Interview with Producer of LTROI TV Series Jeff Davis

For discussion of A&E's television show Let The Right One In
abner_mohl

Interview with Producer of LTROI TV Series Jeff Davis

Post by abner_mohl » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:45 am

Davis claims the television series will be more faithful to the book, which is a line I think we've been fed before during the making of LMI:

Jeff Davis Talks Teen Wolf Season 5 and More
http://collider.com/teen-wolf-season-5- ... interview/
You’re also working on the Let the Right One In TV series. After breathing new life into the werewolf genre with your fresh approach to Teen Wolf, are you looking to do the same thing with vampires now?

DAVIS: The thing I love about Let the Right One In is that it’s kind of a story told from the perspective of Renfield. It is the caretaker of the vampire. And it’s also a very young love story. What Let the Right One In is going to be is a very different type of show from Teen Wolf. It’s going to be much more adult, and probably quite a bit scarier and darker. One of the differences between the two projects is that Teen Wolf was a classic movie, but it’s not exactly considered artistic and beautiful, and the kind of film that would win awards. Let the Right One In, the film, is. There is a lot to live up to when adapting that. It’s quite a challenge to adapt a film that’s so respected, but one of the things we’re also doing is taking a lot from the book, which goes very much in-depth. It wasn’t actually until I read the book that I thought to myself, “Okay, I think this can be a TV show.”

intrige

Re: Interview with Producer of LTROI TV Series Jeff Davis

Post by intrige » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:11 pm

Oh my goood this is what we all ahve been waitng for! Let's hope Teen wolf doesn't influence anything!
Did JAL give this guy the right or what?
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

metoo

Post by metoo » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:16 pm

intrige wrote:Did JAL give this guy the right or what?
Yes, sort of, although he didn't know it at the time...
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:01 pm

DAVIS: The thing I love about Let the Right One In is that it’s kind of a story told from the perspective of Renfield. It is the caretaker of the vampire. And it’s also a very young love story. What Let the Right One In is going to be is a very different type of show from Teen Wolf. It’s going to be much more adult, and probably quite a bit scarier and darker.
But, who does Davis think represents Renfield? Håkan, I suppose, but I thought the book and film were from Oskar's perspective. Even mentioning Renfield implies that the story will have elements of Count Dracula's world. Will Eli be the kind of vampire she says she isn't? If Eli is to have Dracula's supernatural powers, how much of 12-year-old human Eli will survive?

Well, Davis' words didn't allay my misgivings about how the series will play out, but then, I would probably be leery of it regardless of what Davis said. Remember what Matt Reeves said about LMI -- it would be an adaptation of the book. But many saw it as an almost shot-for-shot remake of the film. In this postproduction discussion, Reeves sort of covers himself by saying that many scenes in JAL's script of LTROI are verbatim from the novel:

http://www.indielondon.co.uk/Film-Revie ... -interview

So we'll see what turns out in the TV series, regardless of what the director says it will be. Or I should say, "Some of you will see..." I doubt that I will see any of it.

But that's just me.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

epicfan84

Post by epicfan84 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:09 pm

dongregg wrote:
DAVIS: The thing I love about Let the Right One In is that it’s kind of a story told from the perspective of Renfield. It is the caretaker of the vampire. And it’s also a very young love story. What Let the Right One In is going to be is a very different type of show from Teen Wolf. It’s going to be much more adult, and probably quite a bit scarier and darker.
But, who does Davis think represents Renfield? Håkan, I suppose, but I thought the book and film were from Oskar's perspective. Even mentioning Renfield implies that the story will have elements of Count Dracula's world. Will Eli be the kind of vampire she says she isn't? If Eli is to have Dracula's supernatural powers, how much of 12-year-old human Eli will survive?

Well, Davis' words didn't allay my misgivings about how the series will play out, but then, I would probably be leery of it regardless of what Davis said. Remember what Matt Reeves said about LMI -- it would be an adaptation of the book. But many saw it as an almost shot-for-shot remake of the film. In this postproduction discussion, Reeves sort of covers himself by saying that many scenes in JAL's script of LTROI are verbatim from the novel:

http://www.indielondon.co.uk/Film-Revie ... -interview

So we'll see what turns out in the TV series, regardless of what the director says it will be. Or I should say, "Some of you will see..." I doubt that I will see any of it.

But that's just me.
I agree with dongregg on this one. I'm just hoping they try to focus on the story and not the visuals and horror like in LMI. That will end in disappointment for the infected.
"Real love is to offer your life at the feet of another"

JToede

Post by JToede » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:30 pm

I feel it's going to turn out as either a Scooby Doo gang fighting monsters, or some weird "Twin Peaks" style chronicle of Eli and Oskar narrated by some version of "Renfield".
Swing and a miss.
Veni, Vidi, volo in domum redire.

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:09 pm

dongregg wrote:But, who does Davis think represents Renfield? Håkan, I suppose, but I thought the book and film were from Oskar's perspective. Even mentioning Renfield implies that the story will have elements of Count Dracula's world. Will Eli be the kind of vampire she says she isn't? If Eli is to have Dracula's supernatural powers, how much of 12-year-old human Eli will survive?
This was exactly my thought process whilst reading that response from Davis. Sadly, I can see that Davis has probably taken the same view as Reeves when it comes to Oskar and Håkan, and so poor Oskar will be tasked with the weekly drudgery of finding hapless victims for Eli.

Also, does "It’s going to be much more adult, and probably quite a bit scarier and darker" mean that the protagonists are also going to be more adult? Well, 'teens' are more adult than twelve year olds, aren't they?

I really don't know what to think, it could sound ghastly on paper but be perfectly acceptable on screen, and vice versa. I guess only time will tell.

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

EEA

Post by EEA » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:35 pm

I think that it could be a good tv adaptation. Some of my favorite shows are remakes of other stories. Just going to have to wait and see.

JToede

Post by JToede » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:54 pm

EEA wrote:I think that it could be a good tv adaptation. Some of my favorite shows are remakes of other stories. Just going to have to wait and see.
Hopefully we will be surprised, the planets and stars will align, the clouds will part and a beam light will fall from the heavens and our screens will glow with exuberant awesomeness of Eli and Oskar and we will cry with joy.
Veni, Vidi, volo in domum redire.

epicfan84

Post by epicfan84 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:27 pm

I've said this before but a good thing that could come out of this even if the show sucks would be that it could attract more users to the infected community. The more the merrier.
"Real love is to offer your life at the feet of another"

Return to “Let The Right One In (Television Series)”