Let the Right One In officially ordered as a series on Showtime

For discussion of A&E's television show Let The Right One In
Siggdalos

Re: Let the Right One In officially ordered as a series on Showtime

Post by Siggdalos » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:12 pm

Milkman wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:39 pm
Has that been mentioned?? Part of the plot will be the a search for a cure?
Sort of, but not for Eleanor specifically. According to this article, one of the characters is a scientist specialized in disease research, and according to this article, another character is a vampire whose father tests a potential cure on him that backfires.
Milkman wrote:
I hope they don't find it as well. Also hope that's not the plot. Part of why I like the LTROI Universe so much is the inevitability of vampirism, which is looked upon as a disease. Once you get it, you get it. It doesn't get any easier, you either deal with it and survive, or you don't and die. There's no third option.
By even opening up the door to a possible cure, the vibe itself shifts.
I agree.
dongregg wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:36 am
Can't wait to see how they mess it up.
I've gotten more apprehensive toward the show as more news have come out about it, but I'm personally still willing to give it a chance.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

Milkman

Post by Milkman » Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:22 pm

Siggdalos wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:12 pm
Milkman wrote:
Has that been mentioned?? Part of the plot will be the a search for a cure?
Sort of, but not for Eleanor specifically. According to this article, one of the characters is a scientist specialized in disease research, and according to this article, another character is a vampire whose father tests a potential cure on him that backfires.
Milkman wrote:
I hope they don't find it as well. Also hope that's not the plot. Part of why I like the LTROI Universe so much is the inevitability of vampirism, which is looked upon as a disease. Once you get it, you get it. It doesn't get any easier, you either deal with it and survive, or you don't and die. There's no third option.
By even opening up the door to a possible cure, the vibe itself shifts.
I agree.
dongregg wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:36 am
I've gotten more apprehensive toward the show as more news have come out about it, but I'm personally still willing to give it a chance.
another character is a vampire whose father tests a potential cure on him that backfires
By "backfires" you mean he gets turned into something more vile? Hopefully they don't dare to change the physiology of the infection itself. We'll see.

Yeah I'll definitely give it a shot as well. I'm a sucker for Vampire stories, and if the way the infection works is kept the same way it worked in the movie/Novel, then I think I'll enjoy it. As long as they don't make the story too much "mushy", and too much romaticized that is.
I must be gone and live, or stay and die.

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:28 pm

From the Hollywood Reporter article I linked:
Hollywood Reporter wrote:[Jacob] Buster will play Peter, who suffers the same affliction as Eleanor. When his father tests a potential cure on him that backfires, a terrifying monster is unleashed.
That's all we know. It sounds like it either causes him to physically transform or causes him to go insane/feral. Maybe it simply kills him and turns him into an undead, as a counterpart to the novel's undead Håkan.

Personally, I don't really care about them changing the details of how the infection works. Obviously some elements have to stay (the invitation rule has to be kept in order for the title to make sense), but the most important thing to me is that it's still presented as a gross and life-ruining disease and not as some romanticized superpower. If they stay true to that spirit of the original story, I think it's fine if they tinker with the smaller details in order to fit the story they're telling. After all, TA and JAL already did that to an extent in the film (having Eli not sleep in blood, for example). Heck, JAL himself has already introduced a pretty different version of the infection: in What Kept You So Long?, the disease works very different from how it does in LTROI simply because it needed to fit the story he wanted to tell, and that's in a piece of writing that's supposed to (at least loosely) take place in the same continuity as LTROI and LTODD.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

Milkman

Post by Milkman » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:56 pm

After all, TA and JAL already did that to an extent in the film (having Eli not sleep in blood, for example). Heck, JAL himself has already introduced a pretty different version of the infection: in What Kept You So Long?, the disease works very different from how it does in LTROI simply because it needed to fit the story he wanted to tell, and that's in a piece of writing that's supposed to (at least loosely) take place in the same continuity as LTROI and LTODD.
Yeaaah, that was a very good point. Although I'm not sure I read "What kept you so long", now I'm curious. Is it a small story or ...
But yeah, I guess you're right. What I definitely would not accept is if they romanticize the disease. They have to draw the line there.

I have to say this, I'm so relieved the forum is back. Almost had a heart attack when I thought my account had been suspended. Turns out this has happened before. Oh well, there's a first time for everything I guess.
I must be gone and live, or stay and die.

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:48 pm

Milkman wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:56 pm
Although I'm not sure I read "What kept you so long", now I'm curious. Is it a small story or ...
It's a short story that JAL wrote for the vampire anthology Seize the Night in 2015. It's effectively a standalone story with its own characters, but it's connected to LTODD. I don't want to spoil the details.

danielmann861

Post by danielmann861 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:20 am

https://deadline.com/2022/01/let-the-ri ... 234920076/

Nick Stahl got cast in this upcoming American version.

Man, I haven't seen Nick Stahl in a LONG time...but I always kind of liked him as an actor in the things I did see him in.

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:08 pm

danielmann861 wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:20 am
https://deadline.com/2022/01/let-the-ri ... 234920076/

Nick Stahl got cast in this upcoming American version.

Man, I haven't seen Nick Stahl in a LONG time...but I always kind of liked him as an actor in the things I did see him in.
I think I've only ever seen Nick Stahl in Terminator 3. Back in the day there was a lot of buzz about him being cast in a Locke & Key tv series adaptation but it got cancelled after the pilot. I think he went on to play a part in the made-for-tv Locke & Key film. He was also in the acclaimed Carnivale series that I never got round to watching.

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

CyberGhostface

Post by CyberGhostface » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:28 pm

danielmann861 wrote:
Yeah he was dealing with drug issues but he's better now.
Jameron wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:08 pm
I think I've only ever seen Nick Stahl in Terminator 3. Back in the day there was a lot of buzz about him being cast in a Locke & Key tv series adaptation but it got cancelled after the pilot. I think he went on to play a part in the made-for-tv Locke & Key film. He was also in the acclaimed Carnivale series that I never got round to watching.
Carnivale was one of my favorite shows of all time. It's heartbreaking it was cancelled when it was.
No banaaaanas?

danielmann861

Post by danielmann861 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:19 pm

CyberGhostface wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:28 pm
danielmann861 wrote:
Yeah he was dealing with drug issues but he's better now.
Jameron wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:08 pm
Carnivale was one of my favorite shows of all time. It's heartbreaking it was cancelled when it was.

That's great to hear. I actually always really liked Nick Stahl ever since I first saw him in Larry Clark's Bully. I thought the kid had real potential but I guess like everyone else in that film the guy had demons he was battling.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:53 pm

But that's just me. At the same time, I aver that every creation must stand on its own feet regardless of its antecedents.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Return to “Let The Right One In (Television Series)”