A&E Remaking 'Let the Right One In'

For discussion of A&E's television show Let The Right One In
gymmy64

Re: A&E Remaking 'Let the Right One In'

Post by gymmy64 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:23 pm

Huh. I remember walking out of St. Ann’s Warehouse a few weeks ago and thinking how cool it was that a novel released in 2004 had, in a little over a decade, managed to spawn two film versions and a stage adaptation. So now John’s story will be made into a television series---has all of this ever happened before in such a short period of time?

My heart sank when I saw that Showtime was in the running for the rights. I only watch a handful of series regularly, and all of them are either on Showtime or HBO. After seeing what Showtime did with Penny Dreadful, I would have felt much more optimistic about the project, and the two series might have been a good match had they chosen to show them on the same night. At the very least, Showtime could have (and has) gone where A&E cannot hope to tread in terms of the more provocative material from the novel.

It will be interesting to see who is cast in the lead roles. If this is meant to be an ongoing series, how do you deal with a child vampire in such a project other than by casting the “child” with a young adult? I hope they are aware that they will need to find amazing actors to play Eli and Oskar, regardless of the actors’ actual ages, for this thing to even have a hope of succeeding.

I think Nightrider made a good point. If the creative team behind this project love the material and/or have a connection with the story, then the series just might have a fighting chance of being special, or at least interesting. If it’s just a work for hire for those involved, well…hopefully in that case the show ends up just being mediocre, instead of downright awful.

I suppose I’ll have no choice but to check the series out. I once said that even if Bollywood made a version of LTROI with Oskar and Eli singing and skipping hand in hand down the streets of Mumbai I’d still watch it, so I suppose I can’t turn my nose up at this. 

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:49 pm

gymmy64 wrote:...My heart sank when I saw that Showtime was in the running for the rights. I only watch a handful of series regularly, and all of them are either on Showtime or HBO. After seeing what Showtime did with Penny Dreadful, I would have felt much more optimistic about the project, and the two series might have been a good match had they chosen to show them on the same night. At the very least, Showtime could have (and has) gone where A&E cannot hope to tread in terms of the more provocative material from the novel...
ShowTime has one of the all-time funny and engaging series -- "Shameless." Unfortunately, the wifey made a "better deal" with our provider and ShowTime went away. But I am so with you that ShowTime could have done something bold with LTROI.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:17 pm

Ash wrote:But what will kill all hope is pointed out by BravoHotel - actors will way too old for the roles - think Judy Garland as Dorothy Gale, or Dominique Swain as Lolita -epic fails.
What the . . .? :think: Judy Garland as Dorothy Gale was an epic fail for you, but not for me. ;)

More better: Mary Martin as Peter Pan, or Maria von Trapp. Not just too old, but down right elderly.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

Ash

Post by Ash » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:55 am

Baum's Dorothy is 9 years old. Judy Garland was just short of 17 when filming ended, she had to wear a corset and her breasts had to be bound to flatten them.
Mutton, albeit young mutton, dressed as lamb you could say.
I suppose one could accept someone in their late teens speaking and acting as a nine year old, and prancing around with her little dog might work on some level, but for me it was ridiculous.
The gap between say 30 and 40 in minimal, but there a million miles between 9 and 16.
This is why both film adaptations of Nobokov's Lolita have failed so badly. Sue Lyon and Dominique Swain, despite their best efforts, couldn't possibly pass themselves off as anything remotely near a 12 year old.
Without the right casting the essence and intrinsic point of the message becomes entirely unconvincing, and at worst descends into parody.

Daniel Ether

Post by Daniel Ether » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:41 pm

I was really surprised when i read about this project :shock:
I know nearly nothing about A&E or about teenwolf but what i read here didn't sound very good :)

i think it would be strange if they make a series with multiple seasons... :think: like the posts of you befour said, how will they cast the part of Eli for a show that runs multiple years? :think: :shock:
i could think of a miniseries like gattoparde59 said. maybe like "top of the lake". one season with like 12 or 13 episodes.

I have to say, i for my part, i'm kind of curious what they will make out of the book, albeit my hopes are not very high... :?
like many of you said... we just have to await the final thing.

PS.: for some reason i thought about this tread:
http://www.let-the-right-one-in.com/for ... bli#p91738
I would still love to she the original story adapted by studio ghibli :) :wub:

Hassildor

Post by Hassildor » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:04 pm

Wow, I wish I could say that I was excited for this project. At least we got a fantastic play this year to balance it out a little.

Who knows though, it could be entertainingly bad. It certainly can’t ruin the original novel and film. I could see it being kind of fun to watch a train wreck of a LTROI series, just to see how far it could fall from the source material. I’d obviously prefer something good, but I’m honestly not holding out too much hope for that…
Daniel Ether wrote:PS.: for some reason i thought about this tread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6530&p=91741&hilit=studio+ghibli#p91738
I would still love to she the original story adapted by studio ghibli
I actually thought about that too when I first heard the news about the A&E TV series. Why couldn't we have gotten something promising like a Ghibli adaptation? :| Oh well, at least this might expose a lot more people to the source material.

gary13136

Post by gary13136 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:15 pm

Just one more reason why I hardly ever watch TV anymore. :| :| :|
One example of democracy in action is 5 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.--Anonymous

CyberGhostface

Post by CyberGhostface » Thu May 14, 2015 2:20 am

Regarding Showtime:

They have a very bad habit of keeping shows well past their expiration date; Weeds for example should have ended a lot sooner than it did and it was basically beating a dead horse by the end.

Honestly I don't really see why this would need a premium channel at this point unless they planned on delving into the pedophilia/child castration aspects. In terms of gore you can just see what goes on with Hannibal over at NBC, if anything it's more graphic than the films. Bates Motel is also pretty dark and uncomfortable with its subject matter.

My main issues are just that I don't think a story like this would lend itself to multiple seasons and how you would account for kids growing up.

I am less enthused that they didn't contact JAL about this but I wouldn't expect much different from Oakes and co.
No banaaaanas?

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Thu May 14, 2015 11:24 pm

A LTROI fan expresses concern about this TV series adventure. ;)

http://lycaeon.blogspot.com/2015/04/a-a ... ne-in.html

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Fri May 15, 2015 12:00 am

I love it when they use my images..... :D
http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

Return to “Let The Right One In (Television Series)”