Let the Right One In canceled at Showtime

For discussion of A&E's television show Let The Right One In
CyberGhostface

Let the Right One In canceled at Showtime

Post by CyberGhostface » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:26 pm

https://deadline.com/2023/01/showtime-t ... 235244624/

So Let the Right One In has been canceled in part due to a merger between Showtime and Paramount+. The show is being shopped to other networks but who knows what will happen.

It’s bittersweet for me. Demián Bechir and Madison Taylor Baez were both great and I’ll miss them but at the same time I’m not as upset as I might have been knowing how JAL was being treated behind the scenes.
No banaaaanas?

Jedi Apprentice

Re: Let the Right One In canceled at Showtime

Post by Jedi Apprentice » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:45 am

I'm glad they canceled it. They could have made a much more faithful adaptation to JAL's book, depicting great things that didn't make it into any movie adaptation, like Tommy or Zombie Hakan, but no, it's much better to just create a clichéd and different show whose story feels more like a inspired product rather than feeling like a direct adaptation. Also, the way they treated JAL was completely disrespectful. What a waste of money 🤦

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:09 pm

Mixed feelings about this (much as I have mixed feelings about the show itself). If it doesn't get picked back up, part of me is going to, as CyberGhostface says, miss Bichir and Baez's performances and feel sad if the story doesn't get a resolution after Season 1's cliffhanger ending. Another part is going to feel a bit of schadenfreude and hope that this dissuades any future attempts to keep milking the property across the pond.

Meh. I dunno. I won't be shedding any tears if it remains dead, but it was an experiment that I enjoyed while it lasted. I half expected it to get canceled after Season 1 anyway since it doesn't exactly seem to have been a smash hit in terms of viewership.
Jedi Apprentice wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:45 am
I'm glad they canceled it. They could have made a much more faithful adaptation to JAL's book, depicting great things that didn't make it into any movie adaptation, like Tommy or Zombie Hakan, but no, it's much better to just create a clichéd and different show whose story feels more like a inspired product rather than feeling like a direct adaptation.
As far as I know, it was never advertised as a direct adaptation so much as a loosely inspired reimagining.

Personally, I'd rather have a version of the story that tries to do something new with the familar core (the Oskar-Eli-Håkan drama) and approach things from a new direction than one that completely retreads old ground. Would I rather have had a 100% faithful adaptation, including all the stuff that was left out of previous versions? I think so, yes. But I can image that most TV producers don't want to touch things like Eli's castration or Zombie Håkan with a ten-foot pole, so most likely it would have been watered down and ended up feeling mostly like a redundant third version of Alfredson's film.
Jedi Apprentice wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:45 am
Also, the way they treated JAL was completely disrespectful.
I agree.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

Jedi Apprentice

Post by Jedi Apprentice » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:47 pm

Even though the show was never advertised as a direct adaptation, I find kinda insulting how they prefered more to create a different story rather than being accurate to the original material, specially considering how great the book is. Not being 100% faithful is not always bad, but I think they went TOO far in this case. If you ask me, they should have just stablished the show as a completely different product inspired by the book rather than an official adaptation.
Speaking of the disturbing material of the book, I know there were things that, obviously, couldn't be depicted out of paper. However, I think they could have, at least, implied them in a pretty subtle way without being too unpleasant for the viewer. Anyway, If I tell you the truth, the book is so good that a 100% faithful adaptation would still be awesome instead of just feeling like a carbon copy of the film and/or the book as long as the elements are well managed, of course.

danielmann861

Post by danielmann861 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:16 pm

To be honest, I kind of gave up on it 4 episodes in. I should maybe go back and finish it but it honestly lost my interest in terms of the main characters. I'll go back and watch the rest of it at some point, but I'm not surprised it didn't make it past one season. It didn't seem to have much in the way of legs in terms of grabbing a mainstream audience...which is what you really need to get a second series of anything these days.

Is that Korean version still happening? I'm still kind of intrigued by that version if it still is happening. Just because it would be interesting to see this story play out in a Korean setting.

CyberGhostface

Post by CyberGhostface » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:37 pm

The Korean version is still in development as far as I know. But yeah that should be interesting.

Doesn’t really apply to LTROI but I remember when Park Chan-wook made Thirst one of the things he did away with was the aversion to garlic; as everyone puts garlic in their food in Korea a traditional vampire wouldn’t last long there. I thought that was pretty funny.
No banaaaanas?

andmker

Post by andmker » Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:08 am

Can't say that I'm disappointed. I felt the series had a "Blade" feel about it. Very inconsistant characters. There were a few good things (very few) and loads of things I didn't like. I really struggled to finish the series. Even if it didn't have the LTROI name, it couldn't stand up by itself. Shame as we waited years for it and it obviously had potential.

Pissball

Post by Pissball » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:14 am

The show failed to engage people, otherwise the forum would have increase it activities and the interest in LTROI would be revived..
ANYONE who sees the movie or read the book for the first time is almost instantly "infected" like us, the show didn't do that obviously, and they had extra hours (episodes) that the movie didnt, and yet they failed :|

Those Tomorrow Studios folks are total hacks. They had the rights since 2015 and struggled to produce it over the years, and all this for an average show super departed from the source material. And remember that the TNT version was completely different (with a blonde teenager Eli or something) it means they had zero vision of what they wanted for the series..

danielmann861

Post by danielmann861 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:57 pm

CyberGhostface wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:37 pm
The Korean version is still in development as far as I know. But yeah that should be interesting.

Doesn’t really apply to LTROI but I remember when Park Chan-wook made Thirst one of the things he did away with was the aversion to garlic; as everyone puts garlic in their food in Korea a traditional vampire wouldn’t last long there. I thought that was pretty funny.
Man, just reading that reminded me of just how good Thirst really was. Thirst and Let the Right One In were easily the two best vampire films of that decade. Nothing else came close to touching them.

Jessy7217

Post by Jessy7217 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:16 pm

danielmann861 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:16 pm
To be honest, I kind of gave up on it 4 episodes in. I should maybe go back and finish it but it honestly lost my interest in terms of the main characters. I'll go back and watch the rest of it at some point, but I'm not surprised it didn't make it past one season. It didn't seem to have much in the way of legs in terms of grabbing a mainstream audience...which is what you really need to get a second series of anything these days.

Is that Korean version still happening? I'm still kind of intrigued by that version if it still is happening. Just because it would be interesting to see this story play out in a Korean setting.
Wait. A Korean version? Will it be based on the book? I really love Korean movies and dramas.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Television Series)”