John Ajvide Lindqvist tricked into selling the television rights for one kroner

For discussion of A&E's television show Let The Right One In
CyberGhostface

John Ajvide Lindqvist tricked into selling the television rights for one kroner

Post by CyberGhostface » Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:16 pm

https://sweden.postsen.com/live-style/4 ... roner.html

I like the show but this is awful how they treated him. First duping him with the comic and now this. Hammer really is sleazy.

Edit: More here in Swedish.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/ ... r-en-krona#
When Aftonbladet reaches John Ajvide Lindqvist, he points out that he received compensation for the film rights. But in connection with the film, he was given another contract to sign.

“There were thick bundles of American legal prose. And that would then mean that I sold all the rights for a penny, but that was just a mere formality and would have no practical meaning, they said.

Since he had already been paid for the film, he gullibly signed on. It was only a few years later that it emerged that the contract he had signed at the time would prove to have practical significance. At least when it came to the TV series based on his book.
- They could do what they wanted and not pay me anything, says John Ajvide Lindqvist.
What did you think when you realized what had happened?
- It got cold in the stomach. Just the fact that they can basically do whatever they want.
Can you somehow cancel the contract or try to get compensation afterwards?
- I doubt that. You think they could pay me a percentage out of pure goodwill. Now I have an agent and they scrutinize all contracts so that won't happen now. But they have tried to check that, because everything is so very strange. But it is difficult to get hold of those responsible.
Have you given up hope of getting money for the TV series?
- I don't know, those responsible must answer. But I'm not made for bitterness. It's sad, but it's not something that I go and gnaw at on a daily basis.
No banaaaanas?

Siggdalos

Re: John Ajvide Lindqvist tricked into selling the television rights for one kroner

Post by Siggdalos » Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:07 pm

Aftonbladet wrote:- It turned out that I, through this, had sold off all the rights. So I haven't had anything to do with it [the show], which feels a little sour, it's my name, it's my book. The only part I've seen is the trailer, it includes some things from the book and then the rest is generic vampire nonsense.
Welp. I was actually curious if he was watching the show or not, so I guess that answers that. (Granted, the article is from early October.)

He recently mentioned this whole incident on the podcast Vargtimmen, where he also mentioned that Showtime didn't even give him a call or anything to tell him that they were making the show. He only first heard about it at the same time as everyone else. A little bit dickish if you ask me, considering how the showrunners claim that the series is made as some kind of respectful love letter to the original story.

(Unrelated: I feel the need to point out that the plural of krona is kronor, not kroner. In this case it should be krona, since it's singular. I know you didn't write the article title, but still.)

CyberGhostface

Re: John Ajvide Lindqvist tricked into selling the television rights for one kroner

Post by CyberGhostface » Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:15 pm

The show itself isn't that bad. It has more to do with the original story than the trailers let on (I.E. the Oskar character is barely in the trailers but he's one of the leads and the relationship between the two kids is the heart of the show.)

But yeah this really puts a sour taste in my mouth and just further validates my suspicions of Hammer that I've had since Let Me In. I'm reminded of how DC treated Alan Moore with Watchmen but this is even worse. DC got greedy later on but Hammer was swindling Lindqvist from the getgo.

And the thing is, wouldn't you *want* Lindqvist on your side? Maybe he could have even written an episode or two like George R.R. Martin did with Game of Thrones.
No banaaaanas?

Return to “Let The Right One In (Television Series)”