What to expect from this show?

For discussion of A&E's television show Let The Right One In
Milkman

What to expect from this show?

Post by Milkman » Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:22 pm

What can I expect from it? I know for a fact (from some comments here and there) that it doesn't follow through on several aspects from the original story.

What is you analysis? How are you taking it? Enjoying it or no? What aspects are you enjoying or not?

What are the biggest differences between the Original Story and this one?

Another question I absolutely need to ask: How is the "Vampiric Disease" being treated? ... I'm scared it's getting treated like in most movies where it's almost as if the person now simply drinks blood and can't go out in the day, but other than that the person simply lives life in a normal manner. Is that the case?
I must be gone and live, or stay and die.

Siggdalos

Re: What to expect from this show?

Post by Siggdalos » Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:20 pm

I would say that one should not go into it expecting it to be an adaptation of LTROI, at all. It's better to think of it as a story loosely inspired by LTROI. You'll recognize parts of it as being LTROI, but large portions of the show are about subplots and characters that were invented just for the show. Personally speaking, I'm enjoying it for what it is, I think it deals with some interesting themes in its own way, and I'm invested in seeing how it ends. I might even go so far as to say that I like it. It's a very different take on the story, one that's trumped by the book and by TA's film in almost every way, but I do think it's done largely out of genuine respect for the original story. My main complaints are that the CGI and dialogue are often not that good (but the latter is mostly saved by the actors' performances), there's some excessive violence and gore in the horror scenes, and there are a number of times where they try to do a direct callback to a scene from the original and it ends up feeling like a shallow copy, at least IMO.
Milkman wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:22 pm
What are the biggest differences between the Original Story and this one?
The most obvious is that there's a completely different dynamic between and focus on the Eli equivalent (Eleanor) and her helper (Mark), since Mark is her biological father and their backstories are very different from Elias and Håkan. For the most part, the show is split between that, the relationship between Eleanor and Isaiah (Oskar), the police side (in this version, Naomi—Isaiah's mother—is a homicide detective), and a new subplot with new characters (Claire and Peter) focusing on the medical side and the search for a cure. The gender identity theme from the book is absent, since Eleanor is biologically female in this one. Religion also plays a big role, since Mark is a devout Catholic. There are no Lacke, Virginia, or Tommy equivalents.
Milkman wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:22 pm
Another question I absolutely need to ask: How is the "Vampiric Disease" being treated? ... I'm scared it's getting treated like in most movies where it's almost as if the person now simply drinks blood and can't go out in the day, but other than that the person simply lives life in a normal manner. Is that the case?
No. A major focus on the show is to explore the nature of the infection and the effect it has on both its victims (Eleanor and Peter) and the people around them. I would say that the disease is treated similar to how it is in the book—the main difference being that the plot's main driving force is to look for a cure, something that's never brought up as a possibility in the book.
Last edited by Siggdalos on Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

Milkman

Post by Milkman » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:01 pm

How come I knew it would be you answering my question, Siggdalos? xD
We haven't talked for a while, now. I hope everything's alright with you :)

So, I just finished the first episode. I wasn't planning on watching right after making the post, but I had the time and so I did. I must say I really enjoyed it! The actor who plays Isaiah is doing an amazing job, in my opinion, I actually feel really bad for the bullying he's suffering. Usually the characters never really find a way to make me sad, but there's something about his character that's saddening. The way he's looking for connections and bondings everywhere he can ... it's moving.
Siggdalos wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:20 pm
(...) and there are a number of times where they try to do a direct callback to a scene from the original and it ends up feeling like a shallow copy, at least IMO.
Yeah, when Eleanor was barefoot on top of the tree, and Isaiah saw her and asked if she was cold, I must admit I felt a bit weird. But I can't really say if it's because I feel like Eleanor's answer was badly delivered, or if the question itself just felt too much straight out of nowhere (even though in a normal situation it would be normal to ask). Maybe I'm overthinking it.

I'm quite excited to watch the rest! Do expect more questions, probably. Thank you for answering, as always.

CyberGhostface

Post by CyberGhostface » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:11 pm

My main issue is how Hammer tricked Lindqvist into giving away the rights for nothing and he’s not being paid at all for this.

Beyond that the show is enjoyable as long as you don’t expect a faithful adaptation. I wasn’t expecting one and I think I prefer something different as opposed to another copy/paste of the Swedish film.
No banaaaanas?

Milkman

Post by Milkman » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:11 pm

CyberGhostface wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:11 pm
My main issue is how Hammer tricked Lindqvist into giving away the rights for nothing and he’s not being paid at all for this.
Yeah, before even starting watching the series I was already disliking it because of that.

However, I have now watched all available episodes and so far I'm loving everything about it : the plot, the characters, the actors themselves - everything.

Just a shame it had to go down that way with JAL, he deserved more, way more.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Television Series)”