many. Honestly hope it's the first one and that we get a satisfying addition to the already awesome LtROI universe.

seigezunt

Post by seigezunt » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:23 pm

cmfireflies wrote:Let's play best case/ worst case scenario with the plot:

Best case:
The first few episodes are Let the Right One In in mini-series form, complete with zombie Hakan and Tommy. Midseason ends with the pool massacre. Second half of first season introduces Karin and starts the investigation into the massacre, with Karin developing her relationship with Stefan and Oskar on the run with Eli. Oskar and Eli can try to settle into another town, living as runaway children while trying to hide their killings. Throughout this, it is revealed that Eli still has a psychic connection with the vampire lord, a connection which is strengthened by Eli's turning of Oskar. Meanwhile Karin is looking into a history of bizarre murders and trying to catch/find Eli. The end season can be Eli meeting the vampire lord again and subsequently fleeing the country. Season 1 can end with Karin getting an anonymous tip as to the whereabouts of Eli and Oskar and evidence of their true nature.

I'd watch that.

Worse case.
The first few episodes are Let Me In in miniseries form, Eli does not turn Oskar after the pool massacre. Instead they run away together. Eli introduces Oskar to a whole underground subculture of vampires, with Oskar debating whether or not to remain human and whether or not he's strong enough to protect Eli. The season is interspaced with flash fowards showing an older and more distant Oskar flirting with a girl at a bar->teasing the audience about whether Oskar and Eli are still together. Meanwhile the season itself deals with Oskar's parents' efforts to find their son. They team up with a looney investigator with a drinking problem and a troubled past. Things come to a finale when the investigator finds Eli, but tries to kill her in revenge for some past wrong; Oskar once again saves Eli and runs away with her, thus completing his arc and discovering the importance of remaining human to protect Eli. In the future, it is revealed that Oskar was luring the girl to Eli so she can eat showing that Oskar has embraced his role as Reinfield. The season ends with older Oskar finding evidence of Eli's past companions and starting to doubt her feelings for him.

Interesting to see which of the two is closer to the final thing.
I actually don't mind your worst case scenario too much. :D

And I think that best case scenario, at least the first half, has a shot. I doubt they will bother with being true to LTODD: I think that just wouldn't work as a series concept. It works in the short story, but frankly, do we really care about these people that much? They are a fine framing device, but…

I could see the plot of the novel getting stretched out, maybe even with a toned-down version of Zombie Hakkan. But, yeah, it's a pretty standard trope to put some tension between our lead characters, so I think the "is he still on Team Eli" bit is not just possible, but likely. And there characters are going to be older, I'm pretty sure. Which unfortunately will mean having to consider all the typical teenage stuff……..
"She can fly, she has amazing and horrifying powers, she isn’t exactly a boy or a girl, she can’t come inside unless she’s invited ... and she loves him. That’s enough."

--Andrew O'Hehir, Salon.com

My LTROI Pinterest Board

Return to “Let The Right One In (Television Series)”