CyberGhostface

Teaser for the Showtime series

Post by CyberGhostface » Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:34 pm

No banaaaanas?

Pissball

Re: Teaser for the Showtime series

Post by Pissball » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:33 pm

Just saw this on "Bloody Disgunsting" lol
As expected, they once again passed adapting the book and we're having a crappier version of LMI.
Personally, I might watch this on some streaming service, with the fast forward button.

danielmann861

Post by danielmann861 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:32 am

First Two Lines: "Find the Host, Find the Cure."
Me: <audible groan that can be heard throughout the world>

You know, despite the fact that the fangs are very clearly on display throughout that entire trailer, I got to say, that looked very toothless.

I'm sure I'll watch it out of sheer morbid curiosity, but yeah, tell me this isn't just "generic vampire series" with vague hints of LTROI thrown in?

I don't know maybe I'm being too harsh. Maybe the idea of "find the host, find the cure" will bring something to this...but it's certainly not what I loved about LTROI. Maybe they'll bring in some stuff from the book that we haven't seen in any of the other adaptations, but it certainly won't bring in anything major.

At this point, I think I owe Matt Reeves an apology letter...at least he tried to keep it in tact with LMI. My apologies, Matt Reeves. You at least tried...even if your film was a bit too "me too" about itself.

Again, I'll watch it out of morbid curiosity...that and I'm kind of interested in seeing modern day Nick Stahl just because I really liked his performance in Larry Clark's Bully all those years ago. I always thought he should have had a better career if not for the demons in his life. But yeah...we'll see.
Last edited by danielmann861 on Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:36 pm

danielmann861 wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:32 am
First Two Lines: "Find the Host, Find the Cure."
Me: <audible groan that can be heard throughout the world>

You know, despite the fact that the fangs are very clearly on display throughout that entire trailer, I got to say, that looked very toothless.

I'm sure I'll watch it out of sheer morbid curiosity, but yeah, tell me this isn't just "generic vampire series" with vague hints of LTROI thrown in?

I don't know maybe I'm being too harsh. Maybe the idea of "find the host, find the cure" will bring something to this...but it's certainly not what I loved about LTROI. Maybe they'll bring in some stuff from the book that we haven't seen in any of the other adaptations, but it certainly won't bring in anything major.

At this point, I think I owe Matt Reeves an apology letter...at least he tried to keep it in tact with LMI. My apologies, Matt Reeves. You at least tried...even if your film was a bit too "me too" about itself.

Again, I'll watch it out of morbid curiosity...that and I'm kind of seeing modern day Nick Stahl just because I really liked his performance in Larry Clark's Bully all those years ago and I always he should have had a better career if not for the demons in his life. But yeah...we'll see.
There appears to be a person on fire in the snow which is in the book but neither of the films. So there's that :think:

From this clip it does just look like a generic vampire story, sad but not surprising tbh. I can almost hear Mark Kermode saying "Another vampire story that just happens to have kids in it".

I think Alfredson can sleep easy and I doubt he'll watch this very likely redundant version either.
"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

cmfireflies

Post by cmfireflies » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:05 pm

Not to be overly negative, but why is this a series? It's literally not possible for this to last more than one season because kids grow.
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

Blaze

Post by Blaze » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:36 pm

The truth about vampires 'infected' in their childhood:

They keep on growing to the size they would have achieved as humans. After that no aging.

Problem solved. ;)

JToede

Post by JToede » Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:11 am

danielmann861 wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:32 am
At this point, I think I owe Matt Reeves an apology letter...at least he tried to keep it in tact with LMI. My apologies, Matt Reeves. You at least tried...even if your film was a bit too "me too" about itself
I laughed way too much at this. :lol: :lol: Unfortunately, (or fortunately depending on your point of view) I don't have Showtime or any streaming services. Sooo... I'll pass.
Veni, Vidi, volo in domum redire.

danielmann861

Post by danielmann861 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:28 am

cmfireflies wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:05 pm
Not to be overly negative, but why is this a series? It's literally not possible for this to last more than one season because kids grow.
I've been wondering that myself. What's the point? Kids grow. This is a story about a kid who is forever trapped at the age of 12 years old. What could you possibly do past one season? Unless you change child actors ala Round the Twist style and every season is a "new Eli" (or whatever her name is in this.) I don't see this having much shelf life past one season...unless you keep changing child actors.

I don't want to be entirely negative either, but that trailer did not inspire much confidence. Although, as Jameron said, there is that brief shot of someone on fire in the snow. So maybe they'll bring in some nods to the book that could make it cool for us to see. I don't know. I'm trying to find positive in this. Any positive at all.

I'm sure I'll watch it just out of curiosity but I'm not hopeful given the trailer. I don't want to write it off entirely.

I did re-watch the trailer and there are a few things that scream LTROI...morse code and the like. Also, I gather we may have a female Staffan in this show (or female version of the cop from LMI.) Which makes me wonder, will they maybe bring in Tommy? Could they possibly bring in some stuff from the book that we haven't seen before? Maybe not in the same context but retooled? I don't know. I'll give it a chance come October and we'll see. I'm hoping to be surprised. I never want to be let down by anything related to LTROI, I just don't have much faith.

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:49 am

I'll reserve judgment for the full thing, but the teaser's implication that a new "finding the cure" plot will be the main driving force of the series really does not bode well IMO. At least some of the visuals look interesting.
Jameron wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:36 pm
There appears to be a person on fire in the snow which is in the book but neither of the films. So there's that :think:
danielmann861 wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:28 am
Although, as Jameron said, there is that brief shot of someone on fire in the snow. So maybe they'll bring in some nods to the book that could make it cool for us to see. I don't know. I'm trying to find positive in this. Any positive at all.
The shot of Eleanor (Eli) almost biting Isaiah (Oskar) on the playground is straight from the book as well. So at least it's not solely based on the films.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:08 pm

cmfireflies wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:05 pm
His Dark Materials season 1 & 2 were filmed together for exactly this reason. Unfortunately Covid scuppered the possibility of a close filming of season 3 (which was only going to be filmed if season 1 didn't flop). They are now filming season 3 to be released later this year but the main characters won't have aged when the actors have. The Book of Dust won't be a problem if it ever gets made as Lyra is an adult by then.
"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

Return to “Let The Right One In (Television Series)”