Let The Right One In is being remade into a Korean TV series

For discussion of A&E's television show Let The Right One In
Tom

Let The Right One In is being remade into a Korean TV series

Post by Tom » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:52 am

https://zapzee.net/2022/01/21/swedish-r ... -in-korea/

The Swedish horror film Let the Right One In will be reborn as an OTT series in Korea.

TAKEONE STUDIO announced on Friday that they’ve signed a co-production contract with Film Monster to remake the movie Let the Right One In into an OTT series.

Tomas Alfredson’s movie Let the Right One In is based on the 2004 novel of the same title by John Ajvide Lindqvist. It tells the story of a 12-year-old boy who develops a romantic relationship with a female child vampire. Though it’s a romantic horror film, it depicts the process of two people alienated from the world and school coming together to understand each other.

Also In 2010, the English adaptation of the movie titled Let Me In was released with Matt Reeves as the director.

“We plan to create a new work by adding Korean sensibility and characteristics of TV series to the original movie’s innocence and dreamlike atmosphere,” TAKEONE STUDIO explained. “The remake will start filming in the second half of this year after tabbing the director and finalizing the cast.”

Siggdalos

Re: Let The Right One In is being remade into a Korean TV series

Post by Siggdalos » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:18 pm

So we're getting an American and a Korean show around the same time. I certainly wasn't expecting that.

On a personal note, I think it's slightly disappointing how all these remakes only use the film as a basis. I'd be more interested in a series that tries to do a new adaptation of the book and includes more of the original characters and subplots that were left out of the two films.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:52 pm

The fact that they reference the innocence of the main characters makes me hopeful that the theme will remain. Another element of Korean dramas is that they allow enough time for the audience to digest and consider developments in the story. I'm part way through watching Goblin, the main characters are 19 and 900+ (that's not really a spoiler) and yet there is so much innocence in their communication and interaction it's honestly refreshing. Sure, Goblin is mainly a romantic drama, but then again at its core so is Let The Right One In.
"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

CyberGhostface

Post by CyberGhostface » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:23 pm

This actually has me excited. Korean cinema has been putting out some great stuff.
No banaaaanas?

danielmann861

Post by danielmann861 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:34 pm

I think I would be more excited if it were a Korean film remake, but unless Korean TV has gotten better in terms of production quality, I don't have much hope. But to be fair, I haven't watched a Korean TV series in years so maybe they upped their production quality

My dream would still be to see a Korean film remake made by Park Chan Wook. That would be something.

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:13 pm

danielmann861 wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:34 pm
I think I would be more excited if it were a Korean film remake, but unless Korean TV has gotten better in terms of production quality, I don't have much hope. But to be fair, I haven't watched a Korean TV series in years so maybe they upped their production quality
Just finished Goblin (2016), now watching Secret Forest (2017), production quality seems fine to me. Watched Squid Game recently and production quality was better, so maybe they are using Netflix's money wisely?
danielmann861 wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:34 pm
My dream would still be to see a Korean film remake made by Park Chan Wook. That would be something.
Oh my god, dare to dream. Now that would be worth seeing in a cinema.
"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

CyberGhostface

Post by CyberGhostface » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:13 pm

I’ve been watching Squid Game and All Of Us Are Dead on Netflix and both are pretty high in terms of production quality.

I’m just hoping this gets an official English language release. I hope the Showtime series doesn’t bury it.
No banaaaanas?

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:47 pm

https://www.johnajvidelindqvist.com/article.php?id=142
John är inte inblandad personligen i projektet.
[John is not personally involved in the project.]
In case we needed confirmation of this.

Pissball

Post by Pissball » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:40 pm

I'm not sure if this is good or bad.

Korean cinema is bold, but I'm pretty sure their TV is full of atrociuos high school "idol" dramas/romances. Same for Japan and East Asia in general.

If this is the second case, I am afraid we will have a Korean twilight. A 20-something kpop idol will playan angsty but cutesy and emo Eli, and the same goes for Oskar. Rather than a pissball I expect a complete cheeseball.

If this is more like cinema, I hope it's something like "The Wailing" or "Memories of Murder", The Vengeance Trilogy etc. And so we finally got to see the book adapted with everything that was left from the movie.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Television Series)”