A&E Remaking 'Let the Right One In'

For discussion of A&E's television show Let The Right One In
Sven_

Re: A&E Remaking 'Let the Right One In'

Post by Sven_ » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:30 pm

Turning this very specific kind of drama into something that runs over the course of a series, seasons, perhaps, will inevitably have to lead to something entirelly different altogether. At least, if it is supposed to work. What makes the original conflict and story tick it's not that it's a never-ending series of "a kid and his vampire friend" overcoming obstacles in a typically serialized narrative, but rather this specific outlook on this specific timeframe. The movie could have probably gone forever, with the possibility of Eli turning Oskar literally so, actually, but it didn't. What was there to tell was told. Think Terminator when it actually was completely franchialized and taken to the future that used to be but a backdrop in the original story: Even if the fourth film had been a better movie, the interesting conflict was never that future in the first place, it was the entire robot killer from the future schtick, time paradoxons, clash of technologies wildly apart and all.

Saw the news about this yesterday too, and I've never been deeply into series anyway. They offer interesting kind of narratives not common in movies, and I'm aware of that. At its best this can turn into something interesting in and on itself, and in my opinion it has to (see above). At its worst this is going to be something that you'll ignore outright and not bother with all the debates about what's "canon" and what's not – another thing that is inevitable to happen when an original idea turns fully-fledged franchise (as a fan of the Alien movies, I can safely laugh at the Alien vs Predator nonsense, for instance). :mrgreen: There is a cynic in me thinking that this likely came about when it was realized that there is something left to milk the entire vampire hype for -- and broken down to a plot synopsis, Let The Right One In sounds similar to Twilight enough. Still, nothing to lose for anyone, safe the authors and makers of the originals, depending on where this goes. Evenso, even if this will turn out to be lacking, considering the rave critics, everybody will be eager to point out that this was originally based on something good.
Last edited by Sven_ on Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

EEA

Post by EEA » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:31 pm

I still think it could be a good show. Just have to see which direction they decide to take.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:42 pm

Metoo has requested that we move this discussion to here. Thanks, metoo.
Mendora wrote:http://io9.com/a-e-turning-let-the-righ ... 1692009337

just heard about the project yesterday...

personally, i have kind of some mix feeling about this one.
for me LOTR is a very complete and accomplish narrative in itself,
no matter how much i love it i never yearn for a complete sequel.
(LTODD is kind of a very pleasant bonus.)

but as for the alternative narrative: that is where the mix feeling come in...
honestly, any alternative take on the "story" is always interesting and intriguing.
yet very risky... it's the story that we all know and love after all.
(would it worth taking the risk?
would it be better if we just left the work alone?
since the original story is... at least for me. very apex.
and let's we not-never-ever mention that Dark Horse's abomination ever again.)

but... oh, well, i guess i will do just like JAL -- just cooling myself and wait to see how it will turnout,
(i guess after all this years he does come to term with how people keep draging his "personal story" around already...)

And if nothing else -- just the fact that the story still alive and being around after more than a decade later is very fascinating, : )
You have a good take on this somewhat distressing development. As you point out, we already have the complete and accomplished narratives. Nothing can screw that up or change it in any way. If we take each iteration of LTROI to be a separate entity, which is how I view the novel (which I haven't read) and our film, then it's very easy to ignore the awful and exploitative attempts to cash in on it. Each attempt is what it is, and we can judge it as we wish, but the core LTROI experience for us remains whole.

That said, I'm nevertheless happy (experiencing a frisson from my feeling of Schadenfreude :twisted:) that the attempts don't always pay off. Taking IMDb's figures, LMI cost 20 something million and brought in 11 million at the box office. I suppose other cash streams were substantial, and from what many say, LMI may have deserved better, but I'll never know because I'll never see it. From what I read, it was just a classy-looking cash grab that had nothing to commend it to we who love Eli and Oskar so much.

Anyway, Mendora, thanks for weighing in on this topic. I enjoy your thoughtful posts and look forward to reading more of them.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

StrayAway

Post by StrayAway » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:50 pm

Okay. Now we've got the soothing balm of Siv. Whew. You know, Nightrider's just wandering around repeating something about it's all just a horrible dream, maybe, and he's got a couple other people doing it, so that's getting a little scary, and he's supposed to be a moderator, which explains why we have four or five of them, I reckon, and Gracie's sitting at the front door with a rope and a gas can and directions to A&E's headquarters stuck under her collar, I guess she printed off Yahoo Maps, and Don Gregg charged me 7 dollars for a little paper Dixie Cup of grape Kool-Aid, but it was supposed to be cherry, so he took it away from me, poured half of it out and wrote cHEery on it and told me to take my little ass somewhere and drink it and be glad I got it because little Alabama children didn't even have cups and didn't deserve them. I hope somebody brings some pot in here or something soon. I'm getting back in the bath tub.
"I am afraid of clowns. I hate their empty eyes and fake smiles." - (Lina Leandersson, Little White Lies interview)

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:19 pm

StrayAway wrote:Okay. Now we've got the soothing balm of Siv. Whew. You know, Nightrider's just wandering around repeating something about it's all just a horrible dream, maybe, and he's got a couple other people doing it, so that's getting a little scary, and he's supposed to be a moderator, which explains why we have four or five of them, I reckon, and Gracie's sitting at the front door with a rope and a gas can and directions to A&E's headquarters stuck under her collar, I guess she printed off Yahoo Maps, and Don Gregg charged me 7 dollars for a little paper Dixie Cup of grape Kool-Aid, but it was supposed to be cherry, so he took it away from me, poured half of it out and wrote cHEery on it and told me to take my little ass somewhere and drink it and be glad I got it because little Alabama children didn't even have cups and didn't deserve them. I hope somebody brings some pot in here or something soon. I'm getting back in the bath tub.
Kafka, move over. :D
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:35 pm

And yet, even after all our sniping, most of us will be drawn to this like a moth to a flame. ;)
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

ElisLove

Post by ElisLove » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:34 pm

PeteMork wrote:And yet, even after all our sniping, most of us will be drawn to this like a moth to a flame. ;)
You're right.

I've said it here somewhere too, I just discovered LTROI indirectly thanks to LMI. Then I think that not have problem to their create new movies or series based on Oskar & Eli.

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:58 pm

Unfortunately happy thoughts and good vibes will not change the fact that the people behind this project, responsible for some of the most unwatchable scripted television ever created. Number of quality TV programs produced in US can be barely counted on the fingers of both hands and until I am proven otherwise, I'll remain skeptical of this show's value and doubtful of the production team's intention to deliver a creation worthy of it's original source.
In the end it's completely irrelevant whether those who hesitant to beat the drum of celebration for this new TV monstrocity will watch A&E's take on LTROI. What's more important is the thought process behind the scenes. Are they going to try and make a good show or is it just another attempt to capture specific target audience and squeeze as much gold as they can out of currently hot property.
http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

abner_mohl

Post by abner_mohl » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:03 pm

I'm afraid that Eli will wind up being another CW grade actress instead of someone faithful to JAL's version. Obviously not looking like Chloe Moretz at 12, but Chloe Moretz at 18. And Oskar will probably be cast likewise too, probably too good looking to be believable as a bullied young person.

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:13 pm

Maybe we should have a contest in which anyone interested writes down their top 5 predictions as to what is likely to happen in this new 'series.' i.e. age of actors, story lines, quality of dialog, demographic, etc. :twisted:

I'm not sure what the prize should be for whoever gets the most right. :think:
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

Return to “Let The Right One In (Television Series)”