Let the Right One In episode-by-episode discussion

For discussion of A&E's television show Let The Right One In
Siggdalos

Re: Let the Right One In episode-by-episode discussion

Post by Siggdalos » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:11 pm

So, E10, then.

I'm not sure what to say about it. I think that, for me, it feels a bit too fast and messy in the way things develop with Mark, Ellie, Claire, and Peter, but that's more of a gut feeling than a real complaint. I like the episode overall and the way everything comes crashing down makes total sense in-universe, and yet the thing that happens at the very end still managed to take me somewhat by surprise. Eleanor and Isaiah's interactions and the rekindling of their relationship is especially sweet, I think. I would've preferred a more definitive ending in case there's no second season; season 1 doesn't feel like a complete narrative as much as the beginning of a longer one, which is obviously intentional, but as I've written before I'm not too keen on the idea of several seasons.

With the exception of Eleanor being able to age again (which anyone could've seen coming after Daisy was partially cured early in the season), I was pretty much wrong with all of my predictions, but the events that ended up happening instead all feel truer to the characters than what I'd suggested anyway.

I'll need some more time to chew on the season as a whole, but I don't think the finale changes my view of the show that much. It's decent--entertaining, with good performances, and I did always look forward to seeing what would happen next after each episode--but the only thing that makes it deserving of having the same title as JAL's novel is that it shares a few core elements (Ellie and Isaiah's relationship, mainly) and has a bunch of superficial references to the original that don't amount to much in the show's universe and are only there as fan service (Mark tapping to Ellie in the box, the Rubik's Cube, some lines taken verbatim from the book or film, etc. etc.). I don't know. I've noticed that my opinion on the show tends to wax and wane over time, but I generally like it more than I dislike it. As far as TV shows loosely inspired by LTROI are concerned, we probably could've gotten better, but we definitely also could've gotten far worse.
Kalpara wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:02 pm
I thought the season ending was great except for a plot point we were reminded of in the scene where Eleanor is taken to see Peter in his room; that both characters were attacked by a vampire who got their addresses at the stargazing event. What the heck? Why would a vampire need a potential victim's address? It seems like a sloppy way to connect them.
I agree that it doesn't make sense at first glance, but I think there's more to that vampire than him being a simple predator choosing a meal. There's probably a reason he was so meticulous about choosing his victims, possibly not dissimilar to the man in the wig in the novel.
Kalpara wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:02 pm
There is also something about the relationship between Eleanor and Isaiah that is a bit troubling. She is a 22 year-old woman in a child's body. To me, the boyfriend/girlfriend vibe in the series is a lot more up front than in the movie, where, at least by one interpretation, Eli is grooming Oskar to be her new caretaker, not romancing him. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else shares this feeling.
I disagree. I think the show made it clear that Eleanor, just like Elias in the book and the film, still has the mind of a child. She's not a 22-year-old in a 12-year-old's body, she's a 12-year-old in a 12-year-old's body who has stopped aging both physically and mentally. At least, I can't think of anything in the show that indicates the opposite.

And welcome to the forum, Kalpara. :)
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

danielmann861

Post by danielmann861 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:08 am

I'll admit. I still haven't watched the last 5 episodes. I kind of dropped off 5 episodes in. I might just wait until the Christmas break and power through the rest now that series is done. Honestly, I did kind of start to lose a bit of interest around Episode 4-5. But I'm gonna hold back judgment until I've seen the rest.

Marcellus

Post by Marcellus » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:13 am

danielmann861 wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:08 am
I'll admit. I still haven't watched the last 5 episodes. I kind of dropped off 5 episodes in. I might just wait until the Christmas break and power through the rest now that series is done. Honestly, I did kind of start to lose a bit of interest around Episode 4-5. But I'm gonna hold back judgment until I've seen the rest.
It's acceptable to lose interest in a series on occasion. Taking a break and blasting through the remaining episodes over the Christmas holiday sounds like a smart idea. Keeping an open mind until you've finished the full series allows you to make an accurate appraisal of its overall quality and influence.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Television Series)”